Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SED Issue please advise!!!
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED Issue please advise!!! Post 302324641 by Haque123 on Thursday 11th of June 2009 09:30:40 AM
Old 06-11-2009
SED Issue please advise!!!

Hi folks,

Please share your ideas I want to conventor all the blank space's in my file to a single blank,

Im using this currently sed 's/ / /' foo for two blank space but the blanks in the file varies like for example 2 blanks, 3 blanks, 4 blanks etc etc....

please help what should I use here to convert into single blank in a file..

Quick response will be appreciated!!!

Haque

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED Issue

Can anyone tell me ...on the below listed command cat /mnt/winbox/list_measurement/ds1c/ds1_f.rome_27A03A 2>> error_log | sed -e '1,3d;s/^/27A03A,/' | sed -e "s#\(.*\)#\1 ,$(date +%Y-%m-%d)#g" > /SBS/ds1_f.rome_27A03A The outcome is this: ,2005-08-29 Forestdale,3:02 am MON AUG 29,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Redg
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with a sed one liner variant - sed 's/ ; /|/g' $TMP1 > $TMP

Execution of the following segment is giving the error - Script extract:- OUT=$DATADIR/sol_rsult_orphn.bcp TMP1=${OUT}_tmp1 TMP=${OUT}_tmp ( isql -w 400 $dbConnect_OPR <<EOF select convert(char(10), s.lead_id) +'|' + s.pho_loc_type, ";", s.sol_rsult_cmnt, ";", +'|'+ s.del_ind... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kzmatam
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Issue....

Can someone help me "port" this to AIX sed? sed '/nas/{n;s/true/false/}' I know it doesn't like the ; but i don't know how else to do it.... never had to sed on an AIX box :D (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeviousPete
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed issue

Hi All I'm getting this error while executing a sed script sed: 0602-404 Function /</ i\ File from New Cube: cannot be parsed. sed "/</ i\ File from New Cube: />/ i\ File from Old Cube:" difference1.txt > Difference.txt I've a file like this < Y2008 Dec ..... .... ... 345 I want... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Celvin VK
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Issue

Hi, I am trying to use 3 sed statements in a shell script, but it get foll error. sed : garbage after command. If I use only two sed statements, the script works well. Is there any restriction for sed usage or is there some catch which I am missing. Sample Script is as follows : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameersalve
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple SED issue

Hi! I'm a newbie and can't find the exact sed to make this work. I've installed CentOS and am trying to pass variables to a network-config file. variables: $ipAddress $netmask $gateway file: DeviceList.Ethernet.eth0.IP=192.168.1.10 DeviceList.Ethernet.eth0.Netmask=255.255.255.0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: greipr
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

one more issue last- sed

hi i have following sed command this replaces "** in filename1 with octal value 007 filename2 when i put it in script it wont work but it works from command line my OS is sun OS ---------- Post updated at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:14 PM ---------- i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_zeeshan05
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed issue

Hi guys. Can somone advise as to what the problem is with the following sed command? 1) read -p "Please enter new username you wish to replace old: " new_username sed "s/$username/$new_username/" information_file ;; This is one of the case statements included but I'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jjb1989
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed issue

I can't get this code to work, could I get some help... sed -i '' "s:${shLogpath1}${cell}:${shLogpath2}${cell}:g" test.txt Any Ideas, I think I need to separate the variables some how? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed issue

I'm trying to change a date in a couple of large files using SED. The problem is when I use the -n parameter, it doesn't actually change the file. When I leave out the -n, it sends the whole file to the screen, but it does appear to change it. The problem is, these files are very large and it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drenhead
8 Replies
textutil::repeat(n)				    Text and string utilities, macro processing 			       textutil::repeat(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
textutil::repeat - Procedures to repeat strings. SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require textutil::repeat ?0.7? ::textutil::repeat::strRepeat text num ::textutil::repeat::blank num _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The package textutil::repeat provides commands to generate long strings by repeating a shorter string many times. The complete set of procedures is described below. ::textutil::repeat::strRepeat text num This command returns a string containing the text repeated num times. The repetitions are joined without characters between them. A value of num <= 0 causes the command to return an empty string. Note: If the Tcl core the package is loaded in provides the command string repeat then this command will be implemented in its terms, for maximum possible speed. Otherwise a fast implementation in Tcl will be used. ::textutil::repeat::blank num A convenience command. Returns a string of num spaces. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category textutil of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
regexp(n), split(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
blanks, repetition, string textutil 0.7.1 textutil::repeat(n)