Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count lines between two patterns inside a file Post 302326452 by Rhije on Thursday 18th of June 2009 03:19:42 AM
Old 06-18-2009
Sorry!

Last edited by Rhije; 06-18-2009 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: For some reason it double posted! :(

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the count of records from tables present inside a file.

hi gurus, I am having a file containing a list of tables.i want to find the count of records inside thes tables. for this i have to connect into database and i have to put the count for all the tables inside another file i used the following loop once all the tablenames are inside the file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines inside a file.

hi.... I have a file having more then thousand lines. i want to remove selected lines in it. And also if there exists two duplicate lines, I want to delete one of them. Please help me with awk and shell. :confused: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tushar_tus
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching patterns in 1 file and deleting all lines with those patterns in 2nd file

Hi Gurus, I have a file say for ex. file1 which has 3500 lines in it which are different account numbers and another file (file2) which has 230000 lines in it. I want to read all the lines in file1 and delete all those lines from file2 which has that same pattern as in file1. I am not quite... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing file lines that each match to a different patterns

I have a very large file (10,000,000 lines), that contains a sample id and a property of that sample. I have another file that contains around 1,000,000 lines with sample ids that I want to remove from the original file (create a new file without these lines). I know how to do this in Perl, but it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jo_puzzled
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Count number of unique patterns from a log file

Hello Everyone I need your help in fixing this issue., I have a log file which has data of users logging in to an application. I want to search for a particular pattern in the log ISSessionValidated=N If this key word is found , the above 8 lines will contain the name of the user who's... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtechkid
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading lines from a file between two search patterns

Hi, I am new to shell scripting and is working on a script to extract lines from a log file between two time stamps using awk command. After some research I used following command: awk '/01 Oct 2011/{p=1} /10 Oct 2011/{p=0} p' test.log >> tmp.log This works fine. But now i want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidtd
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

count the number of occurring patterns in a file.

Hi, I have a file with a '|' pipe delimeter. I want to find number of counts for a particular pattern in particular field. Is it possible to do it in a single command? 1) want to find total number of "0" in field 4. 2) want to find total number of different records in field 4 ( similar to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to Count Multiple patterns in a huge file

Hi, I have a file that is 430K lines long. It has records like below |site1|MAP |site2|MAP |site1|MODAL |site2|MAP |site2|MODAL |site2|LINK |site1|LINK My task is to count the number of time MAP, MODAL, LINK occurs for a single site and write new records like below to a new file ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reach.sree@gmai
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search multiple patterns and remove lines from a file?

Hi, I have a file content as below. Table : PAYR Displayed fields: 15 of 15 Fixed columns: 4 List width 0999... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shirdi
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print before and after lines then count of patterns

What i'm trying to do here is show X amount of lines before and after the string "serialNumber" is found. BEFORE=3 AFTER=2 gawk '{a=$0} {count=0} /serialNumber/ && /./ {for(i=NR-'"${BEFORE}"';i<=NR;i++){count++ ;print a}for(i=1;i<'"${AFTER}"';i++){getline; print ; count ++; print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies
UNIFDEF(1)						      General Commands Manual							UNIFDEF(1)

NAME
unifdef - remove ifdef'ed lines SYNOPSIS
unifdef [ -t -l -c -Dsym -Usym -idsym -iusym ] ... [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Unifdef is useful for removing ifdef'ed lines from a file while otherwise leaving the file alone. Unifdef is like a stripped-down C pre- processor: it is smart enough to deal with the nested ifdefs, comments, single and double quotes of C syntax so that it can do its job, but it doesn't do any including or interpretation of macros. Neither does it strip out comments, though it recognizes and ignores them. You specify which symbols you want defined -Dsym or undefined -Usym and the lines inside those ifdefs will be copied to the output or removed as appropriate. The ifdef, ifndef, else, and endif lines associated with sym will also be removed. Ifdefs involving symbols you don't specify are untouched and copied out along with their associated ifdef, else, and endif lines. If an ifdef X occurs nested inside another ifdef X, then the inside ifdef is treated as if it were an unrecognized symbol. If the same symbol appears in more than one argument, only the first occurrence is significant. The -l option causes unifdef to replace removed lines with blank lines instead of deleting them. If you use ifdefs to delimit non-C lines, such as comments or code which is under construction, then you must tell unifdef which symbols are used for that purpose so that it won't try to parse for quotes and comments in those ifdef'ed lines. You specify that you want the lines inside certain ifdefs to be ignored but copied out with -idsym and -iusym similar to -Dsym and -Usym above. If you want to use unifdef for plain text (not C code), use the -t option. This makes unifdef refrain from attempting to recognize com- ments and single and double quotes. Unifdef copies its output to stdout and will take its input from stdin if no file argument is given. If the -c argument is specified, then the operation of unifdef is complemented, i.e. the lines that would have been removed or blanked are retained and vice versa. SEE ALSO
diff(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Premature EOF, inappropriate else or endif. Exit status is 0 if output is exact copy of input, 1 if not, 2 if trouble. BUGS
Does not know how to deal with cpp consructs such as #if defined(X) || defined(Y) AUTHOR
Dave Yost 4.3 Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 UNIFDEF(1)