Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Vi Mode of Shell Not Starting Post 302327518 by DukeNuke2 on Monday 22nd of June 2009 03:41:48 AM
Old 06-22-2009
afaik the vi mode only works for korn shell!?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help starting a simple shell script.

I've been sitting here for 6 hours typing out all kinds of different ridiculous(very pointless) shell scripts for a low-level UNIX class. I'm tired.. and want to go to bed :o Can somebody please help get me on the right path to starting this damn script? i'm useless after all these hours and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dickmartin
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Starting application using shell scripts

Hi All, I want to write a shell script which will start some application lets say "Windows media player". Please let me know your inputs. Thanks in advance, Niyati (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Niyati
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manage starting point in shell script.

Hi, I'd like to run a script with an optional starting point. Meaning that if no parameter for the script => Do everything, otherwise start from the point specified in the parameter and continue till the end. I thought of using the "case ..." but I have no result. Script: # ---------------... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ai_dba
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for extracting out the shortest substring from the given starting and en

hi all, i need an urgent help for writing a shell script which will extract out and print a substring which is the shortest substring from the given string where first and last character of that substring will be given by the user. for e.g. if str="abcdpqracdpqaserd" now if the user gives 'a'... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
18 Replies

5. Red Hat

identifying SU mode by shell script

the following bash script is not working in fedora-11 Could anyone help me please? #!/bin/bash if -ne 0];then echo " you are in root" else echo " you must be in root -su mode??" fi exit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Turtel
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Starting a C++ program from shell script

Hi, I have a little problem...I want to do the following things: Have my own little script that has 2/3 functions and starts a c++ application using some parameters. The problems appear when I start the c++ app using the shell script, the c++ takes over and after I ctrl+c the script... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: valiadi
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Starting Shell Scripting

Hi, I am new to shell scripting ,infact today only i started working on it. Can any body tell me some Good tutorials that i can use and that are easy to understand I shall be obliged (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gousia
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Commands for starting DC Shell

hello, How can i initialize the DC shell in Linux (REDHAT) terminal ??? thank u. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DEBASHISH DASH
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
umask(1)						      General Commands Manual							  umask(1)

NAME
umask - set or display the file mode creation mask SYNOPSIS
Set Mask Display Mask DESCRIPTION
The command sets the value of the file mode creation mask or displays the current one. The mask affects the initial value of the file mode (permission) bits for subsequently created files. Setting the File Mode Creation Mask The command sets a new file mode creation mask for the current shell execution environment. mask can be a symbolic or numeric (obsoles- cent) value. A symbolic mask provides a flexible way of modifying the mask permission bits individually or as a group. A numeric mask specifies all the permission bits at one time. When a mask is specified, no output is written to standard output. A symbolic mask replaces or modifies the current file mode creation mask. It is specified as a comma-separated list of operations in the following format. Whitespace is not permitted. [who][operator][permissions][, ...] The fields can have the following values: who One or more of the following letters: Modify permissions for user (owner). Modify permissions for group. Modify permissions for others. Or: Modify permissions for all = operator One of the following symbols: Add permissions to the existing mask for who. Delete permissions from the existing mask for who. Replace the existing mask for who with permissions. permissions One or more of the following letters: The read permission. The write permission. The execute/search permission. If one or two of the fields are omitted, the following table applies: | Format Entered Effect | Input Equals ---------------------------------------------------------+---------------- who Delete current permissions for who | operator No action | (none) permissions Equal to: | Delete current permissions for who | No action | (none) No action | (none) whopermissions Equal to: | operatorpermissions Equal to: | A numeric mask replaces the current file mode creation mask. It is specified as an unsigned octal integer, constructed from the logical OR (sum) of the following mode bits (leading zeros can be omitted): Displaying the Current Mask Value To display the current file mode creation mask value, use one of the commands: Print the current file mode creation mask in a symbolic format: The characters (read), (write), and (execute/search) represent the bits that are clear in the mask for (user/owner), (group), and (other). All other bits are set. Print the current file mode creation mask as an octal value. The zero bits in the numeric value correspond to the displayed and permission characters in the symbolic value. The one bits in the numeric value correspond to the missing permission characters in the symbolic value. Depending on implementation, the display consists of one to four octal digits; the first digit is always zero (see DEPENDENCIES). The rightmost three digits (leading zeros implied as needed) represent the bits that are set or clear in the mask. Both forms produce output that can be used as the mask argument to set the mask in a subsequent command. General Operation When a new file is created (see creat(2)), each bit that is set in the file mode creation mask causes the corresponding permission bit in the the file mode to be cleared (disabled). Conversely, bits that are clear in the mask allow the corresponding file mode bits to be enabled in newly created files. For example, the mask (octal disables group and other write permissions. As a result, files normally created with a file mode shown by the command as (octal become mode (octal while files created with file mode (octal become mode (octal Note that the file creation mode mask does not affect the set-user-id, set-group-id, or "sticky" bits. The file creation mode mask is also used by the command (see chmod(1)). Since affects the current shell execution environment, it is generally provided as a shell regular built-in (see DEPENDENCIES). If is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment, such as one of the following: it does not affect the file mode creation mask of the calling environment. The default mask is (octal RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: The file mode creation mask was successfully changed or no mask operand was supplied. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
In these examples, each line show an alternate way of accomplishing the same task. Set the value to produce read and write permissions for the file's owner and read permissions for all others displays on newly created files): Set the value to produce read, and write permissions for the file's owner, read-only for others users in the same group, and no access to others Set the value to deny read, write, and execute permissions to everyone Add the write permission to the current mask for everyone (there is no equivalent numeric mode): WARNINGS
If you set a mask that prevents read or write access for the user (owner), many programs, such as editors, that create temporary files will fail because they cannot access the file data. DEPENDENCIES
The command is implemented both as a separate executable file and as built-in shell commands. POSIX Shell and Separate File All features are supported (see sh-posix(1)). The numeric mask display uses a minimum of two digits. Korn Shell The option is not supported in the Korn shell built-in command (see ksh(1)). The numeric mask display uses a minimum of two digits. C Shell The option and symbolic mask values are not supported in the C shell built-in command (see csh(1)). The numeric mask display uses a mini- mum of one digit. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh-posix(1), sh(1), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
umask(1)