Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Echo password
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Echo password Post 302324258 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 10th of June 2009 10:36:31 AM
Old 06-10-2009
When is your class project due?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to echo password characters

Hi All, I was wondering, how can I echo password using a character such as '*' in unix? In my machine, password is not echoed, so it is only blank space when I enter any password. So, when I enter a command such as "lock", how can I set the echo character to "*" or something else for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukluk
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading password and echo * character

Hi, First of all i am using solaris 10. I want to write a script that ask user to enter password and read the character input from keyboard. The ask to re-enter the password and then if they are match it will accept. But my problem is I want to echo a '*' character instead of the character I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanpachuau
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to correctly use an echo inside an echo?

Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example... i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos... echo "echo "hello"" >$file echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why PieTTY echo login password as "*"?

Normally, When we login a remote server, the password does'nt echo as anything. But When I use PieTTY(on windows) to login a linux ssh server, the password echoes as "*". But When I have logged in, I use the ssh command to login the same server locally again, now the password does'nt echo. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

password protect a CSV file: better solution than ZIP password?

Hi We send *.csv with sensitive data to our customers. Our customers open those files with Excel. A new requirement is that we password protect those CSV files. I thought to pack them with ZIP and assign a password to the archive. But Solaris 10 can't encrypt ZIP files. $ zip -P... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to hide password when using echo cmd?

Hi Am using unix Aix Ksh I need to hide the password using echo cmd Connecting the database and fetching ip_address and password from one table. greping the IP_address and password using two variable IP_addr Pawd Then Used echo cmd echo " connecting to $IP-addr and $Pawd" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
3 Replies

10. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies