Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SSH starting nohup'd process - not exiting Post 302326155 by methyl on Wednesday 17th of June 2009 08:03:22 AM
Old 06-17-2009
Try "-n" switch to ssh. This is actually the same issue as described in the post from "sendchar".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture the process id when starting a background process

Hello all, How do I start a background process and save the process id to a file on my system. For example %wait 5 & will execute and print the process id. I can't figure out how to get it to a file. I've tried: > filename 0>filename 1>filename. Any assistance is most appreciated. Thanks, Jim... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jleavitt
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exiting eXceed window kills my process

Hi, I run a binary application with GUI accessibility. To launch and close the application i follow the following steps: 1.Log into a console session. Export display to the local workstation. 2.Launch X windows app ( eXceed ) 3.From terminal session go to the my application directory and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantaputi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pid of nohup process

I want to print the pid of a nohup process to a file so later I can use the list of pid's in that file to stop the background processes again. I use ksh on AIXv5.3: nohup /start/script.ksh 1>/dev/null 2>&1 print $$ > .pid nohup /start/script2.ksh 1>/dev/null 2>&1 print $$ >> .pid But... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to starting process as daemon using ssh command?

Hello, I need to run a command on remote Linux using the ssh command from my local machine. I am able to execute the command on remote machine using ssh but it's behaving strangely. The command is supposed to start a daemon process on remote linux box and the control should return back to me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitinshukla
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[KSH/Bash] Starting a parent process from a child process?

Hey all, I need to launch a script from within 2 other scripts that can run independently of the two parent scripts... Im having a hard time doing this, if anyone knows how please let me know. More detail. ScriptA (bash), ScriptB (ksh), ScriptC (bash) ScriptA, launches ScriptB ScirptB,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh a nohup command

I have a script I'm creating to spawn netcat listeners on a remote server for copying files at high speeds. The issue I'm running into is that after running the "nohup nc -l -p 12345 | tar -xvf - &" commands I can't get the remote shell to terminate. I'm not sure if this is working as intended or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: headcr4sh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh -t and nohup

I have a fairly simple script like so: nohup java -jar program.jar >> log 2>&1 & echo $! > pidfile This works great when using ssh server "script.sh" but not when using ssh -t server "script.sh" The solution I came up with was to call sleep after recording the child pid. My guess at the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: croachrose
2 Replies

8. AIX

How to kill exiting process in AIX

I could not able to kill two process which is running in the required port for me.Can any body help me to kill the exiting process. - 27000908 - - - <exiting> - 30998528 - - - <exiting> (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikanta
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process with tee is not exiting out

Hi I have a script which we are calling as below from another script but it does not exit out and just hang there. main.ksh #!/bin.ksh echo "test1" test.ksh | tee /tmp/abc.txt echo "test2" it prints test1 and then just hangs on test.ksh | tee /tmp/abc.txt if i check the messages from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh - running remote command not exiting

Hi, i have a shellscript, where in i need to connect to different server start these three jobs and exit from the server and start the same three jobs on local server. ssh user@remotehost 'bash -s' << EOF ${GETT_HOME}/bin/start1 & sleep 10 ${GETT_HOME}/bin/start2 & sleep 10... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swapnabhargav
1 Replies
NOHUP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  NOHUP(1)

NAME
nohup -- invoke a utility immune to hangups SYNOPSIS
nohup [--] utility [arguments] DESCRIPTION
The nohup utility invokes utility with its arguments and at this time sets the signal SIGHUP to be ignored. If the standard output is a ter- minal, the standard output is appended to the file nohup.out in the current directory. If standard error is a terminal, it is directed to the same place as the standard output. Some shells may provide a builtin nohup command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. ENVIRONMENT
The following variables are utilized by nohup: HOME If the output file nohup.out cannot be created in the current directory, the nohup utility uses the directory named by HOME to create the file. PATH Used to locate the requested utility if the name contains no '/' characters. EXIT STATUS
The nohup utility exits with one of the following values: 126 The utility was found, but could not be invoked. 127 The utility could not be found or an error occurred in nohup. Otherwise, the exit status of nohup will be that of utility. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), signal(3) STANDARDS
The nohup utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BUGS
Two or more instances of nohup can append to the same file, which makes for a confusing output. BSD
July 19, 2001 BSD