Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Obtain the remote username?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Obtain the remote username? Post 302323513 by Coleyman on Monday 8th of June 2009 06:22:19 AM
Old 06-08-2009
Obtain the remote username?

Hi,

I'm new to Unix scripting so I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I have trawled the web trying to find an answer to this but have not been able to find out anything.

I'm trying to create a script that when supplied with a hostname, will find out information about the remote machine.

I know the admin account details on the remote machine, and can obtain the IP address no problem, but I'm having trouble finding out how to obtain the username of the person that is currently logged into the machine.

Just so I can make this clear, I do not want to copy the script onto the remote machine and run it (as in copy the script to the machine and 'whoami'). I actually want to try and obtain the username remotely.

I realize that this may not be possible due to security reasons.

Any ideas?

Many thanks for any help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where to obtain FreeBSD?

Anyone help ! From where can I download a free version of FreeBSD ? I am trying to teach myself this OS, have all the documentation needed, but am short the OS itself. If anyone can send me a link, I would be most appreciative ! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: treborwallace
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote Copy without entering Username and Password

I tried the following script to copy one file automatically: #!/bin/csh -f su - root -c "rcp 150.10.128.1:/export/home/sn408Xl/sn408Sol/$fn $fn This works fine but is there a better way to copy remotely without entering the username and password? Moreover, after the file is copied a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilak1008
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

How can I obtain Hpux?

Hi, How can I obtain Hpux? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arabidi
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to obtain list of users ?

How to obtain list of users found in /home/ and append it to a file. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby36
7 Replies

5. Programming

to obtain users of each group in c

Hello They have ordered to me that makes several small utilities in C/C++ for the servants, among them a small program in C/C++ to generate a file HTML with the groups of that servant and in addition that is the corresponding users of that group. For example of a group: Group: Sys Members:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cybermeis
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script: obtain the exit code of remote command

Hi all, I'm trying to run the sipp simulator in crontab but after some attempt I came to the conclusion that for some reason this isn't possible (maybe due to sipp interactive nature). This is confirmed by these posts. Now I'm trying to launch sipp from an expect script that runs in crontab. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Evan
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to obtain a variable between subroutines

#!/usr/bin/bash sub1 () { for ((i=0;i<10;i++)) do export a=$i; echo "value of a is $a"; sleep 1 done } sub1 & sub2 () { for ((j=0;j<10;j++)) do echo "value of a is $a"; sleep 1 done } (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connect to Remote DB2 ,using URL ,username,Password

Hi All, I am new to Shell scripting, I want to connect to DB2 database through URL,username and password Please help me out. I read so many posts in that there is no where it is mentioned about how to connect to a remote database. Thanks in advance :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohit G
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to obtain info from whois?

Hello, do you know any clever way to get information whether certain domain name become avaialble for registration from bash script? Would be good to check for the availability like every 100miliseconds, i want to catch domain. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: postcd
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Why does "ps -[u|U] username" not list processes when username is numeric?

Greetings, The title pretty much says it all. I've snooped everywhere and can't find anything on this. Since our organization went to numeric usernames, using the u|U option for ps returns no processes. Example passwd entry: 320074:DjZAJKXun8HBs:10129:6006:Joe Y:/cadhome/analysis/jy:/bin/bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
4 Replies
HOSTS.EQUIV(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    HOSTS.EQUIV(5)

NAME
hosts.equiv, .rhosts -- trusted remote hosts and host-user pairs DESCRIPTION
The hosts.equiv and .rhosts files list hosts and users which are ``trusted'' by the local host when a connection is made via rlogind(8), rshd(8), or any other server that uses ruserok(3). This mechanism bypasses password checks, and is required for access via rsh(1). Each line of these files has the format: hostname [username] The hostname may be specified as a host name (typically a fully qualified host name in a DNS environment) or address, +@netgroup (from which only the host names are checked), or a ``+'' wildcard (allow all hosts). The username, if specified, may be given as a user name on the remote host, +@netgroup (from which only the user names are checked), or a ``+'' wildcard (allow all remote users). If a username is specified, only that user from the specified host may login to the local machine. If a username is not specified, any user may login with the same user name. EXAMPLES
somehost A common usage: users on somehost may login to the local host as the same user name. somehost username The user username on somehost may login to the local host. If specified in /etc/hosts.equiv, the user may login with only the same user name. +@anetgroup username The user username may login to the local host from any machine listed in the netgroup anetgroup. + + + Two severe security hazards. In the first case, allows a user on any machine to login to the local host as the same user name. In the second case, allows any user on any machine to login to the local host (as any user, if in /etc/hosts.equiv). WARNINGS
The username checks provided by this mechanism are not secure, as the remote user name is received by the server unchecked for validity. Therefore this mechanism should only be used in an environment where all hosts are completely trusted. A numeric host address instead of a host name can help security considerations somewhat; the address is then used directly by iruserok(3). When a username (or netgroup, or +) is specified in /etc/hosts.equiv, that user (or group of users, or all users, respectively) may login to the local host as any local user. Usernames in /etc/hosts.equiv should therefore be used with extreme caution, or not at all. A .rhosts file must be owned by the user whose home directory it resides in, and must be writable only by that user. Logins as root only check root's .rhosts file; the /etc/hosts.equiv file is not checked for security. Access permitted through root's .rhosts file is typically only for rsh(1), as root must still login on the console for an interactive login such as rlogin(1). FILES
/etc/hosts.equiv Global trusted host-user pairs list ~/.rhosts Per-user trusted host-user pairs list SEE ALSO
rcp(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1), rcmd(3), ruserok(3), netgroup(5) HISTORY
The .rhosts file format appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
The ruserok(3) implementation currently skips negative entries (preceded with a ``-'' sign) and does not treat them as ``short-circuit'' neg- ative entries. BSD
November 26, 1997 BSD