Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting use metacharacters to extract date Post 302325978 by joeyg on Tuesday 16th of June 2009 05:16:16 PM
Old 06-16-2009
Hammer & Screwdriver Would something like this help?

Code:
> echo filename.Y20090807.txt
filename.Y20090807.txt

> echo filename.Y20090807.txt | tr -d "[:alpha:]"

> echo filename.Y20090807.txt | tr -d "[:alpha:]" | tr -d "[:punct:]"

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using metacharacters in loops

Is there a way to use metacharacters in a loop or in an if. I want to allow a user to enter Y, y, Yes, yes, Yah, etc... in a loop I tried: read response while *" ] do........ and while *" ] do ......... this works for grep or egrep but not in loops Why?????? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrdnoland1
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Metacharacters

I want to display an asterisk to the screen as part of a string. I know how to use the Backslash to escape it's value. But how do I display it without showing the Backslash? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: regencyabs
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract date

I run few command from c shell script and after this i want to check the status. I write the following code and it give the error message like "Variable Syntax". Here is my code: #/ !/bin/csh -f rm -f <filename> if ($? != 0) then echo " command does not executed successfully!" end... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skumar11
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Metacharacters analysis

:confused:Hi , Can someone please advise what is the meaning of metacharacters in below code? a_PROCESS=${0##*/} a_DPFX=${a_PROCESS%.*} a_LPFX="a_DPFX : $$ : " a_UPFX="Usage: $a_PROCESS" Regards, gehlnar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The ll command + metacharacters

Hello. I am learning how to use Unix through an online course. Unfortunately the text that we use isn't very good, so I could use some help with a pretty basic question. Use metacharacters and the ll command to list all filenames under the datafiles directory that contain a dot "." with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feverdream
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

metacharacters separation

I have prepared a script to submit a string in a txt file. However there are somethings that I have to check before submitting the string in the txt file. One of those checks is to determine whether the string entered contains any metacharacters. I have tried sth like; echo "string" | grep -v ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozum
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract week start,end date from given date in PERL

Hi All, what i want to do in perl is i should give the date at run time .Suppose date given is 23/12/2011(mm/dd/yyyy) the perl script shold find week start date, week end date, previous week start date,end date,next week start date, end date. In this case week start date will be-:12/19/2011... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
2 Replies
FILECTIME(3)								 1							      FILECTIME(3)

filectime - Gets inode change time of file

SYNOPSIS
int filectime (string $filename) DESCRIPTION
Gets the inode change time of a file. PARAMETERS
o $filename - Path to the file. RETURN VALUES
Returns the time the file was last changed, or FALSE on failure. The time is returned as a Unix timestamp. EXAMPLES
Example #1 A filectime(3) example <?php // outputs e.g. somefile.txt was last changed: December 29 2002 22:16:23. $filename = 'somefile.txt'; if (file_exists($filename)) { echo "$filename was last changed: " . date("F d Y H:i:s.", filectime($filename)); } ?> ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Upon failure, an E_WARNING is emitted. NOTES
Note Note: In most Unix filesystems, a file is considered changed when its inode data is changed; that is, when the permissions, owner, group, or other metadata from the inode is updated. See also filemtime(3) (which is what you want to use when you want to create "Last Modified" footers on web pages) and fileatime(3). Note Note also that in some Unix texts the ctime of a file is referred to as being the creation time of the file. This is wrong. There is no creation time for Unix files in most Unix filesystems. Note Note that time resolution may differ from one file system to another. Note The results of this function are cached. See clearstatcache(3) for more details. Tip As of PHP 5.0.0, this function can also be used with some URL wrappers. Refer to "Supported Protocols and Wrappers" to determine which wrappers support stat(3) family of functionality. SEE ALSO
filemtime(3). PHP Documentation Group FILECTIME(3)