Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX All output at console and in a file at same time ? Post 302322455 by Browser_ice on Wednesday 3rd of June 2009 09:40:32 PM
Old 06-03-2009
Question All output at console and in a file at same time ?

I have several backup scripts I am improving which involves mksysb, savevg and tar.

Is there a way to have the output of any command sent to the standard output as usual (terminal) and at the same time, send a copy of it all into a file ? Normal outputs and error outputs.

Even if I am checking the status of the backup process, I know my client. They will ask that I display on the terminal the output of the backup so they see it running. But if there is a problem, scrolling the window all the way back to the start of the backup will not be possible (too much output). So if I can send all the output to a file, I could either do a grep from it to spot the error or let the operator view the file to find the errors himself (media error, ...).

added comments...
I saw similar posts done. I am checking them out...

Forgot to mention I am on AIX 4.2 with Korn shell

added comments ...
testing it with TAR

tar cvfpdl /dev/rmt0 . 2>&1 | tee -a /tmp/test.log

it only displays and copies the warnings/errors

tar cvfpdl /dev/rmt0 . | tee -a /tmp/test.log
does the same thing. I need the whole thing on console and in a file.

will continue to check other threads... (by the way, after each backup actions, I am checking the $? status for status and do actions accordingly).

Last edited by Browser_ice; 06-03-2009 at 11:32 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output to terminal and file at the same time

Hi all The makefile of a large project produces hundreds of lines of output, which I can't look at any more when the build is finished. If I simply redirect the output to a file, I can't see the progress of the building process... Is there a possibility to redirect the output to a file and at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Charlie
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

redirect to both file and std output at the same time

hello can some one please help me to redirect the output of a command to both std output and a file. this is little urgent. sridhar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: send2sridhar
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

routing kill output from console to file

Hi , I am using the following command kill -3 pid ----which will return the thread dump. I want redirect this to file. I tried like the following two ways. kill -3 9843 >> srini.log kill -3 9852 >> srini 2>&1 But those two cases are failed :mad: pls let me knwo is there any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivsa
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output to both console and to a file

Hi All, Is there a way in Bash we can redirection some output to both console and the file at the same time. ~Parag (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl :How to print the o/p of a Perl script on console and redirecting same in log file @ same time.

How can i print the output of a perl script on a unix console and redirect the same in a log file under same directory simultaneously ? Like in Shell script, we use tee, is there anything in Perl or any other option ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: butterfly20
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Clean console output routed to a file

A friend routed some console output to a file for me. The problem is he used backspace and escape sequences all over the place. Using vi to view the file makes it difficult to read. Is there a program that will process the backspaces and remove the escape sequences? e.g., bash-3.00$ pwd^ (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eddyq
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the output of a cvs command to a file as well as the console.

Hi can anyone tell me how to redirect the ouput of a cvs command to a file as well as the console? i tried using cvs add <filename> | tee logFile cvs add <filename> 2>logFile 2>&1 All i could get is only on console or on file. Please help Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankitag2010
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Shell/Perl(?)] Prepending timestamps to console output & writing results to a file

I do a lot of TSM work and I embarked on what I thought would be an easy task, and I'd be very happy for any input to save the pounding my keyboard is receiving :] By default, the output of TSM's console has no timestamping, making it hard to sort through accurately. This puts my console into... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect an output from a script to a file and display it at a console simultaneously

Hi, I'd like to redirect the STDOUT output from my script to a file and simultaneously display it at a console. I've tried this command: myscript.sh | tail -f However, it doesn't end after the script finishes running I've also tried this: myscript.sh | tee ~/results.txt But it writes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print Error in Console and both Error & Output in Log file - UNIX

I am writing a shell script with 2 run time arguments. During the execution if i got any error, then it needs to redirected to a error file and in console. Also both error and output to be redirected to a log file. But i am facing the below error. #! /bin/sh errExit () { errMsg=`cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
1 Replies
LOGSAVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							LOGSAVE(8)

NAME
logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile SYNOPSIS
logsave [ -asv ] logfile cmd_prog [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
The logsave program will execute cmd_prog with the specified argument(s), and save a copy of its output to logfile. If the containing directory for logfile does not exist, logsave will accumulate the output in memory until it can be written out. A copy of the output will also be written to standard output. If cmd_prog is a single hyphen ('-'), then instead of executing a program, logsave will take its input from standard input and save it in logfile logsave is useful for saving the output of initial boot scripts until the /var partition is mounted, so the output can be written to /var/log. OPTIONS
-a This option will cause the output to be appended to logfile, instead of replacing its current contents. -s This option will cause logsave to skip writing to the log file text which is bracketed with a control-A (ASCII 001 or Start of Header) and control-B (ASCII 002 or Start of Text). This allows progress bar information to be visible to the user on the console, while not being written to the log file. -v This option will make logsave to be more verbose in its output to the user. AUTHOR
Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) SEE ALSO
fsck(8) E2fsprogs version 1.44.1 March 2018 LOGSAVE(8)