Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Corrupted disk on reboot
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Corrupted disk on reboot Post 302327719 by vbe on Monday 22nd of June 2009 12:05:25 PM
Old 06-22-2009
Powering off/on a UNIX system is a killer, it is not a PC with MS...
You have no other choice but to go single user /maintenance level and use fsck on all the file systems before you can mount them...
(Hope you will not need your backups...)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

LV corrupted

I'm getting the following error after we replaced a failed disk in a mirrored logical volume. We cleared the device entry in ODM before adding the new disk but when we create the mirror we get the following error after running lslv. 0516-022 lslv: Illegal parameter or structure value.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alfredo Jimenez
1 Replies

2. Solaris

different between soft reboot and hard reboot

Hi Guru's Can any want here could explain to me the different between soft reboot and hard reboot . Best Regards Seelan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seelan3
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Could be a corrupted file?

Hello! Do you know the meaning of... "crw-rw---- 1 informix informix 64 0x020001 Jan 21 2004 rifxroot" I don't know what the first "c" means. Furthermor, if I try to copy this file (rifxroot) it appears a message: "cp: cannot open rifxroot: No such device or address" I don't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaugrs
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Can't access external disk after reboot

Hi, I have an HP RX4640 running HP-UX 11iv3 with two internal disks and its connected to a HP disk system 2400 with fibre cable. If the storage system is online before the server is on then the server can't find the disks. And I get the following error messages: vgchange: Warning: Couldn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoff
3 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

/etc/name_to_sysnum corrupted

Hi all , i have an issue in netra 20 server when i boot the system its getting rebooting and it is giving tha" /etc/name_to_sysnum " file not found i done OK> boot -ar then also not solved please can any body send the answer ASAP regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wkbn86
3 Replies

6. Solaris

corrupted motherboard

hi i have a sun server V890 and i added two cpu/memory modules to it but it caused the motherboard to become corrupted could you please help me find what causes this problem and how to avoid it because i changed the corrupted motherboard and i want to do the expansion and I'm scared that ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bahjatm
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cronjob corrupted

dear all , i was trying to run a cron as root , something happened because it displayed "/tmp/crontabC5a4lB" 14 lines, 495 characters cron may not be running - call your system administrator does anyone knows the problems? thanks ---------- Post updated at 01:05 PM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: semaan
2 Replies

8. AIX

How can we re-mount the RAM disk automatically after the reboot on AIX?

Hi All, I was trying to know more about RAM disk concept in AIX. I found something on IBM site. I was able to create and use/delete RAM disk as per IBM instructions. But as you guys know, this RAM disk is a temporary storage. (*when ever we reboot the AIX LPAR, content/RAM disk will be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
4 Replies

9. Hardware

Files getting corrupted

$ uname -a Linux darksun 3.13.0-36-generic #63-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 3 21:30:45 UTC 2014 i686 athlon i686 GNU/Linux My files are getting corrupted on a frequent basis. $ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rlopes
10 Replies
reboot(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 reboot(8)

NAME
reboot - Restarts the machine SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/reboot [-dlnq] DESCRIPTION
When the system is running and multiple users are logged in, use the shutdown -r command to perform a reboot operation. If no users are logged in, use the reboot command. The reboot command normally stops all running processes, syncs the disks, logs the reboot, and writes a shutdown entry in the login accounting file, /var/adm/wtmp. The reboot command uses the sync call to synchronize the disks, and to perform other shutdown activities such as resynchronizing the hard- ware time-of-day clock. After these activities, the system reboots. By default, the system starts and the file systems are automatically checked. If the start-up activities are successful, the system comes up in the default run-level. You must have root privileges to use this command. Using the -n flag can result in file system damage. FLAGS
Generates a crash dump of the system before halting it. Can be used with any of the other flags. Does not log the reboot using syslog Does not sync the disks or log the reboot using syslog Performs a quick reboot without first shutting down running processes; does not log the reboot using syslog EXAMPLES
To enable the default reboot action, enter: reboot This command causes the system to stop all running processes, sync the disks, log the shutdown, and perform other routine shutdown and reboot activities. To shut down the system without logging the reboot, enter: reboot -l This command shuts down the system and performs all shutdown and reboot activities, except logging the shutdown. To reboot the system abruptly, enter: reboot -q This command reboots the system abruptly without shutting down running processes. FILES
Specifies the command path Specifies the login accounting file Specifies the path of the syslog daemon RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: fsck(8), halt(8), init(8), savecore(8) shutdown(8), syslogd(8) Functions: reboot(2), sync(2), syslog(3) delim off reboot(8)