Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unique Directory and Folder Deletion Script Post 302328493 by b4sher on Wednesday 24th of June 2009 12:00:31 PM
Old 06-24-2009
This will run locally. Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Deletion of Data from Lost+Found Directory

Hie I am running a sun solaris server of about 300 gigabytes disk capacity. The problem is that the machine has been having problems over the past year and at times the machine would just freeze or hang and had to be re-booted. Consequently there are too many entries in the lost+found... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ranganai
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Script for automatic deletion of old folder

Hi, I have a folder with limited space. So i have to delete folder which are more than 5 days old automatically. So my script should be like delete the folder more than 5 days old. Can someone help me to generate a script for this. Thank you... Cheer Summer (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: summerpeh
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

file and directory deletion script

I saw many post about this but could not find a specific answer to this question. i have the following code find . -depth -name "$FILEEXT" -ctime -30 -exec rm {} \; when i type ./deletefiles.sh *.txt for example, it will find all the txt files less than 30 days old and delete them. my... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2learn09
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

isolate unique files in a folder

Hello, I have two folders. One has 1183 text files (folder A). The other (folder B) has 1160 of those 1183 files (the contents in these 1160 files are identical to the contents in the corresponding files in the other folder, but the names of the files in this folder are completely different... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: juliette salexa
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename folder/directory after running sort script

Hello, I'm trying to create a script that sorts documents by author (found in file name) and then create a directory for that author. For example, Input: John - Paper_1.txt John - Paper_2.txt Mark - Paper_1.txt Jill - Paper_1.txt Output: dir/John/Paper_1.txt dir/John/Paper_2.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jl487
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

unique words in files of folder and its subfolders

Hello, I tried to count all unique words of all files in one folder and its subfolders. Can anybody say me, why this doesnt work: ls| find -d | cat | tr "\ " "\n"| uniq -u | wc -l ??? Cat writes only the names of those files, but not the wors, which should be in them. Thanks for any advice. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dworza
9 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Trying to delete a directory pattern-selective deletion

Trying to delete a directory or a file using a pattern-selective deletion (using “*” and “?” ) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: herberwz
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Forceful deletion of folder not working

Hello, I am trying to delete a folder forcefully using the command: rm -rf <dir name> but its still asking for confirmation. Please help me out with a solution. scenario: bash-3.00$ chmod 777 gcc-3.4.2 bash-3.00$ bash-3.00$ bash-3.00$ bash-3.00$ rm -rf gcc-3.4.2/ rm: examine files in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishisnow
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Enter a Directory (Folder Name Contains Spaces)

I am writing a shell script to cd to a folder. folder name is "October Scripts" I am currently storing the name of folder in a shell variable as so path="October\ Scripts/". If I do cd $path I receive the error bash: cd: October\: No such file or directory What am I doing wrong? Kindly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand2308
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting for moving folder specific files into target directory of that country folder.

I need help to write shell script to copy files from one server to another server. Source Directory UAE(inside i have another folder Misc with files inside UAE folder).I have to copy this to another server UAE folder( Files should be copied to UAE folder and Misc files should be copied in target... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naresh2389
3 Replies
NEW(1)                                                               [nmh-1.5]                                                              NEW(1)

NAME
new - report on folders with new messages fnext - set current folder to next folder with new messages fprev - set current folder to previous folder with new messages unseen - scan new messages in all folders with new messages SYNOPSIS
new [sequences] [-mode mode] [-folders foldersfile] [-version] [-help] fnext is equivalent to new -mode fnext fprev is equivalent to new -mode fprev unseen is equivalent to new -mode unseen DESCRIPTION
New in its default mode produces a one-line-per-folder listing of all folders containing messages in the listed sequences or in the sequences listed in the profile entry "Unseen-Sequence". Each line contains the folder, the number of messages in the desired sequences, and the message lists from the .mh_sequences file. For example: foo 11.* 40-50 bar 380. 760-772 824-828 total 391. The `*' on foo indicates that it is the current folder. The last line shows the total number of messages in the desired sequences. New crawls the folder hierarchy recursively to find all folders, and prints them in lexicographic order. Override this behavior by provid- ing foldersfile containing the pre-sorted list of folders new should check, one per line. In fnext and fprev modes, new instead changes to the next or previous matching folder, respectively. In unseen mode, new executes scan sequences for each matching folder. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Unseen-Sequence: The name of the unseen message sequence SEE ALSO
scan(1), mh-format(5) HISTORY
Based on Luke Mewburn's new (http://www.mewburn.net/luke/src/new). MH.6.8 11 June 2012 NEW(1)