Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Read two files at a time.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read two files at a time. Post 302327648 by Scott on Monday 22nd of June 2009 09:10:52 AM
Old 06-22-2009
Code:
C1=1
C2=1
exec 3< my_second_file
while read LINE1; do
  read LINE2 <&3
  echo "Line $C1 from file 1: $LINE1"
  echo "  Line $C2 from file 2: $LINE2"
  let C1=$C1+1
  let C2=$C2+1
done < my_first_file

Last edited by vgersh99; 06-22-2009 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: code tags, PLEASE!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read and write files one line at a time.

Hi! All! I am wirting a shell script in which i want to read one line at a time from the file and write it simultaneouly to other file one line at a time. Please let me know about some shell utility which can help me out. Thanx. If further clarifications are needed then please let me know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_chopra
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal Hungup at the time of read

Hi, There are two scripts. The second script is called from the first one. These will create two processes on unix. In the second script, there is a read statement in the while loop. Under unexpected conditions, at the time of reading response from the user, if the terminal hungup happens,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pkusumam
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read a list one at a time

just have a muddled head at the moment... bare with me. say i have a variable $count... and a list in a file i want to use the $count line from that textfile but don't seem to recall how to access it? eg user=`cat file1.txt` # user to be $count line in that list? eg david... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nortypig
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read max of 10 file at a time?

Hi All, Please advise . Welcome more suggestions. For examples, I have 1000 file with prefix x??? In fact, I want to convert them to x???.txt with max 10 files at a time. As such, I will need to call another script to read from those 10 *txt files and sleep 5000 to convert the next 10 again.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cedrichiu
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

read() wont allow me to read files larger than 2 gig (on a 64bit)

Hi the following c-code utilizing the 'read()' man 2 read method cant read in files larger that 2gig. Hi I've found a strange problem on ubuntu64bit, that limits the data you are allowed to allocate on a 64bit platform using the c function 'read()' The following program wont allow to allocate... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkeyking
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File read time

hi, how to check the file latest read time.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash piped while-read and a read user input at the same time

Hi I am new to writing script and want to use a Bash Piped while-read and read from user input. if something happens on server.log then do while loop or if something happend on user input then do while loop. Pseudocode something like: tail -n 3 -f server.log | while read serverline || read... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyMorris
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read two lines at time from a file

Hello community, what I need to do is read 2 rows at time from a file. I have this simple solution: File to read: LINE1 LINE2 LINE3 LINE4 LINE5 LINE6 LINE7 LINE8Read routine:#!/bin/ksh sed '1,3d' /out.txt | while read line; do read line2 echo $line $line2 doneResult:LINE1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
5 Replies

9. IP Networking

Read() time out in socket programming

Hi, When can the read() system call gives timeout error when the same connection worked for writing data to the other end of the socket, while the next call with read() gives timeout error? Can anyone please explain when this kind of situation appears? Thanks, Sanzee (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to read multiple files at same time through UNIX scripting?

How to read multiple files at simultaneously? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priyanka_M
1 Replies
exec(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exec(1)

NAME
exec, eval, source - shell built-in functions to execute other commands SYNOPSIS
sh exec [argument...] eval [argument...] csh exec command eval argument... source [-h] name ksh *exec [arg...] *eval [arg...] DESCRIPTION
sh The exec command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and, if no other arguments are given, cause the shell input/output to be modified. The arguments to the eval built-in are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. csh exec executes command in place of the current shell, which terminates. eval reads its arguments as input to the shell and executes the resulting command(s). This is usually used to execute commands generated as the result of command or variable substitution. source reads commands from name. source commands may be nested, but if they are nested too deeply the shell may run out of file descrip- tors. An error in a sourced file at any level terminates all nested source commands. -h Place commands from the file name on the history list without executing them. ksh With the exec built-in, if arg is given, the command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and affect the current process. If no arguments are given the effect of this command is to mod- ify file descriptors as prescribed by the input/output redirection list. In this case, any file descriptor numbers greater than 2 that are opened with this mechanism are closed when invoking another program. The arguments to eval are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. EXIT STATUS
For ksh: If command is not found, the exit status is 127. If command is found, but is not an executable utility, the exit status is 126. If a redi- rection error occurs, the shell exits with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec returns a zero exit status. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 exec(1)