Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using REGEX within SED range search Post 302324430 by cfajohnson on Wednesday 10th of June 2009 04:36:21 PM
Old 06-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmauer
i was trying to match either a space or end of line after the word "select" -

This matches select (without regard to case) with zero or more spaces before or after it, and nothing else on the line:

Code:
/^ *[Ss][Ee][Ll][Ee][Cc][Tt] *$/

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search files between a date range

Hi people A newbie here, thrown into the deep end. I want to select the group of files with in a range of dates and perform some operation on it. Are there inbuild date libraries i can use? I did read thru the old posts on this topic. Couldnt get much idea :(, basically want to know how I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zcanji
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search within a range.

I have this kind of file ABC UUIIIIIIIIIIII , HJHKJKL XYZ HHJJJJJJMMM ABC BBOOIO, PPLIOJK XYZ NMJKJKK ABC MMMM ABC OPOPO XYZ LLKLKLL I need to get all data from ABC till XYZ so output should be UUIIIIIIIIIIII (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting perl regex to sed regex

I am having trouble parsing rpm filenames in a shell script.. I found a snippet of perl code that will perform the task but I really don't have time to rewrite the entire script in perl. I cannot for the life of me convert this code into something sed-friendly: if ($rpm =~ /(*)-(*)-(*)\.(.*)/)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suntzu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I search with regex in one spot?

Hello im new here and i shot stright with question. Mainly i wanna ask , how do i search with regexp in one spot and show the whole thing, what im trying to ask is , for eg. i do ls -l, and i see all the info for the dirs and dats. now say i wanna get all the dats that in their name they start... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Goroner
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to specify beginning-of-line/end-of-line characters inside a regex range

How can I specify special meaning characters like ^ or $ inside a regex range. e.g Suppose I want to search for a string that either starts with '|' character or begins with start-of-line character. I tried the following but it does not work: sed 's/\(\)/<do something here>/g' file1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate Regex numeric range with specific sub-ranges

hi all, Say i have a range like 0 - 1000 and i need to split into diffrent files the lines which are within a specific fixed sub-range. I can achieve this manually but is not scalable if the range increase. E.g cat file1.txt Response time 2 ms Response time 15 ms Response time 101... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: varu0612
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex : help - How to write a range in ls

Experts, Quick question for you guys: - There are a lot of files. - How to list all files in one command from arch1_171034 to 63 , in the below examples. That means how to list with ls : arch1_171034_667780.dbf to arch1_171063_667780.dbf files. Thanks . (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex - search and replace

I have file which contains data in the following format all in a single line: BDW_PUBLN_ID DECIMAL(18:0) NOT NULL PRIMARY INDEX ARGO_ACCT_DEP_PI ( OFC_ID ,CSHBX_ID ,TRXN_SEQ_NUM ,PROCG_DT ) PARTITION BY RANGE_N(PROCG_DT BETWEEN DATE '2012-03-01' AND DATE '2014-12-31' EACH INTERVAL '1' MONTH );... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysvsr1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string on a range of lines

Hi, I am trying to parse a file searching for specific set of string and then within those set of strings finding a keyword. The script works the way that I intended it to be but I thought it could be a lot simpler may be. Any advice will be much appreciated. The script at the moment is as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sed/awk to delete a regex between range of lines

Hi Guys I am looking for a solution to one problem to remove parentheses in a range of lines. Input file module bist_logic_inst(a, ab , dhd, dhdh , djdj, hdh, djjd, jdj, dhd, dhp, dk ); input a; input ab; input dhd; input djdj; input dhd; output hdh; output djjd; output jdj;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
5 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)