Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: chmod a lot of files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting chmod a lot of files Post 302324948 by methyl on Friday 12th of June 2009 09:20:08 AM
Old 06-12-2009
Maybe spaces in the names? maybe too many execs ?

Code:
find . -type d -print | while read DIR
do
         chmod 755 "${DIR}"
done

find . -type f -print | while read FILENAME
do
         chmod 644 "${FILENAME}"
done

Afterthought: If any of the directories are links, you may need the "-follow" parameter to "find".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem comparing 2 files with lot of data

Hello everyone, here's the scenario I have two files, each one has around 1,300,000 lines and each line has a column (phone numbers). I have to get the phones that are in file1 but not in file2. I can get these phones trough Oracle but my boss does not want that so he gave me the files with the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafisha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename a lot of files again

here I go again...kinda hard to explain so I apologize. I need to rename a bunch of files in a directory. I need to remove the first three characters of the filename, and then toward the end of the filename there is constant text inside of brackets. here is a demo (not for real) 'ls -1' of the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with chmod (files only)

hello, i want to chmod 444 all files in a directory, files in subdirs cannot be chmoded same goes for the subdirs themself. So using: chmod -R 444 /dir/ won't work because it will chmod the directorys and files (together with files in subdirectorys) I figured out how to chmod files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TehOne
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting with unique piping for a lot of files

Hi power user, if I have this file: file1.txt: 1111 1111 2222 2222 3333 3333 3333 4444 4444 4444 when I run the sort file1.txt | uniq > data1.txt the result is (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjas
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename a lot of files using shells script

Hi This is the list file that i have : The files is more than this. I will rename one by one file become like this : So just change the time stamp 200906 become 200905. Is it possible using script ? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: justbow
3 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to modify a lot of html files

Hello, I have about 3400 files in a tree structure (about 80% are html files). 1. I need to modify every html file to remove <p> style and old things like font attribute and add another style. 2. I need to change the root of all links that are in the html. e.g. change /old/path/ to /new/path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yaazkal
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lot of warn files filling /

hi guys I have suse 11 sp1 and I have a lot of warn file filling / these are under /var/log there's this big one -rw-r----- 1 root root 3.9G Feb 1 10:28 warn warn: ASCII text and the others that are about 2.5 to 3MB - they are about 130 warn-*.bz2 -rw-r----- 1 root root 3.9G Feb... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script for automation the convert a lot number audio files to another format

I have a lot number audio files in the MP3 proprietary format, I want to convert them to 'opus' the free and higher quality format, with keep metadata also. My selection command-line programs are SoX (Sound eXchange) for convert MP3 files to 'AIFF' format in order to keep quality and metadata*... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: temp-usr
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert a lot of files in subdirectories automatically

Hi, I have a huge structure of directories and subdirectories contsining some data. The lowest folders contain a file "image.png" which need to be converted to "folder.jpg". But how can I do that for all these files automatically? That's what I alredy have find /path -type f -name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KarlKarpfen
1 Replies
mkproto(8)						      System Manager's Manual							mkproto(8)

NAME
mkproto - Constructs a prototype file system SYNOPSIS
mkproto special proto DESCRIPTION
The mkproto command is used to bootstrap a new file system. First a new file system is created using newfs. mkproto is then used to copy files from the old file system into the new file system according to the directions found in the prototype file proto. The prototype file contains tokens separated by spaces or newlines. The first tokens comprise the specification for the root directory. File specifications consist of tokens, giving the mode, the user ID, the group ID, and the initial contents of the file. The syntax of the contents field depends on the mode. The mode token for a file is a 6-character string. The first character specifies the type of the file. (The characters -bcd specify regu- lar, block-special, character-special, and directory files, respectively.) The second character of the type is either a u or a - (dash) to specify setuid mode or not. The third character is either a g or a - (dash) for the setgid mode. The rest of the mode is a 3-digit octal number, giving the owner, group, and other read, write, execute permissions. (See the chmod(1) command for more information.) Two decimal number tokens come after the mode; they specify the user and group IDs of the owner of the file: If the file is a regular file, the next token is a pathname from which the contents and size are copied. If the file is a block-special or a character-special file, two decimal number tokens follow, giving the major and minor device numbers. If the file is a directory, mkproto makes the entries . (dot) and .. (dot dot) and then reads a list of names and (recursively) file specifications for the entries in the directory. The scan is terminated with the token $. The following listing shows a sample prototype specification. d--777 3 1 usr d--777 3 1 sh ---755 3 1 /bin/sh ken d--755 6 1 $ b0 b--644 3 1 0 0 c0 c--644 3 1 0 0 $ $ FILES
Specifies the command path RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: fsck(8), fsdb(8), newfs(8). delim off mkproto(8)