Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep and count the string in a file. Post 302321855 by vikram2008 on Tuesday 2nd of June 2009 08:47:53 AM
Old 06-02-2009
I appreciate your response ...Smilie

I am not lazy bro Smilie..i am searching whatever i can .. i temporarly got what i want but i want get it done through proper script ..
right now i have used

cat /path/*filename* |grep 200810 |grep XYZ |wc -l Smilie

but its not getting the compressed files count and i have to maunaly copy this date in notepad..

if i could get the count, month from a single command line it would be great ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and count no of occurences in every line of a file

Hi Folks, I have a input file of the below format. ~~~OLKIT~OLKIT~1~~TBD~BEST PAGER & WIRELESS~4899 COMMON MARKET PLACE~~~DUBLIN~KS~43016~I~Y~DIRECT~D~~0 BPGRWRLS~~~OLKIT~OLKIT~1~~TBD~BEST PAGER & WIRELESS~4899 COMMON MARKET PLACE~~~DUBLIN~KS~43016~I~Y~DIRECT~D~~0... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthgr1
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse file from remote server to calculate count of string existence in that file

Hi I need to parse the file of same name which exist on different servers and calculate the count of string existed in both files. Say a file abc.log exist on 2 servers. I want to search for string "test" on both files and calculate the total count of search string's existence. For... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: poweroflinux
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep string from logs of last 1 hour on files of 2 different servers and calculate count

Hi, I am trying to grep a particular string from the files of 2 different servers without copying and calculate the total count of its occurence on both files. File structure is same on both servers and for reference as follows: 27-Aug-2010... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: poweroflinux
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive find / grep within a file / count of a string

Hi All, This is the first time I have posted to this forum so please bear with me. Thanks also advance for any help or guidance. For a project I need to do the following. 1. There are multiple files in multiple locations so I need to find them and the location. So I had planned to use... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Charlie6742
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep string in files and list file names that contain the string

Hi, I have a list of zipped files. I want to grep for a string in all files and get a list of file names that contain the string. But without unzipping them before that, more like using something like gzcat. My OS is: SunOS test 5.10 Generic_142900-13 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string and count following lines starting with another string

I have a large dataset with following structure; C 0001 Carbon D SAR001 methane D SAR002 ethane D SAR003 propane D SAR004 butane D SAR005 pentane C 0002 Hydrogen C 0003 Nitrogen C 0004 Oxygen D SAR011 ozone D SAR012 super oxide C 0005 Sulphur D SAR013... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syeda Sumayya
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep pattern file and count occurances

Guys I am trying grep to read from pattern file and count occurances of each word. input is firstplace secondplace secondpot patternfile is place first second i want the following. 1-count number of times keywords in patternfile occurs in begining of each line in input file. so... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahfze
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
NNSTATS(1m)															       NNSTATS(1m)

NAME
nnstats - display nnmaster collection and expire statistics SYNOPSIS
nnstats [ -lt ] [ -d month day ] [ -m month ] [ logfile ]... DESCRIPTION
nnstats will extract the collection (C) and expiration (X) entries from the log file and calculate total and average number of articles, groups and elapsed time per day, per month, or for the duration of the whole log file. Normally only a summary for the specified period is printed. If -l is specified, the statistics for each day in the period is also printed, and if -t is specified the summary is not printed. Normally the statistics is collected for all days in the log files (or the current log file if one is not specified). If "-m month" is specified, the statistics for that month is calculated. The month is specified in normal date notation, i.e. a capital- ized three letter abbreviation like Jan, Feb, ... If "-d month day" is specified, the statistics for that date only is calculated and printed. FILES
../Log The log file SEE ALSO
nn(1), nnusage(1M), nnadmin(1M), nnmaster(8) NOTES
If nnmaster is run with options -LCX, nnstats will not work, because the necessary entries are not written to the log file. AUTHORS
Mark Moraes <moraes@csri.toronto.edu> Kim F. Storm <storm@texas.dk> 4th Berkeley Distribution Release 6.6 NNSTATS(1m)