Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting err with 'awk' command Post 302323564 by vgersh99 on Monday 8th of June 2009 09:33:32 AM
Old 06-08-2009
If on Solaris, use /usr/bin/nawk or /usr/xpg4/bin/awk

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar write err

This isn't causing me a problem, but it is puzzling (& slightly worrying) me. If I use tar to copy to a tape & the tape is write protected, I only get the message 'tar: tape write err' if there are a few files to copy. eg. # tar cvf /dev/rStp4 /usr/data will produce the messages ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Pryke
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Err while using find command

hi frnds, I have written a script as follows. ssh username@servername "find $1 -type f -name $2 -mtime +1 -exec rm '{}' \;" when i excute tis script i get error FIND: Parameter format not correct parameter 2 is the file name .. . Thx in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikramsnest
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sccs get -ek command is throwing err

Hi, get -ek s.Communicator.java The difference between the current date and the creation date of the newest delta in the SCCS file is greater than 1 year. Make sure that the system date is set correctly. This message is only a warning. (co11) 14.3 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivaprasad BS
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax err near unexpected token...

I've been looking at this code too long. Maybe a fresh set of eyes can spot the: "syntax error near unexpected token `(' ./phmenu ` tput cup 18 4: echo "Accept? (y) es or (n)o: " This is the line in the code: tput cup 18 4; echo "Accept? (y)es or (n)o: " Thanks In Advance... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Phrasing err ssh...

hi.... below cmd (to get current hour - 1) works in localhost...whereas to get the same value in remote host..no result.. looks some pharsing error...can someone help? $ date Monday, 3 May 2010 09:15:46 GMT $ perl -e 'print "" . localtime(time()-$ARGV) . "\n";' 3600 Mon May 3 08:15:57... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: id100
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command in script gives error while same awk command at prompt runs fine: Why?

Hello all, Here is what my bash script does: sums number columns, saves the tot in new column, outputs if tot >= threshold val: > cat getnon0file.sh #!/bin/bash this="getnon0file.sh" USAGE=$this" InFile="xyz.38" Min="0.05" # awk '{sum=0; for(n=2; n<=NF; n++){sum+=$n};... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalys
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh script: std Out/err

Hello gurus, this is part of my script: ls -1 ${MyFile} >> ${dir_log}ListFile${Now}.tmp FILENUM=`cat ${dir_log}ListFile${Now}.tmp| wc -l | awk '{print $1}'`>> /dev/null if then writeError "ERRORE: no file in directory for type ${FileName}!" >> ${LogFileName} Close 1 fi... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: GERMANICO
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor for new file with ext .err and size > 0 bytes and perform a action or command

Hi All, I need to create a script to monitor a dir for new files with ext .err and also it should b a non empty files. and perform a action or command . We have a new ETL application that runs on a linux server, every times a etl fails it creates a .err file or updates the existing .err... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MAKHAN
4 Replies

9. Solaris

I/O error Err#5 EIO

Hi gurus, My Solaris version is Solaris 10 1/06 s10s_u1wos_19a SPARC Im getting I/O error while trying to ls -l a directory in Solaris SPARC box the truss output from server is attached below truss -fall -vall -wall -rall ls -la 12278/1: acl("./dat", GETACLCNT, 0,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solaris_Begin
3 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)