Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed or awk to order a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed or awk to order a file Post 302324553 by sniper57 on Thursday 11th of June 2009 04:53:43 AM
Old 06-11-2009
Question sed or awk to order a file

Hi -

I have a file with lots of lines in that I need to order based on the number of commas!

e.g the file looks something like :-
cn=john,cn=users,cn=uk,dc=dot,dc=com
cn=john,cn=users,dc=com
cn=users,cn=groups,dc=com
cn=john,cn=admins,cn=users,cn=uk,dc=dot,dc=com
cn=fred,cn=users,cn=uk,dc=dot,dc=com
cn=simon,cn=users,cn=uk,dc=dot,dc=com
cn=users,dc=com

I need to order the file so that it ends up like :-
cn=john,cn=admins,cn=users,cn=uk,dc=dot,dc=com
cn=john,cn=users,cn=uk,dc=dot,dc=com
cn=fred,cn=users,cn=uk,dc=dot,dc=com
cn=simon,cn=users,cn=uk,dc=dot,dc=com
cn=john,cn=users,dc=com
cn=users,cn=groups,dc=com
cn=users,dc=com

I am hoping someone knows some sed or awk that can do this ? Smilie

Many thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed and regex to reverse order???

so i have been trying to learn how to manipulate text on my own and have gotten stumped... let's say i have a text file that says (highly simplified): people ordinary How would swap the order of the words.. I know i need to use sed and some kind of back reference but cannot make it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urtherhoda
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing the order using sed

I have a text "abc def ghi" and I want to get it as "def abc ghi" I am using this echo "abc def ghi" | sed 's/\(*\)\(*\)/\2\1/' But I am not able to get the output, could anyone help me. Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_nbk
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - printing certain fields when field order changes in data file

I'm hoping someone can help me on this. I have a data file that greatly simplified might look like this: sec;src;dst;proto 421;10.10.10.1;10.10.10.2;tcp 426;10.10.10.3;10.10.10.4;udp 442;10.10.10.5;10.10.10.6;tcp sec;src;fac;dst;proto 521;10.10.10.1;ab;10.10.10.2;tcp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric4
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reversing file order using SED

Im trying to develop a shell script that will change the content order of the file. For example I have a file that says a b c d I want to change this to be d c b a Im trying to use sed to this by reading the file and then inserting each line at the top #!/usr/bin/ksh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a certain string in a file and replace it with a value from another file using sed/awk?

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and new to sed/awk programming too !! I need to find particular string in file1(text file) and replace it with a value from another text file(file2) the file2 has only one line and the value to be replaced with is in the second column. file 1: (assert (=... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
21 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed string with any order

Hi, i have a strange prob. log file contains ip, protocol, user name, agent . these can be in any order. If log contains the above order able to fetch all details but if details are in diff order not able to fetch all details. using below command. grep -A50 "Entry " "/logs/file.log" \ |grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - searching token in certain order

Hello. I would like to write a bash function which would return "true" if the search succeed else return anything else. something like if ] ; then exit 1 fi function my_funct () { find first occurrence $2 in $1 if not found return "false" from that position,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Why does output order change?

I have this END section in an awk script: END { for (j in littlebin) { print (j, int(log(j)/log(2)) , littlebin) lbsum+=littlebin } for (i in bins) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How order a data matrix using awk?

is it possible to order the following row clusters from ascending to descending. thanx in advance input 1 2 4 0 1 2 4 0 3 3 3 3 1 5 1 0 1 5 1 0 6 0 0 0 5 1 1 1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed awk: split a large file to unique file names

Dear Users, Appreciate your help if you could help me with splitting a large file > 1 million lines with sed or awk. below is the text in the file input file.txt scaffold1 928 929 C/T + scaffold1 942 943 G/C + scaffold1 959 960 C/T +... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapr0001
6 Replies
USERDBPW(8)						      Double Precision, Inc.						       USERDBPW(8)

NAME
userdbpw - create an encrypted password SYNOPSIS
userdbpw [[-md5] | [-hmac-md5] | [-hmac-sha1]] |userdb {name} set {field} DESCRIPTION
userdbpw enables secure entry of encrypted passwords into /etc/courier/userdb. userdbpw reads a single line of text on standard input, encrypts it, and prints the encrypted result to standard output. If standard input is attached to a terminal device, userdbpw explicitly issues a "Password: " prompt on standard error, and turns off echo while the password is entered. The -md5 option is available on systems that use MD5-hashed passwords (such as systems that use the current version of the PAM library for authenticating, with MD5 passwords enabled). This option creates an MD5 password hash, instead of using the traditional crypt() function. -hmac-md5 and -hmac-sha1 options are available only if the userdb library is installed by an application that uses a challenge/response authentication mechanism. -hmac-md5 creates an intermediate HMAC context using the MD5 hash function. -hmac-sha1 uses the SHA1 hash function instead. Whether either HMAC function is actually available depends on the actual application that installs the userdb library. Note that even though the result of HMAC hashing looks like an encrypted password, it's really not. HMAC-based challenge/response authentication mechanisms require the cleartext password to be available as cleartext. Computing an intermediate HMAC context does scramble the cleartext password, however if its compromised, it WILL be possible for an attacker to succesfully authenticate. Therefore, applications that use challenge/response authentication will store intermediate HMAC contexts in the "pw" fields in the userdb database, which will be compiled into the userdbshadow.dat database, which has group and world permissions turned off. The userdb library also requires that the cleartext userdb source for the userdb.dat and userdbshadow.dat databases is also stored with the group and world permissions turned off. userdbpw is usually used together in a pipe with userdb, which reads from standard input. For example: userdbpw -md5 | userdb users/john set systempw or: userdbpw -hmac-md5 | userdb users/john set hmac-md5pw These commands set the systempw field in the record for the user john in /etc/courier/userdb/users file, and the hmac-md5pw field. Don't forget to run makeuserdb for the change to take effect. The following command does the same thing: userdb users/john set systempw=SECRETPASSWORD However, this command passes the secret password as an argument to the userdb command, which can be viewed by anyone who happens to run ps(1) at the same time. Using userdbpw allows the secret password to be specified in a way that cannot be easily viewed by ps(1). SEE ALSO
userdb(8)[1], makeuserdb(8)[2] NOTES
1. userdb(8) userdb.html 2. makeuserdb(8) makeuserdb.html Double Precision, Inc. 08/23/2008 USERDBPW(8)