Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NTFS Compression on Solaris
Operating Systems Solaris NTFS Compression on Solaris Post 302324692 by l_vbosch on Thursday 11th of June 2009 11:36:27 AM
Old 06-11-2009
It depends if you use SVM (Solaris Volume Manager) or ZFS.

For ZFS you can easily activate compression for the dataset (filesystem) using:

pfexec zfs set compression=on the-name-of-your-pool/your-dataset

ZFS Compression - A Win-Win - The Observatory

I don't know if it is possible something like this using SVM or UFS.

Regards,

Leandro.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

NTFS in sun solaris

Anyone know any port to enable NTFS read in sun solaris ? its enabled in BSD long time ago i wonder why they dont enable it in Sun Solaris ?! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Un-compression types...

Hi Folks, As I am familiar wih both types compresion forms: gun-zip and .rpm. My questions is how do I uncompress gunz.zip type? As the .rpm I can double click and it will extract...Can someone shed some light on this and thank you... M (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mombo_Z
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sun Solaris 10 can Read NTFS File ?

Dear Expert, I want read my NTFS file in my other partition, can sun solaris read that, like linux ?? Thank you Regards, Heru (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: heru_90
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 8 partition - compression

Hi, Anyone know if I have a mount point /data , can it turn on compression like what the MS Windows does ???? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid CR after compression

Hi all, I am having few files which needs to be concted into a single file and then it is compressed and FTPed from the UNIX server to the Windows server. For the above purpose i am using gzip command to compress the files after concetenation. And i am FTP ing the compressed file in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
3 Replies

6. Solaris

NTFS under Solaris (switching from windows to Solaris server)

I want just to keep Solaris OS as my default OS . I have installed linux and windows as well but all my critical data is stored on NTFS partition so question is how to mount HDD with NTFS on Solaris (tried FUSE + NTFS-3g but that did`t worked for me system was down) And why Solaris does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: microbot
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Can fssnap be used as a compression tool (Solaris 10)?

Friends, I am learning the working of fssnap command. Suppose there is a directory named /datadir which is of size 500mb. I had taken the snapshot by means of the following command: #fssnap -F ufs -o bs=/snapshotdir /datadir { it shows the o/p as /dev/fssnap/0 } My question is if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder compression

Hi Guys, totally new to scripting. I have a huge list of foleders. I want to tar the contents of each folder inside the same folder and the name of the tar file is the same name as the folder. how would I go about this in scirpt? cheers Viper (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brownviper1966
3 Replies

9. Solaris

How to mount ntfs for storage HDD new to Solaris 11.2?

I just installed Solaris 11.2 - and it is a bugger. How do I mount an extra HDD that is now formated to NTFS through gparted it keeps telling me I don't have any ntfs on this laptop. it has two hdds, /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 (Linux lingo) Solaris is installed on primary hard drive back of it. then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: userx-bw
2 Replies
ZFSLOADER(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      ZFSLOADER(8)

NAME
zfsloader -- kernel bootstrapping final stage DESCRIPTION
zfsloader is an extended variant of loader(8) with added support for booting from ZFS. This document describes only differences from loader(8). ZFS FEATURES
zfsloader supports the following format for specifying ZFS filesystems which can be used wherever loader(8) refers to a device specification: zfs:pool/filesystem: where pool/filesystem is a ZFS filesystem name as described in zfs(8). If /etc/fstab does not have an entry for the root filesystem and vfs.root.mountfrom is not set, but currdev refers to a ZFS filesystem, then zfsloader will instruct kernel to use that filesystem as the root filesystem. ZFS COMMAND EXTENSIONS
lsdev [-v] Lists ZFS pools in addition to disks and partitions. Adding -v shows more ZFS pool details in a format that resembles zpool status output. lszfs filesystem A ZFS extended command that can be used to explore the ZFS filesystem hierarchy in a pool. Lists the immediate children of the filesystem. The filesystem hierarchy is rooted at a filesystem with the same name as the pool. FILES
/boot/zfsloader zfsloader itself. EXAMPLES
Set the default device used for loading a kernel from a ZFS filesystem: set currdev=zfs:tank/ROOT/knowngood: SEE ALSO
gptzfsboot(8), loader(8), zfs(8), zfsboot(8), zfsloader(8), zpool(8) HISTORY
The zfsloader first appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
September 15, 2014 BSD