Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting parse file into tab separated columns Post 302322364 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 3rd of June 2009 01:29:11 PM
Old 06-03-2009
Code:
awk '{if(length($0)> 0)  {printf("%s\t",$0)} else {print $0}' infile > outfile

Try that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shell script to parse the contents of comma-separated file

Dear All, I have a comma-separated file. 1. The first line of the file(header) should have 4 commas(5 fields). 2. The last line of the file should have 1 comma(2 fields). Pls help me in checking this condition in a shell script. And the number of lines between the first line and last... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: KrishnaSaran
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sum up a decimal column in a tab separated text file and error handling

Hi, I have a small requirement where i need to sum up a column in a text file. Input file 66ab 000000 534385 -00000106350.00 66cd 000000 534485 -00013364511.00 66ad 000000 534485 -00000426548.00 672a 000000 534485 000000650339.82... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two columns separated by a tab

witam potrzebuje polecenia porownujacego koumny na podstawie n-ostatnich znakow danej linnijki tj mam 2 koumny AiB zawierajace ciag dowolnych znakow (dlugosci w kazdej linijce mga byc rozne wiec uzycie substra odpada) A B ewewewabc nbgujnnabc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Toudi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert a tab separated file using bash

Dear all, I have a file in this format (like a matrix) - A B C .. X A 1 4 2 .. 2 B 2 6 4 .. 8 C 3 5 5 .. 4 . . . ... . X . . ... . and want to convert it into a file with this format: A A = 1 A B = 4 A C = 2 ... A X = 2 B A = 2 B B = 6 etc (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tab-separated file to matrix conversion

hello all, i have an input file like that A A X0 A B X1 A C X2 ... A Z Xx B A X1 B B X3 .... Z A Xx Z B X4 and i want to have an output like that A B C D A X0 X1 X2 Xy B X1 X3 X4 (4 Replies)
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filling a tab-separated file with known missing entries in columns

Hello all, I have a file which is tab separated like that: PHE_205_A TIP_127_W ARG_150_B MET_1150_A TIP_12_W VAL_11_B GLU_60_A TIP_130_W ARG_143_B LEU_1033_A TIP_203_W ARG_14_B SER_1092_A TIP_203_W THR_1090_A TIP_203_W SER_1092_A TIP_25_W ... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with a tab separated file

Hi, I have created a tab separated file from the following input file. ADDRESS1 CITY STATE POSTAL COUNTRY LON LAT 32 PRINZREGENTENSTRASSE ROSENHEIM BAYERN 83022 DEU 1212182 4785699 263 VIA DANTE ALIGHIERI BARI PUGLIA 70122 ITA 1686233 4112154 30 VIA MILANO ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace & with and in tab separated file?

Hi, I have a tab separated. I want to replace all the "&" in 8th column of the file with "and" .I am trying with awk -F, -vOFS=\\t '{$8=($8=="&")?"and":$8}1' test> test1.txt My file is abc def ghk hjk lkm hgb jkluy acvf & bhj hihuhu fgg me mine he her go went has has & had hgf hgy ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a tab separated file with empty column

Hi all, I'm trying to read a tab separated file and apply some functions on each column. I have an issue with empty column. Exemple: $ #cat with the sed to allow you to see my tab $ cat foo.txt| sed 's/\t/;/g' a;1;x b;;yI wanted to something like that: while read col1 col2 col3 do ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maturix
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to parse current and next row in tab-delimited file

Hi there, I would like to use awk to reformat a tab-delimited file containing three columns as follows: Data file: sample 1 173 sample 269 530 sample 687 733 sample 1699 1779 Desired output file: sample 174..265, 531..686, 734..1698 I need the value... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: emiley
5 Replies
dtfits(1)						      General Commands Manual							 dtfits(1)

NAME
dtfits - display FITS table SYNOPSIS
dtfits <table> DESCRIPTION
dtfits dumps the contents of a FITS table in an ASCII format, either into a user-specified file or on stdout. The output is formatted on a fixed number of columns to make it readable by human beings. Additional informations are printed out before the table values are dumped, these informations can be skipped by using the -d option. Last, if you want to dump the table into an easily parsable format (for a piece of software), you might want to use the -s option which specifies a character to use as separator. All data fields will be printed out separated by this character only. This allows to use string parsers to cut down the output lines into tokens by looking for this separator. Fields (lines) will still be delimited by the end-of-line character. This option produces ASCII tables which are easy to parse for a piece of software but mostly unreadable to human beings. Notice that dtfits only accepts one single FITS table in input. OPTIONS
-d Skip information output about the table and column names. Outputs only the table values. Beware that if the FITS file contains sev- eral extensions, they will all appear one after another, separated only by two blank lines. In that case, it would be preferrable to keep the complete output and parse out the returned stream to differentiate which data come from where. -s <char> Use the character <char> as separator in output. This option is useful if you want to produce a table that should be parsed by a piece of software (see above description). The separator can only be a single non-null character. To avoid special characters being interpreted by the shell, it is recommended to provide this character always between simple or double quotes. Example: dtfits -s '&' table.tfits If you want to use a special character as separator, such as a tab, use ^V to insert your character, such as: dtfits -s '^V<TAB>' table.tfits which means: you type CTRL-V and then the tab key. SEE ALSO
dfits FILES
FITS tables are stored into extensions. If there are several tables in a file, they will all be displayed one after another in the same output stream. 22 Dec 1999 dtfits(1)