Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Implementing Ctrl +C in a script as a part of automation Post 302321793 by bhaskar_m on Tuesday 2nd of June 2009 06:18:09 AM
Old 06-02-2009
Implementing Ctrl +C in a script as a part of automation

Hi,

I am working on Solaris SPARC where we used start the BEA WebLogic Server for some project module. The server is started very simply by changing to its home directory and starting the script called ./startWebLogic.sh. Upto this no big deal.
Once the server get started and comes to runnning mode , the console output is remained. The Shell prompt "-bash-3.00$" does not return. Manually we type Ctrl+C and return to Bash prompt. But know it is the time time to automate the server start, i.e. A script will be doing all stuffs it will change to the home directory and start the server, but problem persists as it does not comes to bash promt after starting the server the script goes on executing it never comes to a halt as matter of fact we are not able to check its execution status. If we run that script with any CI tool say , Hudson it goes on building never stops. we have tried to make it as a back ground process. It did not work. I am not in favor of killing the process as it might affect server functionality. Can we implement the "Ctrl + C" like thing in command that after starting the server it automatically comes to a halt? Waiting for your suggestion. Thanks to all in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script ctrl+c

How do you make a script so the user can not press ctrl+c and break out of the script? Thanks, :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtounix
1 Replies

2. AIX

Disable ctrl-c,ctrl-d,ctrl-d in ksh script

I wrote a ksh script for Helpdesk. I need to know how to disable ctrl-c,ctrl-z,ctrl-d..... so that helpdesk would not be able to get to system prompt :confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtofu
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ctrl-C or Ctrl-Z causing exit the session

H! I have written script where it need to invoke the perl script in background, then write the pid in temp file then bring back the job to foreground. whenever the Ctrl-C or Ctrl-Z is pressed in the script has to exit and prompt should be dispalyed. but this script causing exit from shell session... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jramesh1
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ctrl-c in script

how to send ctrl-c signal in scripts ??? i am executing top command in .exp script top command gives cpu running activities on your machine eg # top top - 18:41:01 up 8:38, 5 users, load average: 0.03, 0.16, 0.16 Tasks: 172 total, 1 running, 170 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexzander18
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle CTRL+Z or CTRL+C in shells script?

Hi, while executing shell script, in the middle of the process, if we kill the shell script( ctrl+z or ctrl+c), script will be killed and the files which using for the script will be in the folder. How to handle those scenarios. Is there any possibilities, if user breaks the script, I need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckchelladurai
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ctrl-V + Ctrl-J for newline character does not work inside vi editor

Hi friends, I am trying to add a newline char ('\n') between the query and the commit statement in the following shell script. #! /bin/sh echo "select * from tab; commit;" > data.sql I have tried typing in "Ctrl-V + Ctrl-J" combination which has inserted ^@ (NUL) character but the commit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with implementing available memory status script

hi , i want write the script which automatically send an alert mail to my mail id when there is low memory available. things which i am able to implement -: i got the output of current memory status into one file . Than i break down the required coloumn and again send it in another file. My... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhinav dixit
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automation of keyboard inputs..like Ctrl+d and Ctrl+a

Hi..! I'm stuck with my automation of starting a process and keeping it running even after the current ssh session has exited.. So i'm trying to use command 'screen'. which is doing exactly what i wanted, But the problem is automation of the same. i will have to press Ctrl+a and Ctrl+d for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandana hs
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help implementing a timout in my Shell Script for RHEL6

Hey Guys, My problem: I have a script that will be querying the database every minute to see if it gets a response, the response its querying for is "UP" in a table i made called dbup in the database. Now, I am trying to add the component to implement a timeout if the script does not get a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mo_VERTICASQL
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with delaying script and implementing checks before completion

Hello everyone, I was wondering if any of you could help me with this. I am an absolute beginner and don't know how to program, but I can follow a tutorial and tweak code sometimes. My understanding of programing is limitted to what for and while loops do, and how if then else logic works. That... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomeurp
2 Replies
XINIT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  XINIT(1)

NAME
xinit - X Window System initializer SYNOPSIS
xinit [ [ client ] options ... ] [ -- [ server ] [ display ] options ... ] DESCRIPTION
The xinit program is used to start the X Window System server and a first client program on systems that are not using a display manager such as xdm(1) or in environments that use multiple window systems. When this first client exits, xinit will kill the X server and then terminate. If no specific client program is given on the command line, xinit will look for a file in the user's home directory called .xinitrc to run as a shell script to start up client programs. If no such file exists, xinit will use the following as a default: xterm -geometry +1+1 -n login -display :0 If no specific server program is given on the command line, xinit will look for a file in the user's home directory called .xserverrc to run as a shell script to start up the server. If no such file exists, xinit will use the following as a default: X :0 Note that this assumes that there is a program named X in the current search path. The site administrator should, therefore, make a link to the appropriate type of server on the machine, or create a shell script that runs xinit with the appropriate server. Note, when using a .xserverrc script be sure to ``exec'' the real X server. Failing to do this can make the X server slow to start and exit. For example: exec Xdisplaytype An important point is that programs which are run by .xinitrc should be run in the background if they do not exit right away, so that they don't prevent other programs from starting up. However, the last long-lived program started (usually a window manager or terminal emula- tor) should be left in the foreground so that the script won't exit (which indicates that the user is done and that xinit should exit). An alternate client and/or server may be specified on the command line. The desired client program and its arguments should be given as the first command line arguments to xinit. To specify a particular server command line, append a double dash (--) to the xinit command line (after any client and arguments) followed by the desired server command. Both the client program name and the server program name must begin with a slash (/) or a period (.). Otherwise, they are treated as an arguments to be appended to their respective startup lines. This makes it possible to add arguments (for example, foreground and back- ground colors) without having to retype the whole command line. If an explicit server name is not given and the first argument following the double dash (--) is a colon followed by a digit, xinit will use that number as the display number instead of zero. All remaining arguments are appended to the server command line. EXAMPLES
Below are several examples of how command line arguments in xinit are used. xinit This will start up a server named X and run the user's .xinitrc, if it exists, or else start an xterm. xinit -- /usr/local/bin/Xvnc :1 This is how one could start a specific type of server on an alternate display. xinit -geometry =80x65+10+10 -fn 8x13 -j -fg white -bg navy This will start up a server named X, and will append the given arguments to the default xterm command. It will ignore .xinitrc. xinit -e widgets -- ./Xorg -l -c This will use the command .Xorg -l -c to start the server and will append the arguments -e widgets to the default xterm command. xinit /usr/ucb/rsh fasthost cpupig -display ws:1 -- :1 -a 2 -t 5 This will start a server named X on display 1 with the arguments -a 2 -t 5. It will then start a remote shell on the machine fasthost in which it will run the command cpupig, telling it to display back on the local workstation. Below is a sample .xinitrc that starts a clock, several terminals, and leaves the window manager running as the ``last'' application. Assuming that the window manager has been configured properly, the user then chooses the ``Exit'' menu item to shut down X. xrdb -load $HOME/.Xresources xsetroot -solid gray & xclock -g 50x50-0+0 -bw 0 & xload -g 50x50-50+0 -bw 0 & xterm -g 80x24+0+0 & xterm -g 80x24+0-0 & twm Sites that want to create a common startup environment could simply create a default .xinitrc that references a site-wide startup file: #!/bin/sh . /usr/local/lib/site.xinitrc Another approach is to write a script that starts xinit with a specific shell script. Such scripts are usually named x11, xstart, or startx and are a convenient way to provide a simple interface for novice users: #!/bin/sh xinit /usr/local/lib/site.xinitrc -- /usr/bin/X -br ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
DISPLAY This variable gets set to the name of the display to which clients should connect. XINITRC This variable specifies an init file containing shell commands to start up the initial windows. By default, .xinitrc in the home directory will be used. FILES
.xinitrc default client script xterm client to run if .xinitrc does not exist .xserverrc default server script X server to run if .xserverrc does not exist SEE ALSO
X(7), startx(1), Xserver(1), Xorg(1), xorg.conf(5), xterm(1) AUTHOR
Bob Scheifler, MIT Laboratory for Computer Science X Version 11 xinit 1.3.2 XINIT(1)