Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris ip Change
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris ip Change Post 302325492 by lowbyte on Monday 15th of June 2009 09:58:46 AM
Old 06-15-2009
Hi,

you must edit /etc/hostname.<your_interface>;
there is your hostname, for this hostname the system
will take at boot the ip-number from /etc/inet/hosts.

cu
lowbyte

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change solaris to 32bit

Hi Any one know how to change solaris 7 from 64 bit, back to 32 bit,, i know its on sunsolve somewhere but i cant see it. thanks:D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thangorn
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

How to change hostname and ip in solaris

Dear all, I am going to change the IP address and hostname in my solaris, but I don't know how to do it. If you have any idea or suggestion, please fell free to let me know. Thanks and Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PennyLi
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Change hostname in Solaris 9

Please anyone guide me how to change the hostname in Solaris 9? The IP of the machie is fetched from a DHCP server. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabu
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

change passwd remotely in solaris 10

i'm trying to change passwd remotely in unix (solaris) and tried using "expect" but it is not working. Any ideas to change the passwd remotely using a shell script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pharos467
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change root prompt (Solaris)

Hello all. I was wondering if there is a way to change the root prompt. I am using Solaris 10 and would like to have the root prompt display the current directory along with 'SU' to indicate root status. What I have tried so far: /etc/passwd changed the root shell to korn with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobertSubnet
10 Replies

6. Solaris

change disk under solaris 6

hi every one , i want to change the failed disk under solaris 6 i know that it's different than other revisions but i havn't a procedure ,can someone help me plz? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lid-j-one
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Change Solaris hostid

Hi, I've searched the UNIX forum looking for a simple procedure how to change\control my Solaris server hostid. I did found few threads but all of them either have broken links to all kinds of scripts or not described simply for some UNIX beginers user like me. Can anyone assist me? I... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: avisht
21 Replies

8. Solaris

temperory ip change in solaris 9

Hi Admins, For testing purpose we are moving sun solaris 9 in to test vlan .So i need to change the ip, subnet mask and gateway temperorily. Below are the procedure m going to perform. 1. Backup of ifconfig -a , netstat -an, netstat -rn , netstat -in 2. Backup of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newsol
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Change timezone in Solaris 11

I was trying to change timezone on my new solaris-11 server to US/Pacific, but not successfull. root@tsapp01 # grep TZ /etc/default/init TZ=localtime Can somebody share something on this ? It seems, /etc/TIMEZONE is no longer in use for Solaris 11 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies
HOSTNAME(5)							     hostname							       HOSTNAME(5)

NAME
hostname - Local hostname configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/hostname DESCRIPTION
The /etc/hostname file configures the name of the local system that is set during boot using the sethostname(2) system call. It should contain a single newline-terminated hostname string. The hostname may be a free-form string up to 64 characters in length; however, it is recommended that it consists only of 7-bit ASCII lower-case characters and no spaces or dots, and limits itself to the format allowed for DNS domain name labels, even though this is not a strict requirement. Depending on the operating system, other configuration files might be checked for configuration of the hostname as well, however only as fallback. You may use hostnamectl(1) to change the value of this file from the command line. HISTORY
The simple configuration file format of /etc/hostname originates from Debian GNU/Linux. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), sethostname(2), hostname(1), hostname(7), machine-id(5), machine-info(5), hostnamectl(1), systemd-hostnamed.service(8) systemd 208 HOSTNAME(5)