Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract directory from a file path Post 302324074 by mrudula009 on Tuesday 9th of June 2009 10:58:44 PM
Old 06-09-2009
Extract directory from a file path

Im trying to extract a directory from a path entered by the user

Lets say the path is
path=/home/bliss/files/myfile.txt

i wanna extract "/home/bliss/files" from $path ... how can i do this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract only file name from full path file name

What is the smartest way to just extract file name from a full path name. e.g. if I have /usr/sanjay/bin/file_name.c I want only file_name.c Sanjay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract The File Path using SED

hi, I have a file path like usr/scripts/pass/bin and usr/scripts/pass/line I want to extract first three characters using sed Like for path usr/scripts/pass/bin i want to extract usr/scripts/pass and for path usr/scripts/pass/line i want to extract usr/scripts/pass (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diggi
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

one liner to extract path from PATH variable

Hi, Could anyone help me in writing a single line code by either using (sed, awk, perl or whatever) to extract a specific path from the PATH environment variable? for eg: suppose the PATH is being set as follows PATH=/usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/java:/usr/bin/perl3.4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with path extract from file

hello, i have a configuration file app.conf under /tmp, containing values like : param1=/data/something param2=/data/somethingelse i have a bash script that has to list the files under the path that corresponds to param2 : #!/bin/bash dir=$(cat tmp/app.conf | grep param2 | sed ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaa
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

A file or directory in the path does not exist

I'm brand new to AIX and I looked up how to print this file and it was working but now I'm not able to do it all of a sudden. the file name is rom1.txt so this is what i wrote in the command line and I know I'm in the right directory. In bold is what I seem to be messing up with. prod @ root... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dark0Prince
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract directory path from a parameter

i was attempting to extract a directory path that was passed from a parameter with this code vdir=`dirname $p1` echo current directory $vdir it does not work when the parameter passed has wild card on it. for example $ sh sample1.sh "/sbin/log/c*.log" dirname: extra operand... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
tracker-extract(1)						   User Commands						tracker-extract(1)

NAME
tracker-extract - Extract metadata from a file. SYNOPSYS
tracker-extract [OPTION...] FILE... DESCRIPTION
tracker-extract reads the file and mimetype provided in stdin and extract the metadata from this file; then it displays the metadata on the standard output. NOTE: If a FILE is not provided then tracker-extract will run for 30 seconds waiting for DBus calls before quitting. OPTIONS
-?, --help Show summary of options. -v, --verbosity=N Set verbosity to N. This overrides the config value. Values include 0=errors, 1=minimal, 2=detailed and 3=debug. -f, --file=FILE The FILE to extract metadata from. The FILE argument can be either a local path or a URI. It also does not have to be an absolute path. -m, --mime=MIME The MIME type to use for the file. If one is not provided, it will be guessed automatically. -d, --disable-shutdown Disable shutting down after 30 seconds of inactivity. -i, --force-internal-extractors Use this option to force internal extractors over 3rd parties like libstreamanalyzer. -m, --force-module=MODULE Force a particular module to be used. This is here as a convenience for developers wanting to test their MODULE file. Only the MOD- ULE name has to be specified, not the full path. Typically, a MODULE is installed to /usr/lib/tracker-0.7/extract-modules/. This option can be used with or without the .so part of the name too, for example, you can use --force-module=foo Modules are shared objects which are dynamically loaded at run time. These files must have the .so suffix to be loaded and must con- tain the correct symbols to be authenticated by tracker-extract. For more information see the libtracker-extract reference documen- tation. -V, --version Show binary version. EXAMPLES
Using command line to extract metadata from a file: $ tracker-extract -v 3 -f /path/to/some/file.mp3 Using a specific module to extract metadata from a file: $ tracker-extract -v 3 -f /path/to/some/file.mp3 -m mymodule ENVIRONMENT
TRACKER_EXTRACTORS_DIR This is the directory which tracker uses to load the shared libraries from (used for extracting metadata for specific file types). These are needed on each invocation of tracker-store. If unset it will default to the correct place. This is used mainly for testing purposes. The default location is /usr/lib/tracker-0.10/extract-modules/. TRACKER_EXTRACTOR_RULES_DIR This is the directory which tracker uses to load the rules files from. The rules files describe extractor modules and their sup- ported MIME types. The default location is /usr/share/tracker/extract-rules/. TRACKER_USE_CONFIG_FILES Don't use GSettings, instead use a config file similar to how settings were saved in 0.10.x. That is, a file which is much like an .ini file. These are saved to $HOME/.config/tracker/ SEE ALSO
tracker-store(1), tracker-sparql(1), tracker-stats(1), tracker-info(1). /usr/lib/tracker-0.10/extract-modules/ /usr/share/tracker/extract-rules/ GNU
July 2007 tracker-extract(1)