Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search and Count Occurrences of Pattern in a File Post 302325932 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 16th of June 2009 01:51:03 PM
Old 06-16-2009
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

COUNT=$(awk '{cnt+=gsub(pat,"&")}END {print cnt}' pat="${j}" "${i}")

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern search and count

i want to search a word in a file and find the count of occurences even if pattern occures twice in a same line. for example file has the following content. yes no no nooo yees no yes if I search for "no" it should give count as 4 Pls help. Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of occurrences of a pattern between each occurrence of a different pattern

I need to count the number of occurrences of a pattern, say 'key', between each occurrence of a different pattern, say 'lu'. Here's a portion of the text I'm trying to parse: lu S1234L_149_m1_vg.6, part-att 1, vdp-att 1 p-reserver IID 0xdb registrations: key 4156 4353 0000 0000 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slipstream
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern search and count

Hi all, I need to search the database log find out the most frequently used tables for a certain period of time. The search pattern is : the database.table so, i need to look for ABCD.* in the entire log and then need the top ten tables. I thought of using awk, search for the pattern ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysvsr1
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search number of occurrences of a particular string in a file through vi editor?

i have one file, i am doing 'vi Filename' now i want to search for particular string and i want to know how many times that string occurs in whole file (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheelsadan
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern in a String file and count the occurance of each pattern

I am trying to search a file for a patterns ERR- in a file and return a count for each of the error reported Input file is a free flowing file without any format example of output ERR-00001=5 .... ERR-01010=10 ..... ERR-99999=10 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Speed : awk command to count the occurrences of fields from one file present in the other file

Hi, file1.txt AAA BBB CCC DDD file2.txt abc|AAA|AAAabcbcs|fnwufnq bca|nwruqf|AAA|fwfwwefwef fmimwe|BBB|fnqwufw|wufbqw wcdbi|CCC|wefnwin|wfwwf DDD|wabvfav|wqef|fwbwqfwfe i need the count of rows of file1.txt present in the file2.txt required output: AAA 2 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdkm
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify file pattern, take count of pattern, then act

Guys - Need your ideas on a section of code to finish something up. To make a long story short, I'm parsing a print output file that goes to pre-printed forms. I'm intercepting it, parsing it, formatting it, cutting it up into individual pages, grabbing the text I want in zones, building an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ampsys
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurrences in first column

input amex-11 10 abc amex-11 20 bcn amed-12 1 abc I tried something like this. awk '{h++}; END { for(k in h) print k, h }' rm1 output amex-11 1 10 abc amex-11 1 20 bcn amed-12 2 1 abc Note: The second column represents the occurrences. amex-11 is first one and amed-12 is the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable search and line count between variable-search pattern

Input: |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:48:01 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:49:54 BST 2016 |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:54:01 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:55:45 BST 2016 |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 23:00:02 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 23:01:44 BST 2016... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
4 Replies
gmatch(3GEN)                                         String Pattern-Matching Library Functions                                        gmatch(3GEN)

NAME
gmatch - shell global pattern matching SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lgen [ library ... ] #include <libgen.h> int gmatch(const char *str, const char *pattern); DESCRIPTION
gmatch() checks whether the null-terminated string str matches the null-terminated pattern string pattern. See the sh(1), section File Name Generation, for a discussion of pattern matching. A backslash () is used as an escape character in pattern strings. RETURN VALUES
gmatch() returns non-zero if the pattern matches the string, zero if the pattern does not. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Examples of gmatch() function. In the following example, gmatch() returns non-zero (true) for all strings with "a" or "-" as their last character. char *s; gmatch (s, "*[a-]" ) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) NOTES
When compiling multithreaded applications, the _REENTRANT flag must be defined on the compile line. This flag should only be used in mul- tithreaded applications. SunOS 5.10 29 Dec 1996 gmatch(3GEN)