Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed command to globally replace xth occurance. Post 302325178 by lowmaster on Saturday 13th of June 2009 10:49:29 AM
Old 06-13-2009
Sed command to globally replace xth occurance.

This should replace the 1st and the 3rd occurance of "the":

sed -e "s/ the / those /1;s/ the / these /3"

This works only by line.

If there is a second "the", but in an other line for example, it counts it as 1st again and replaces it again.

How can I replace "the" 1st and 3rd occurance globally with sed?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Javascript Replace Globally

I have a bit of javascript function hasSpaces(name) { if(name.search(/^\s*/) != -1){ alert(name); name.replace((/^\s*/, "~")) alert(name); } return name; } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: insania
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace the n'th occurance in a file

Hi All, How can i replace the n'th occurance in a file. ? I have a property file like EAR;_TrackingEAR;META-INF/application.xml;xml;context-root;1;valeur EAR;_TrackingEAR;META-INF/application.xml;xml;context-root;2;valeur2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace first 5 occurance of a pattern

There is scenario that i have to replace a pattern at the first 5 occurance in a file. say i need to replace 'abc' by 'xyz' at its first 5 occurance in a file a.txt, can anybody help me how it can be done, i can do complete replacement of the pattern using sed throughtout the file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: palash2k
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop with sed command to replace line with sed command in it

Okay, title is kind of confusion, but basically, I have a lot of scripts on a server that I need to replace a ps command, however, the new ps command I'm trying to replace the current one with pipes to sed at one point. So now I am attempting to create another script that replaces that line. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to replace second occurance

#original file . . ~ ~ Index=2 xxx replace #dont replace 1st occurance yyy Index=2 xxx replace #substitue replace with "REPLACE" yyy Index=2 xxx replace #substitue replace with "REPLACE" yyy Index=3 xxx replace (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjjoy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace only the first occurance

Hi, I need to search a string and replace with nothing, but only the First occurring string using sed/perl/awk (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suraj.sheikh
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace/delete odd occurance

how to delete/replace the the odd occurance of a pattern say newline character "\n" a,b,c,d e,f g, h, i, j, k, l m,n 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 the output should be a,b,c,de,f g, h, i, j, k, lm,n 1, 2, 3, 4,5, 6 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace every second occurance of a string

I want to replace every 2nd occurance of a string/character from a line. ababacbsbddbsbbcbdbssb i want to replace every s2nd b with @ like below should be like aba@acbs@ddbs@bc@dbss@ (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
3 Replies

9. Linux

Linux command to find and replace occurance of more than two equal sign with "==" from XML file.

Please help me, wasted hrs:wall:, to find this soulution:- I need a command that will work on file (xml) and replace multiple occurrence (more than 2 times) Examples 1. '===' 2. '====' 3. '=======' should be replaced by just '==' Note :- single character should be replaced. (=... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedRocks!!
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace 3rd occurance of SPACE with newline

I have file with SQL output as 0001 firstname1 lastname1 0002 firstname2 lastname2 0003 firstname3 lastname3 0004 firstname4 lastname4 Expected output : 0001 firstname1 lastname1 0002 firstname2 lastname2 0003 firstname3 lastname3 0004 firstname4 lastname4 Let me know if this can... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameermohite
9 Replies
mhc(5)								File Formats Manual							    mhc(5)

NAME
mhc - Message Harmonized Calendaring system DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the mhc file format. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. FIELDS
Mhc file format is based on STD11/RFC822: Standard for the format of ARPA Internet text messages. In mhc file, the following extra header fields are used. X-SC-Day: Date of event in format yyyymmdd. You can specify multiple date with space separated like: X-SC-Day: 19990409 19990413 which means April 9th 1999 and April 13th 1999. X-SC-Time: Time of event in format hh:mm-hh:mm or hh:mm. For event which has no meanings about time, you can leave it empty in this field. X-SC-Duration: Period of event in yyyymmdd-yyyymmdd. You can omit start date or end date, like "19991121-". X-SC-Duration: is used only to limit date specified by X-SC-Day: or X-SC-Cond, so you can't describe event date only by X-SC-Duration:. If X-SC-Duration: is empty, it means no limit. X-SC-Cond: Condition of event date by using following keyword. 00-31 Day of month. 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Last Week in month. Sun Mon ... Sat Day of week. Jan Feb ... Dec Month Examples, X-SC-Cond: Tue Fri Every Tuesday and Friday. X-SC-Cond: 31 Aug Every August 31th. X-SC-Cond: 1st 3rd Fri Every 1st and 3rd Friday. X-SC-Cond: Fri X-SC-Day: !19990409 Every Friday, but except April 9th 1999. X-SC-Cond: Fri 13 Every 13th and Every Friday, not 13th Friday. X-SC-Alarm: Hint for alarm of event. Currently, mhc.el doesn't alaram, but gemcal will pop-up alarm window. It will be useful if you transfer this event to PalmOS. In X-SC-Alarm:, you can specify the number (1 to 99) with suffix such as minute, hour or day. For example, X-SC-Alarm: 10 minutes Alarm 10 minutes before event. X-SC-Alarm: 3 hour Alarm 3 hours before event. X-SC-Alarm: 3 day Alarm 3 day before event. X-SC-Subject: Subject of event. unstructured? X-SC-Location: Location of event. unstructured? X-SC-Category Category of event. Any keyword, space separeated. Case ignored. X-SC-Recoard-Id: Internal use only. SEE ALSO
adb2mhc(1) gemcal(1), mhc-sync(1), mhc2palm(1), palm2mhc(1), today(1). AUTHOR
This program was written by Yoshinari Nomura <nom@quickhack.net> and this manual page was written by Fumitoshi UKAI <ukai@debian.or.jp>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). 23 Jun 2000 mhc(5)