Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep regex matches, groups
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep regex matches, groups Post 302326572 by otheus on Thursday 18th of June 2009 08:28:02 AM
Old 06-18-2009
I think you have to use perl or awk:
Code:
perl -ne '$,=" ... "; chomp; /a(b(c(d)))/ && print $_,$&,$1,$2,$3,"\n";'

The output in order is : the line that matched, the text that matched the entire regexp, the first (outermost) group, the second, group, the third group, (newline).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace if regex on specific column matches expression?

I am attempting to convert rewrite rules to Nginx, and since due to the mass amount of rewrites we must convert, I've been trying to write a script to help me on a specific part, easily. So far I have this: rewrite ^action/static/(+)/$ staticPage.php?pg=$1&%$query_string; What I want done... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EXT3FSCK
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep - Can I use grep to return a string with exactly n matches?

Hello, I looking to use grep to return a string with exactly n matches. I'm building off this: ls -aLl /bin | grep '^.\{9\}x' | tr -s ' ' -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 vi -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 view -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16008 May 25 2008... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1 | advanced regex syntax

Hello, I'm working on unix with grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1. I'm going through some of the newer regex syntax using Regular Expression Reference - Advanced Syntax a guide. ls -aLl /bin | grep "\(x\)" Which works, just highlights 'x' where ever, when ever. I'm trying to to get (?:) to work but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep multiple matches

i dun seems to be able to grep the arguments i want. eg. book.txt with description inside. ABC:efg:5:6 HHH:JJJ:6:7 i want the user to input the book title and author they want. so when the user enters book title ABC and book author efg, they print out exact match of ABC:efg:5:6. Caps do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santonio
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Replacing all but one regex match on a line or specific matches

Hi, I'm attempting to rename some files that have spaces in them. Without linking sed commands together is it possible to replace the first three "." to " ". File.name.is.long.ext -> File name is long.ext I can get the desired effect with echo "File.name.is.long.ext" | sed 's/\./ /g;s/... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectox
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with regex groups

I have a requirement - replace specified positions in a string with a character. I found perl regex useful for this approach. however, I am facing the following issue. The target file 'temp' contains - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx The goal is to convert... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_roy
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl newbie - regex replace all groups issue

Hello, Although I have found similar questions, I could not find advice that could help with my problem. The issue: I am trying to replace all occurrences of a regex, but I cannot make the regex groups work together. This is a simple input test file: The Vedanta Philosophy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samask
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex matches from lines in file

Hello, I try to script something (bash-script) and can not find a way to get and store a match into a variable from a line in a file. grep isn't useful as the matches are not returned - just colored. I can't get 'expr' to work for me. Is it necessary to use a perl-script with regex instead? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daWonderer
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using regex's from file1, print line and line after matches in file2

Good day, I have a list of regular expressions in file1. For each match in file2, print the containing line and the line after. file1: file2: Output: I can match a regex and print the line and line after awk '{lines = $0} /Macrosiphum_rosae/ {print lines ; print lines } ' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex - Capturing groups

I am having trouble with regex capturing groups, For Ex : I am having a file with ABC CDLF SFSDFK PRIMARY INDEX(XYZ,DEF,GHI); XYZ FLJ SDFKLD; PRIMARY INDEX(ABC); BHI SDKFLFLSFD PRIMARY INDEX (QWE , RTY , LHJ); My output should be : ABC XYZ,DEF,GHI XYZ ABC BHI ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysvsr1
10 Replies
newgrp(1)						      General Commands Manual							 newgrp(1)

NAME
newgrp - switch to a new group SYNOPSIS
[group] DESCRIPTION
The command changes your group ID without changing your user ID and replaces your current shell with a new one. If you specify group, the change is successful if group exists and either your user ID is a member of the new group, or group has a pass- word and you can supply it from the terminal. If you omit group, changes to the group specified in your entry in the password file, Whether the group is changed successfully or not, or the new group is the same as the old one or not, proceeds to replace your current shell with the one specified in the shell field of your password file entry. If that field is empty, uses the POSIX shell, (see sh- posix(1)). If you specify (hyphen) as the first argument, the new shell starts up as if you had just logged in. If you omit the new shell starts up as if you had invoked it as a subshell. You remain logged in and the current directory is unchanged, but calculations of access permissions to files are performed with respect to the new real and effective group IDs. Exported variables retain their values and are passed to the new shell. All unexported variables are deleted, but the new shell may reset them to default values. Since the current process is replaced when the new shell is started, exiting from the new shell has the same effect as exiting from the shell in which was executed. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Characters from the 7-bit USASCII code set are supported in group names (see ascii(5)). DIAGNOSTICS
The command issues the following error messages: Your user ID does not qualify as a group member. The group name does not exist in If a password is required, it must come from a terminal. Standard input is not a terminal file, causing the new shell to fail. EXAMPLES
To change from your current group to group without executing the login routines: To change from your current group to group and execute the login routines: WARNINGS
There is no convenient way to enter a password into The use of group passwords is not recommended because, by their very nature, they encourage poor security practices. Group passwords may be eliminated in future HP-UX releases. If the specified group to has multiple inconsistent entries (i.e. the group id or/and password are different) in the group database, will consider the group id and password of the first matched group entry as the correct group id and password for the group. FILES
System group file System password file SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), login(1), sh-posix(1), group(4), passwd(4), environ(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
newgrp(1)