Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extracting line from a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting line from a file Post 302324297 by dwgi32 on Wednesday 10th of June 2009 11:53:00 AM
Old 06-10-2009
Hi,

Need advise on the following:

to extract the first and last section of a lines.

input
2009-05-06 19:48:46.857 INFO - [00001] [184] [AA][1q][ABC]

output
2009-05-06 19:48:46.857 [ABC]

cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specified line from a file using awk

Hi, I am just trying to extract a line at a time from a file using awk and can't yet extract even the first line using the following:- awk '/(^) && (NR==1)/ {print $1}' file1 Is there an obvious silly error here? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirtrancealot
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting the line number by extracting a line

grep "KeyNotFoundException" weblogic.log After running this command the output is abcxyzexceptions.KeyNotFoundException: Person not found How to know ..what is the line number of the above string in the log file. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting a line based on line number

i want to cut all the entries from the /etc/passwd file in which the uid is> 500 for this i was writing this ,m quiet new to all this.. scripting but on the 6th n 8th line ,, i hav to specify a line number .. to get the commnd working .. but i want to use variable i instead of that ,,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: narendra.pant
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a line in a text file

If my file looks like this…. 10 20 30 and I want to take each line individually and put it in a variable so it can be read later in it's on individual test statement, how can I do that? I guess what I'm asking is how can I extract each line individually. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: terryporter51
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help: Sorting and extracting a line from a file

I was proposed with the following problem: The file 'numbers' contains a list of numbers. Write a command to place the largest one of those numbers in the file 'largest' (there should be nothing else in that file). Do not use the 'head' command in your answer. I think if i used the sort... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stava
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting line numbers from a file and redirecting them to another file

i have applied the following command on a file named unix.txt that contains the string "linux from the text" grep -n -i -w "linux from the text" unix.txt and the result is 5:Today's Linux from the text systems are split into various branches, developed over time by AT&T as well as various... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

error while extracting a line from a file based on identifier

here is the content of input file CREATE TABLE `bla bla bla` ( `allianceSiteId` int(11) DEFAULT NULL, `trunkGroupsId` int(11) DEFAULT NULL, `lastModified` timestamp NOT NULL DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP ON UPDATE CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, UNIQUE KEY `allianceSiteId`... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting line1 from a file with certain file pattern in line 7

Hello there, I am new to unix and would like to do the following, hoping someone would give some guide, thanks in advance. Lets say i have a file like this: A w x y w x 0.1 B w x y w x 0.3 C w x y w x 0.7 D w x y w x 0.9 E w x y w x 0.2 So i would like to extract line 1 data where line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seiksoon
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with extracting line in file

My file looks like this and i need to only extract those with PDT_AP21_B and output it to another file. Can anyone help? Thanks. PDT_AP21_R,,, 11 TYS,,,,T17D1207230742TYO***T17DS,,C PDT_AP21_L,,,9631166650001 ,,,,T17D1207230903TYOTYST17DS ,,C... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alyssa
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines from a text file based on another text file with line numbers

Hi, I am trying to extract lines from a text file given a text file containing line numbers to be extracted from the first file. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies
KAS_STRINGTOKEY(8)					       AFS Command Reference						KAS_STRINGTOKEY(8)

NAME
kas_stringtokey - Converts a character string into an octal key SYNOPSIS
kas stringtokey -string <password string> [-cell <cell name>] [-help] kas str -s <password string> [-c <cell name>] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The kas stringtokey command converts the character string specified with the -string argument into an octal string suitable for use as an encryption key. The kas command interpreter generates the octal key by using an encryption algorithm on the combination of the specified string and the name of the local cell (as recorded in the local /etc/openafs/ThisCell file). Use the -cell argument to convert a string into a key appropriate for a cell other than the local one. CAUTIONS
This command writes the key to the standard output stream, on which it can possibly be intercepted by third parties. It is not very secure to use the key in an actual Authentication Database entry. OPTIONS
-string <password string> Specifies the character string to convert into an octal key. -cell <cell name> Specifies the complete Internet domain name of the cell to combine with the password string while generating the key. If this argument is omitted, the kas command interpreter determines the name of the local cell by consulting: o First, the value of the environment variable AFSCELL. o Second, the cellname in the /etc/openafs/ThisCell file on the local machine. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output is of the following form: Converting I<password string> in realm 'I<cell_name>' yields key='I<key>'. EXAMPLES
The following example shows the octal key equivalent of the string "new_pswd" in the ABC Corporation cell. % kas stringtokey new_pswd Converting new_pswd in realm 'ABC.COM' yields key='346307364320263233342354'. PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None, and no password is required. SEE ALSO
ThisCell(5), kas(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 KAS_STRINGTOKEY(8)