Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete lines that starts with a certain letter Post 302327603 by methyl on Monday 22nd of June 2009 08:15:55 AM
Old 06-22-2009
Or

Code:
grep -v \^x file.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display lines not starts with #

hiiiii $ grep ^"#" $file Will give the lines , which starts with # .And I wanna get the lines which are not starting with #. How to implement that. Thanking you Krish:b: (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete lines from a file which starts with a specific pattern

I need to delete those lines from a file, which starts with 45. How to do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete all characters that aren't a letter or number

hey :) if i have a variable that is example=lewisdenny(copywrite symbol) so its not a nomal letter but a symbol, how can i remove everything in the varible that isnt letter or number thanks :) and as a side little question do you know how to remove .zip from a file like if i ls... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewisdenny
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete the line if the first letter is a single digit

Hi, I'm trying to acheive the following, I have a dat file in which i have several addresses, If the address starts with a single digit then i have to delete the line, if it starts with 2 or more digits then i have to keep the line Here is a sample of my file: 377 CARRER DE LA... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy lines that starts with either 3 or 4 into new file?

Hi Guys, I have an awk script that would search the input file for line that starts with a number 3 and copies into a new text file. I want to extend this script to find the lines that either starts with 3 or a or b and copy all those lines into the new file. Here is what I have so far:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amith821
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem ---to remove the lines which starts with one type of character

Hi, I have one file, I need to check if file exist or not and then remove the lines which starts with ? My file1.out data is some thing abcabcppp xyzxyzpqr ????????? ????????? Output should be in test.out abcabcppp xyzxyzpqr I am getting the output as below but the File does not exist... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramyajiguru1
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete all words not containing letter /s/

I have a word file that looks like: pens binder spiral user I want to delete all the words without the letter /s/, so output looks like: pens spiral user I tried using sed: sed '//d' infile.txt > out.txt (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxalpine
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File lines starts with # not processed or exclude that lines

I have requirement in my every files starting lines have # needs to be not processing or exclude the that lines. I have written a code like below, but now working as expected getting ERROR" line 60: 1 #!/bin/sh 2 echo ======= LogManageri start ========== 3 4 #This directory is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File lines starts with # not processed or exclude that lines from processing

I have a file like below #Fields section bald 1234 2345 456 222 abcs dddd dddd ssss mmmm mmm mmm i need do not process a files stating with # I was written code below while read -r line do if then echo ${line} >> elif then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to write a shell script that starts one, then kills it, then starts another?

This is on a CentOS box, I have two scripts that need to run in order. I want to write a shell script that calls the first script, lets it run and then terminates it after a certain number of hours (that I specify of course), and then calls the second script (they can't run simultaneously) which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: btramer
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)