Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting variable inside variable inside loop headache Post 302326638 by hcclnoodles on Thursday 18th of June 2009 10:29:20 AM
Old 06-18-2009
variable inside variable inside loop headache

Hi Gurus

I have a file called /tmp/CMDB which looks like this

Code:
serial: 0623AN1208
hostname: server1
model: x4100
assetID: 1234

I am writing a for loop that will go through this file line by line creating a variable of itself. Using the first iteration of the loop (i.e. the first line) as an example, I want it to create a variable called

db_serial and populate it with value 0623AN1208

on the next iteration create a variable called

db_hostname and populate it with value server1

etc etc

so i have tried

Code:
cat /tmp/CMDB | while read n
do

VAR=db_`echo $n | cut -d: -f1`
VALUE=`echo $n | cut -d: -f2`

eval `echo $VAR`=`echo $VALUE`

done

# echo it all out after the loop has finished

echo "DB serial is set to $db_serial"
echo "DB hostname is set to $db_hostname"
echo "DB model is set to $db_model"
echo "DB Asset ID is set to $db_assetID"

Plus a whole load of other combinations and i just cant get the thing to work

Im sure the problem is with my use of the "eval" command which is effectively using another variable to create a variable, and assigning the value from another variable Smilie

does anybody know what im doing wrong ?Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing a variable inside a variable to a function

I would like to know how to pass a variable inside a variable to a function. sample code below -------------- for x in 1 9 do check_null $C$x ##call function to check if the value is null if then echo "line number:$var_cnt,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingVikram
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to pass a variable to an update sql statement inside a loop

hi all, i am experiencing an error which i think an incorrect syntax for the where clause passing a variable was given. under is my code. sqlplus -s ${USERNAME}/${PASSWORD}@${SID} << END1 >> $LOGFILE whenever sqlerror exit set serveroutput on size 1000000 declare l_rc ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryukishin_17
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give a variable output name in a shell script inside a for loop

Hi all I run my program prog.c in the following way : $ ./prog 1 > output.txt where 1 is a user defined initial value used by the program. But now I want to run it for many a thousand initial values, 1-1000, and store all the outputs in different files. Like $ ./prog 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alice06
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatic variable assignment inside a for loop

cs1=`echo "scale=8;($css1/$css0)*100"|bc` cs2=`echo "scale=8;($css2/$css0)*100"|bc` cs3=`echo "scale=8;($css3/$css0)*100"|bc` cs4=`echo "scale=8;($css4/$css0)*100"|bc` cs5=`echo "scale=8;($css5/$css0)*100"|bc` cs6=`echo "scale=8;($css6/$css0)*100"|bc` cs7=`echo "scale=8;($css7/$css0)*100"|bc`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To print value for a $variable inside a $variable or file

Hi guys, I have a file "abc.dat" in below format: FILE_PATH||||$F_PATH TABLE_LIST||||a|b|c SYST_NM||||${SRC_SYST} Now I am trying to read the above file and want to print the value for above dollar variables F_PATH and SRC_SYST. The problem is it's reading the dollar variables as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abcabc1103
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Variable and awk inside for loop

Thanks all for taking time out and reading this thread and big Thanks to all who have come forward for rescue. Background: I have a variable "nbrofcols" that has number of columns from a data file. Now, using this count in for loop, I am trying to get the maximum length of each column present... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: svks1985
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Variable inside while loop got reset

hi, I am using hp unix server and not getting variable output present inside the while loop. I have tried changing the code and need to verify whether it is proper practice of code. I am expecting the output of varible RUN_FILE 3 to TRUE which i get inside the while loop. RUN_FILE 1=TRUE... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamsoft
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to write a Boolean variable which succeed and failed inside the if loop in shell script ?

I have if loop with multiple variable value check in if loop. How can i print only if loop satisfied variable and its value in shell script ? I dont want to check each variable in if loop. That makes my script larger. if ] then echo "Only satisfied variable with value" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prince1987
3 Replies
MSSQL_FETCH_FIELD(3)													      MSSQL_FETCH_FIELD(3)

mssql_fetch_field - Get field information

SYNOPSIS
object mssql_fetch_field (resource $result, [int $field_offset = -1]) DESCRIPTION
mssql_fetch_field(3) can be used in order to obtain information about fields in a certain query result. PARAMETERS
o $result - The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to mssql_query(3). o $field_offset - The numerical field offset. If the field offset is not specified, the next field that was not yet retrieved by this function is retrieved. The $field_offset starts at 0. RETURN VALUES
Returns an object containing field information. The properties of the object are: o name - column name. if the column is a result of a function, this property is set to computed#N, where #N is a serial number. o column_source - the table from which the column was taken o max_length - maximum length of the column o numeric - 1 if the column is numeric o type - the column type. EXAMPLES
Example #1 mssql_fetch_field(3) example <?php // Connect to MSSQL and select the database mssql_connect('MANGOSQLEXPRESS', 'sa', 'phpfi'); mssql_select_db('php'); // Send a select query to MSSQL $query = mssql_query('SELECT * FROM [php].[dbo].[persons]'); // Construct table echo '<h3>Table structure for 'persons'</h3>'; echo '<table border="1">'; // Table header echo '<thead>'; echo '<tr>'; echo '<td>Field name</td>'; echo '<td>Data type</td>'; echo '<td>Max length</td>'; echo '</tr>'; echo '</thead>'; // Dump all fields echo '<tbody>'; for ($i = 0; $i < mssql_num_fields($query); ++$i) { // Fetch the field information $field = mssql_fetch_field($query, $i); // Print the row echo '<tr>'; echo '<td>' . $field->name . '</td>'; echo '<td>' . strtoupper($field->type) . '</td>'; echo '<td>' . $field->max_length . '</td>'; echo '</tr>'; } echo '</tbody>'; echo '</table>'; // Free the query result mssql_free_result($query); ?> SEE ALSO
mssql_field_seek(3). PHP Documentation Group MSSQL_FETCH_FIELD(3)