Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Developing own shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Developing own shell Post 302321894 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 2nd of June 2009 10:36:05 AM
Old 06-02-2009
This is often a third year project assignment in college. We do not allow homework here.
If you want to develop your own shell there is a step by step book on how to do it -
'Linux Application Development' by Johnson & Troan.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Developing a new command line interface

Hi, Is there any good/easy tool or library which assists in developing a command line interface for an application. The CLI should be able to provide custom commands, allow programming/scripting as well. For the latter case it could wrap a shell command and send it to BASH for processing. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redirect
2 Replies

2. Programming

Developing Open Source tools

Hi Gurus, I am very much interested in developing and publishing a small piece of open source code which would be the best place to start off. I am just a beginner in unix ,c. Please provide me some suggestions. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ennstate
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can you help me regarding developing script?

Hi All, I want to develope this script. any help will be appreciated. It is possible to use two pipes and create two-way communication between two processes. (In practice, this is not done because sockets are available.) Create a program where the parent process reads the name of a language... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishalpatel03
2 Replies

4. Programming

Help required in developing an Editor.

Hi, I wish to develop a editor of my own. My idea is using 100% C programming Linked list as the Data structure GNU/Linux as the compiling environment ncurses utility for screen Many of might have wrote a editor in your college itself as a project. But I am from non IT background.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

developing a Kernel for old old Unix?

Hello all , My father has been running the last version of unix before all the liscensing began 20 or so years ago. In his particular field his programmer has written a great deal of software to work with this version. Emulating so newer computers could speak to the unix server as well. Im sure... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bill78
6 Replies

6. Web Development

vBulletin: The Secret to Developing vB Plugins

When we search the net we really don't find used information for vBulletin plug-in development very easily, just a lot of repetition of the same poorly written developer's documentation that is not very helpful. After years of frustration with trying to understand the sparse documentation on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in developing an awk code

#!/bin/ksh set -x FILENAME=$1 #To calculate debit and credit DEBIT=`awk -F, '{value=$28 ;if(value<0) {debit+=value}} END {print debit}' $FILENAME` CREDIT=`awk -F, '{value=$28 ;if(value>0) {credit+=value}} END {print credit}' $FILENAME` #This part is not working since the debit value is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help for developing script

I want to develop a unix script. Scenario:A folder is containing many text files and there is one text file eg. test.csv which is having 2 words at line 1 & line 2.The script should search for word at line 1 in test.csv file in all other text file present in folder & replace it with word at line 2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna Cardoz
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with approach and developing script

Hi- I need to develop a script for following scenario in AIX and K shell environment.I am from windows server background for most my career ,so please bear with me and advise suitable approach and technical assistance.Having said that I am aware of unix shell commands but never pput together at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nirasm
1 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Developing Applications for UNIX.COM

A number of people have asked me about the best way to develop some cool new web app for UNIX.COM. In today's "very easy web dev" world, developers do not need to be burdened (like I am) to the "back end" of the site. The best way to develop web apps is to build the application on your desktop... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)