Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ld_library_path & path
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Ld_library_path & path Post 302321983 by amitranjansahu on Tuesday 2nd of June 2009 01:06:57 PM
Old 06-02-2009
The PATH is where your os will search your default executables.

or defination

Program files (executables) are kept in many different places on the Unix system. Your path tells the Unix shell where to look on the system when you request a particular program.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is where your dinamically stripped executable files will search the lib files they require to startup.

Or another def
environment variable tells the shell on Solaris systems which directories to search for client or shared Informix general libraries. You must specify the directory that contains your client libraries before you can use the product.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ld_library_path

Hi, can anyone explain this terrm? should we setup it ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccp
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find & copy files with absolute path

hi all, can i get script find file & copy that file with path for an example sourse : /home/abc/ destination : /home/backup/ files which need to find : tmp* copy these files with its absolute path inside like :- /home/abc/x/y/z/tmp.txt to /home/backup/date/x/y/z/tmp.txt thanks in... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagnikam
15 Replies

3. HP-UX

SHLIB_PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH

hi Im using HP-UX 11i,PARISC .... Where do i find SHLIB_PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH , i couldnt find in env, listing...... Moreover im trying to execute file its throwing me error usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't find path for shared library: libgcc_s.sl /usr/lib/dld.sl: No such file or directory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanthan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to list files with path & date in a folder

Hi, I need command to display files with full path and date of files where are generated at every 5hrs in a folder. eg: /u01/app/test/orjthsd_1_1 Sun May 10 19:03:26 2009 /u01/app/test/weoiusd_1_1 Sun May 10 21:00:26 2009 thanks saha (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saha
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unzip & Env Path Name

I need to download team foundation server on Unix (4 simple instructions below), but I am stuck.. I am newbie Unix user, so please be patient. -cd /home/Myname/Downloads, Unzip -Unzipped to /home/Myname/DestFolder -cd DestFolder, type tf -help, works there - outside this folder, doesn't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: software2007
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Readin document & creating path

Need a way to read a file in who every line is a path to a directory and make shortcut to that directory on a specific place. Example: line in the document /media/gogo/6651-FEAB/Desktop/ /media/gogo/6651-FEAB/Desktop/alex/ /media/gogo/6651-FEAB/linux/ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogok_bg
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ld_library_path

Hi., Currently my LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting is, LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/app/product/11.2.0/client_1/lib Now, I need to append the JAVA to this setting... Can I set this way, Please suggest. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuthakki
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Long PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, LIBPATH, … – what kind of performance impact do they have?

Hi, there! a long PATH... makes the OS access the disk quite often, hence there is a lot of disk I/O a long PATH... makes the OS compute a lot of ..., hence a high CPU load (Edited/added later: Yes, this is not about the lenght of the env. var., but about the number of directories listed.)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jochen_Hayek
1 Replies

9. Programming

Boost library path for cmake & make

I was compiling a downloaded open source pkg. Following the install instruction, I did $ mkdir build; cd build; cmake ../; make but got error message:make: *** No rule to make target 'usr/lib64/lib64/libboost_graph-mt.so.5'. needed by ../bin.gam-create. stop make: *** Error 2 make: *** Error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yifangt
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert NAS URL to Physical Path & visa-versa

sometime the user gives me the Linux NAS path URL which is accessible usings windows explorer like below: This URL translates to the below physical path on Linux host Below is what I wish to achieve: 1. Detect if the path provided is NAS URL starting with "\" or a Physical Linux path... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies
chroot(1M)																chroot(1M)

NAME
chroot - change root directory for a command SYNOPSIS
newroot command DESCRIPTION
The command executes command relative to the newroot. The meaning of any initial slashes in path names is changed for command and any of its children to newroot. Furthermore, the initial working directory is newroot. Note that command suffixes that affect input or output for the command use the original root, not the new root. For example, the command: locates file relative to the original root, not the new one. The command variable includes both the command name and any arguments. The new root path name is always relative to the current root. Even if a is currently in effect, the newroot argument is relative to the current root of the running process. This command is restricted to users with appropriate privileges. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multibyte character code sets are supported. WARNINGS
command cannot be in a shell script. Exercise extreme caution when referring to special files in the new root file system. does not search the environment variable for the location of command, so the absolute path name of command must be given. When using to establish a new environment, all absolute path name references to the file system are lost, rendering shared libraries inac- cessible. If continued access to shared libraries is needed for correct operation, the shared libraries and the dynamic loader be copied into the new root environment. SEE ALSO
chdir(2), chroot(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
chroot(1M)