Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help with scripting a simple menu Post 302323341 by durden_tyler on Saturday 6th of June 2009 10:52:35 PM
Old 06-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith
... Also, I'm not clear on how to use the read command to utilize the user's input (#'s 4-7).
You show a prompt to the user if they choose 4 through 7 from the menu. You will need to capture the response of that prompt again, and run the relevant command - "cp" for backup, "grep" for /etc/passwd lookup, "man" for display of manual page etc. Also, you can perform a couple of file tests to determine if the input value in #4 is a regular file or a directory or something else.
In the command pipeline of #3, you may want to use "sort -u" to display unique users, since the same user can be displayed more than once in the output of "who" command.

I've tweaked your script a bit, incorporating these suggestions -

Code:
$                                                            
$ cat menu.sh                                                
#!/bin/bash                                                  
#set -vx                                                     

while :
do     
  clear
  # Display menu
  echo          
  echo  "*************************************************************"
  echo  "Please choose from the following options; type the"           
  echo  "option number and hit the <Enter> key."                       
  echo                                                                 
  echo  "   1) To list names of the files in the current DIR"          
  echo  "   2) Display today's date and time"                          
  echo  "   3) Display a sorted list of people currently logged on"    
  echo  "   4) Display whether a file is a file or a DIR"              
  echo  "   5) Create a backup for a file"                             
  echo  "   6) Find a user by First of Last name in /etc/passwd file"  
  echo  "   7) Find the manual pages for a specific command"           
  echo  "   8) Exit"                                                   
  echo                                                                 
  echo  "*************************************************************"
  read option                                                          
  case "$option" in                                                    
      1)    echo "The files in the current DIR are: "                  
            ls -l                                                      
            echo "Hit <Enter> to continue."                            
            read ignore                                                
            ;;                                                         
      2)    echo "The current date is: "                               
            date                                                       
            unset date                                                 
            read ignore                                                
            ;;                                                         
      3)    echo "The following is a list of the academic scholars"    
            echo "currently logged in:"                                
            who | cut -d " " -f1 | sort -u                             
            read ignore                                                
            ;;                                                         
      4)    echo "Enter file to determine whether a simple file or a directory:"
            read fdname                                                         
            if [ ! -e $fdname ]; then                                           
              echo "$fdname does not exist."                                    
            elif [ -d $fdname ]; then                                           
              echo "$fdname is a directory."                                    
            elif [ -f $fdname ]; then                                           
              echo "$fdname is a regular file."                                 
            else                                                                
              echo "$fdname is something else."                                 
            fi                                                                  
            read ignore                                                         
            ;;                                                                  
      5)    echo "Enter the file you would like to create a backup for:"        
            read fname                                                          
            if [ ! -e $fname ]; then                                            
              echo "$fname does not exist."                                     
            elif [ ! -f $fname ]; then                                          
              echo "$fname is not a regular file."                              
            else                                                                
              cp "$fname" "$fname.bkp"                                          
              echo "Created backup $fname.bkp for $fname"
            fi
            read ignore
            ;;
      6)    echo "Enter user's first or last name:"
            read flname
            grep $flname /etc/passwd
            if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
              echo "Sorry, $flname was not found in /etc/passwd"
            fi
            read ignore
            ;;
      7)    echo "Enter command for which you would like the manual:"
            read cmd
            man $cmd
            read ignore
            ;;
      8)    echo "Thank You for using Skynet"
            echo "Remember: Skynet is the Future"
            sleep 1.5
            break
            ;;
      *)   echo "Invalid option; valid ones are from 1 to 8"
           read ignore
           ;;
  esac
done

$
$

Hope that helps,
tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting for menu

Hi, I'm writting a script to filter a cvs log and get only the modified files to move them to a specific directory to compile. I try to filter a line and move from source to target, with no results. Could you help me? for example, in the cvs log file appears: cat log.txt U... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Menu and coding

I am very new to Unix and don't know much about it. I've been trying to create a menu and what I don't understand is how to execute a command once a user makes a selection. I have the menu set up. In fact, the following is the code that I have thus far: #! /bin/csh # This is the UNIX menu... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinjin
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting problem - when the file is not found i want it to return to the menu

when the file is not found i want it to return to the menu, however it carries out the next line when i hit a key I know its probably something simple can anyone help? here is my pause function: function pause(){ read -s -n 1 -p "Press any key to return to Menu . . ." echo } SCRIPT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alendrin
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scripting menu problem

Hi there, I am new to Unix and at the moment I am trying to solve my assignment that is to create a script for the program to prompt user to type three codes, from user point of view it should be done by typing codes separating them by spaces. Then program displays a menu with these three... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dannel
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl simple text menu with options

Hopefully I'm in the right place. Im new to the forums and linux! I'm looking to add a menu to my perl hangman game i have created. The menu will use user input for the desired option and then perform the operation indicated. I would like something along the lines of: Welcome to Hangman... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jahburmski
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two columns output in simple case menu?

EDIT : System used : Any Linux distribution. Hello everyone, I m having quite a headache trying to figure out why I m having a 2 columns output in the following code : #!/bin/ksh menu_rotation() { #Variables CHOIX1="Rotation 1" CHOIX2="Rotation 2" CHOIX3="Rotation 3" ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekullos
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple bash script menu

Dear Sir, May I know how do I go about adding the following feature into the script below: When user enter values other than 1,2,3,4, a) Message “Wrong entry !!! Pls select 1,2,3 or 4” is displayed b) The screen is cleared again and the menu is displayed. #!/bin/bash clear var=1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fusetrips
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple calculator with menu input - Need Help

I am trying to make a calculator. The user Enters number 1, chooses and operation, enters number 2, then chooses another operation or for the answer to be displayed. eg. 1 + 1 = or 1 + 1 + 2 + 1 = Both of these should be possible. #!/bin/bash read -p "what's the first number? " n1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redshine6
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell scripting/menu

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a shell menu program that will: a. copy a file to a designated directory b. tell you if a specified user... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagst3r21
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu and case statement scripting

hi all i am trying to get help with writing a script using case statement to display menu as 1) Authentication log 2) System log 3) Messages 4) Dmesg 5) Boot log Q) Exit When selecting the menu by 1 or 2 or 3 o 4 or 5, it should display the last 10 lines of the log files, if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade11
3 Replies