Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tracing file installation
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Tracing file installation Post 302322581 by tetreb on Thursday 4th of June 2009 06:42:22 AM
Old 06-04-2009
Tracing file installation

Hello, my first post here.

I have a script to install a program which runs the user through installation interface offering several options. What I want to do is to trace the possible mistakes during the installation and send them to a logfile. I.e if a user interrupts the installation, I would trap the interrupt. However, I would also like to log the file which was being installed at the moment of pressing ctrl-c.

Also, I'd like to know if there is a way to trap errors like insuficient disk space, trying to write over a read-only file and similar, all with info on the file involved. I was thinking of pre-checking on available disk space, however I'm not sure if quota command is portable on all the systems the program would be installed on.

I understand the question may be too comprehensive for forum posts, so I'd appreciate if you would at least suggest some literature or offer some basic idea if it is possible to implement such logging. Can you think of another errors that could happen during the installation?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tracing a terminal

Hi you all, any of you know how to monitor what is going on in another terminal? I mean if somebody will install an application on my server remotely and I want to "watch" what he is doing. I remember that some one use the "audit" command but now I just can't remember. thanx.:mad: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex blanco
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tracing file modifications

Hello all! Is there a way or a utility to trace any kind of file changes in a particular directory on any UNIX machine? The purpose is that in Unix, there are multiple ways of opening and making changes to a file. But internally, there must be something common (a single pipe, etc.) that is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gupta_ca
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tracing ethereal traces

Hi All........ i need a perl script that can trace the traces of the ethereal tool. PLZ help me out...............!!!!!!!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trupti_rinku
1 Replies

4. Linux

tracing

hello every one can any one help me out i just want to trace what ever i am doing in linux 8.0 in the text mode to be saved in a text file so that at the end i can see my work what i have do. its just like oracle spool so you can see your work at the end . for example what ever command u gave... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shary
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tracing in linux

hello every one can any one help me out i just want to trace what ever i am doing in linux 8.0 in the text mode to be saved in a text file so that at the end i can see my work what i have do. its just like oracle spool so you can see your work at the end . for example what ever command u gave... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shary
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tracing a user input

Hi, i need to get a log of all the commands typed and output of those commands fired by a specific user on my sun machine. Also i need to trace all commands and inputs given from a specific IP on my machine. Regards Rochit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for tracing row in a file

Hi! Sorry for stupid questions, I'm quite unfamiliar win *nix systems I have a script which generates the file which looks like that: 12.11.2008 06.01 0 0 0 2 2 0 0 0 12.11.2008 06.02 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: consta.v
3 Replies

8. Programming

tracing function with Graphviz

I was searching for a tool to trace the function flow to help me understand the code. I came across the article "visualize function calls with graphviz" by Tim Jones. Visualize function calls with Graphviz I was able to obtain the flow diagram for simple programs and also for the example... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjjoy
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File access tracing

Hello.. Is there anyway to check if some processes are reading one file? Id use inotify, but my kernel is 2.6.9, so it doesnt work. -k- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kimmo_
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tracing a function call

Hi I am hoping someone can explain this to me as I am struggling to understand it. I had a problem today with needing to trace a ksh script that was dotting in a function that was writing to stdout. The problem was it was being run in a sub shell and the output was being parsed by the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
1 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)