Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: user with limited access
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers user with limited access Post 302324162 by q8devilish on Wednesday 10th of June 2009 06:13:30 AM
Old 06-10-2009
can you be please more specific in how to make that for example if i want the user to access only trace directory and this is the directory permission, obviously anyone can read it, but i would like to make a user who can only read it and nothing else, is there a way?
drwxrwxrwx 3 ora10g dba 126464 Jun 10 13:04 trace

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to create a new ftp user account with limited access..?

Hi All, I'm using solaris 2.8, and I want create a new ftp user account with the following restrictions: - Have only ftp access, no telnet or rlogin - Have restricted access to its home directory example /export/home/newuser - Deny access to any other directory. Thanks for your help, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeremy3
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create user - limited priviledge

i want to create unix user account (usera) for outsider so that they can run program that exist in /application/xxx/. The account have their own home directory (/home/usera). But on the same time the user cannot run any application/command either than in /application/xxx/. User can only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: golden_shooter
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

create user - limited priviledge

i want to create unix user account (usera) for outsider so that they can run program that exist in /application/xxx/. The account have their own home directory (/home/usera). But on the same time the user cannot run any application/command either than in /application/xxx/. User can only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: golden_shooter
1 Replies

4. Solaris

user with limited privileges

Hi, I tried to search, but could not find answer for this really: Is it possible to create a user that would have access only to a defined list of files? I would like to create a user that can access a set of files that are located behind different path. This user should not have access to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Juha
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Creating User account with limited permission

Hi All, I want to create an user account which can only excute "df -kh" and "prstat -a" command. The user will not be able to perform "rm" and other critical commands. Is there a way to do it? rgds, Ronny (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronny_nch
2 Replies

6. Solaris

User with limited access to one directory

is there a way to create a user and limit him to read,write and execute only in one direcotry. the directory is already exsist and it belongs to dba group. i would like to make this user can't even cd to another directory or even if he can he cant do anything in the other directories. if... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: q8devilish
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

new userid with limited access

Hi, I want to create a user using useradd -m test. But my requirement is he should not change his directory from Home directory. How can I restric the user not to change his directory from his home dir? Thanks, Suresh Double Post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
0 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Create an user with limited permission on LUbuntu

Hello folks, I pretend install Lubuntu 16.04 LTS in pc for any employer use this pc! I think create an user with, only, permission to read and write, 770. This is the best scenario? I think create this user through terminal, because I pretend create a script, and I don't where wizard has... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: enodev
0 Replies
trace(1)						      General Commands Manual							  trace(1)

Name
       trace - trace system calls of programs

Syntax
       trace [options] cmd args...

Description
       The  command  with  no flag arguments traces for the given cmd and args all system calls made and prints a time stamp, the PID, call and/or
       return values and arguments and puts its output in the file trace.dump.

Options
       -f filename
	       Puts dump in file filename.

-z      Echos arguments only.

Only one of the following option arguments can be specified at one time.

-c#     Traces given PIDs and their children.  Up to sixteen PIDs can be specified.

-g#     Traces given groups only.  Up to sixteen Group IDs can be specified.

-p#     Traces given PIDs only.	Up to sixteen PIDs can be specified.

-s#     Traces given system calls only.	Up to sixteen PIDs can be specified.

-u#     Traces given UIDs only.	Up to sixteen PIDs can be specified.

Examples
       trace -f ls.dump ls -l /dev >ls.out
       runs the cmd ls -l /dev and puts the trace in ls.dump and output in ls.out.
       trace -f csh.trace -p $$ &
       will trace your login shell in the background. To stop the trace just send it a termination signal (that is, kill -TERM trace_pid).

Restrictions
       Due to security, no one, not even the super-user can trace anyone else's programs. This sort of negates some of the usefulness  of  the	-g
       and -u flags.

The program cannot be traced.

Only 16 numbers can be given to the -c, -p, -g, -u, and -s flags.

The kernel configuration file must contain the following:
       options	       SYS_TRACE
       pseudo-device   sys_trace

In addition, the superuser must use the following command sequence to create the device:
       cd /dev
       MAKEDEV trace
       If both lines are not in the configuration file or if the device is not made, the message "Cannot open /dev/trace" appears.

Files
       /dev/trace     read only character special device for reading syscall data.

trace.dump     default file for the system call trace data.

See Also
       open(2), close(2), ioctl(2), select(2), read(2), trace(5)

trace(1)