Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Howto make ksh skript bash-compatible with backticks Post 302326861 by doc_symbiosis on Friday 19th of June 2009 04:30:56 AM
Old 06-19-2009
Howto make ksh skript bash-compatible with backticks

I have the following ksh-script:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
# Ueberprüfe, ob genau ein Parameter angegeben wurde
test "$#" -eq "1"  || { echo "USAGE: path_cleanup <PATH_NAME>"; return 1; }

# Ueberpruefe, ob awk und nawk installiert sind
test -x /bin/nawk || { echo "ERROR: nawk is not installed"; return 1; }
test -x /usr/xpg4/bin/awk || { echo "ERROR: awk is not installed"; return 1; }

# Schreibe den Inhalt von $1 nach PATH_CONTENT
PATH_CONTENT=$(eval echo \$$1)

# Loesche alle doppelt vorkkomenden Verzeichnisse aus PATH_CONTENT von hinten beginnend
PATH_CONTENT=`echo "$PATH_CONTENT" | /usr/xpg4/bin/awk -v RS=':' -v ORS=":" '!a[$0]++' | /bin/nawk 'NR==1'`

export $1=$PATH_CONTENT

Now I want to make this script bash compatible. Problem is line 10. When I replace it with the following, it returns the PID and not the path content:
Code:
PATH_CONTENT=`eval echo \$$1`

So, what do I have to do, because the $() doesn't work in bash.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Howto make an URL world readable

Currently this url: http://bioinfo-z.comp.nus.edu.sg/Test/ Is only accessible through my local network (for external user need VPN). My question is how can I make that URL accessible for everybody even those outside my network? That url is served under Solaris 10 and I do have SU... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkfan
3 Replies

2. Gentoo

cpu%/mem% usage, scripting, dzen2: howto learn bash the hard way

I am trying to write a small (and rather simple) script to gather some info about the system and piping it to dzen2 first, i want to explain some things. I know i could have used conky, but my intention was to expand my knowledge of bash, pipes and redirections inside a script, and to have fun... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make your bash script run on a machine with csh and bash

hi, i have a script that runs on bash and would like to run it on a machine that has csh and bash. the default setting on that machine is csh. i dont want to change my code to run it with a csh shell. is there any way i can run the script (written in bash) on this machine? in other words is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help howto make a script for Set SNOOP run for 5 minutes

Hi all, I want to monitoring my interface every 6 hours where i want to run snoop command to capture all packet through the interface, so i want running snoop then snoop will run for 5 minutes after that snoop stop then will start again after 6 hours than run for 5 minutes again. thereis any... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tindasz
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

HowTo translate KSH Scripts to DOS Batch Files ?

Hi there, in near future I have to change my work surrounding from HP UNIX to Windows Vista (great to get rid of old hardware :), but bad to loose UNIX :( ). As I heavily use KSH scripts to do my job, I was wondering, if there is any HowTo available, supporting me in re-writing the scripts to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joe-K7
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

making code compatible to previous bash versions

First let me explain the scenario I have tywo files as usual file1.txt (it has n rows and 8 columns) $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 Code: 1234567|iufgt|iuoy|iout|white |black |red |90879 1234567|iufgt|iuoy|iout|green |pink |blue |90879... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s.deepak
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] using backticks to call bash from perl

Hi all, Here is my code: my $x = `bash -c \" ls -l filename | awk '{print \$5}'\"`; print "$x\n"; This will run the first part of the bash script but not the awk command. It therefore gives output of: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13619200 2012-04-25 08:16 filename I am actually trying to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: free2rhyme2k
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To make my script multi-os compatible

Hi, I would like to make my script multi-os compatible and I am having problems to make it work. I would like it to be compatible with those 4 linux versions : Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora and Centos. I am mostly confused when it comes to the repository installation and the different os... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gaaara
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Question: HowTo Exit Script with User Input While Process is Running Mid-Loop?

Hi, I have written a script that allows me to repetitively play a music file $N times, which is specified through user input. However, if I want to exit the script before it has finished looping $N times, if I use CTRL+c, I have to CTRL+c however many times are left in order to complete the loop.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilltop_yodeler
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex: bash, using ANSI-C quotes in skript

Hello, I hope someone can hep with this. I use a skript to send multiline Data to a Monitoring system. Bu I'm not able to use linebreaks or escape sequences. The skript is simple like that: #!/bin/bash var="Erste Zeile \n zweite Zeile \n Dritter Teil" zabbix_sender -c... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpmichael
17 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)