Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to add 'n' of tab char?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to add 'n' of tab char? Post 302323553 by askumarece on Monday 8th of June 2009 08:57:11 AM
Old 06-08-2009
How to add 'n' of tab char?

Hi All,

I need to add 'n' no. of tab char (\t) in a file thro' a script. Say for example if I give 5 as input then my script should give the all the lines with 5tabs.

Input File :
#######
asdfdf456
dfgdf4564

So my Output File should look like:
#######################
\t\t\t\t\t12323234
\t\t\t\t\t56465456
\t\t\t\t\tasdfdf456
\t\t\t\t\tdfgdf4564

Thanks in advance
Saravana

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Add Tab

How to added a TAB at end of each line of a file using ksh vi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi.sadani19
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tab char appearing as single space?

I'm trying to run a script which will ssh to several other servers (All Solaris 10) and execute a sar -f command to get each server's CPU usage for a given hour. It kinda works OK but I just can't figure out how to separate the returned fields with a Tab character. I've done lots of searching... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake657
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat a field and add a char

I tried to readout the forth word of a file and add a ',' after each occurance and write the result in a file, but following code doesn't work cat output.csv | cut -d ';' -f4 || ', '>> NR.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
2 Replies

4. Programming

error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’

Compiling xpp (The X Printing Panel) on SL6 (RHEL6 essentially): xpp.cxx: In constructor ‘printFiles::printFiles(int, char**, int&)’: xpp.cxx:200: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’ The same error with all c++ constructors - gcc 4.4.4. If anyone can throw any light on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSO
8 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

add char o end of line if dosent exist

hey , i want to check if the char "#" exist at the end of every line of txt file and if it dosent then add it for example: the cat jumped on my mom # cars can run on water# i cant get a date blue yellow# will be: the cat went back home# cars can run on water# i cant get a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boaz733
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add char before certain line

I'm trying to add a '1' before a line that has the word "C_ID" s/.*C_ID.*/&\n1/ The above code did what I need, but the '1' is added after the C_ID word :( Help please. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbeee
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add new line after ' char

Hello experts, I need to convert one file into readable format. Input file is like following line. STG,12345,000,999,' PQR, 2345,000,999,' XYZ,7890,000,999, Output should be following (After ' char new line char should be added.) STG,12345,000,999,' PQR, 2345,000,999,' ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetmedude
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add a new sheet or a new tab in a csv file?

Hi All, I woulk like thanks to all of you for your instant support. I am again in a trouble so move to here for solution. I want to add a new sheet or a new tab in a csv file means a singly csv file having two or more sheets. Please help me any help towards this should highly be appreciated. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashish Singhal
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to add tab to output of both conditions

In the below awk written by @RavinderSingh13 I have added a few lines and am trying to have the output be tab-delimited. The input is space-delimeted and the portion in bold seems to add a tab to the Not found but not the found. Thank you :). file1 One 1 Two 2 Three 3 file2 One 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to add a numeric & special char to end of the first line

Need to add a numeric & special char to end of the first line Existing file: 12-11-16|11 2016 Jan 12:34:55|03:55| 13-10-16|10 2016 Jan 12:34:55|03:55|12-11-16|11 2016 Jan 12:34:55|03:55| 14-10-16|19 2016 Jan 12:34:55|03:55|13-11-16|11 2016 Jan 12:34:55|04:55| 15-10-16|18 2016 Jan... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joselouis
11 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)