Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove the comment symbol ' from a file. Post 302328169 by pludi on Tuesday 23rd of June 2009 03:14:23 PM
Old 06-23-2009
Code:
grep -v "^'" filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

remove single-line comment

Does anyone knows how to write a program to remove single-line comment in C program? that means it don't read anything behind // (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Icy002
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Invoke URL's from file and comment with # symbol which are not working

Hi All, my intention is read urls from a file (what ever url's it may be) but the url's which are not opening i.e which displays 404 , page not found error and so on should be commented in the file with # symbol. for the correct url's : nothing to be done(except script should validate... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsp
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove verticalbar or pipe symbol

hi guys i have 6000 rows column the text in the column has the symbol vertical bar |. i tried some of the commands to remove it but none of the commands are reconzng this symbol. would u plz help to remove this symbol from the text with any kind of unix command u r help would be appreciated ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bogu0001
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need perl regular expression to remove the comment

I need a perl substitution to remove only the comment in the line . That line may have '#' with in double quotes .I used the following , s/(^.*\".+?#.+?\".+?)(#.*)/$1/g It works for , print " not a comment # not a comment " . "not a comment # not a comment" ; # It is a comment ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthigayan
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove degree symbol from the TXT files?

I have TXT files to process but they contain the degree symbols in them due to which the processing program fails on these files. I want a unix command that will remove the degree symbols from these files. I tried using the sed command: sed 's///g' filename but it did not work. This issue... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: khedu
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

add line and remove comment in some script

Hi, i need some help. i am not sure about my idea. I have a script directory under my home directory,which has a lot of scripts in it. These are some names of the scripts in /axxhome/prdv/script aly300.sh axt300.sh arv300.sh clp300.sh ctth300.sh aly400.sh axt400.sh arv400.sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: debu000
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove caret (^) symbol from pattern using sed

Hi, I am trying to remove the caret symbol from a bash variable. This is the variable: var="GOTAN^TOK^B"and this is the code I am trying to use to remove the caret symbol: nocarrot=`echo $var | sed -e 's/^/_/g'`This is the output intended (but not acheived with the above function):... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove/replace the very first character/symbol match

cat file.txt file 1123.x July 23:222 /cd/hh2/k39/ss2/f7d8d9d8e6r5t4s/dd2/e/s7a/s7a2afa5017d8b975-1.7-1395610245-b22e19bbc477b134 i wish to only extract out the 1.7 (anything within the first - -) i try to look for the sed command under match the first occurence of pattern but out of luck, my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctphua
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove pipe(|) symbol ina file, except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes

I have file with are delimited by pipe(|) symbol, I wanted those to be removed except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes. If your quote file is: |Life is |Beautiful"|"Indeed life |is beautiful too|"|"But unix is fun| is not"|" It should return: Life is Beautiful"|"Indeed life is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sathyapts
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove Comment Lines From Script/Input File

Hello, I have a SAS code that predominantly has comments line and the real code like below and i want to remove ONLY THE COMMENTS from the code in the single line or spanned across multiple lines. /******************************************************************** *** This Is a Comment... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arooonatr
4 Replies
BZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 BZGREP(1)

NAME
bzgrep, bzfgrep, bzegrep - search possibly bzip2 compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
bzgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzegrep [ egrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzfgrep [ fgrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Bzgrep is used to invoke the grep on bzip2-compressed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If bzgrep is invoked as bzegrep or bzfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, bzgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep bzgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; bzgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca). Adapted to bzip2 by Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> for Debian GNU/Linux. SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), bzdiff(1), bzmore(1), bzless(1), bzip2(1) BZGREP(1)