Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming dynamic allocation vs static allocation in c Post 302321624 by Corona688 on Monday 1st of June 2009 06:15:54 PM
Old 06-01-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
The size of the executable will generally be smaller with dynamic memory allocation.
Does that include stack allocation as in the example? Didn't think it had to put that in any data segment the way it would with globals.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

memory allocation

I would like to know how I could allocate some more memory to a process. Please note that I am not the root user. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagar
1 Replies

2. Programming

Static variables memory allocation

Hi I want to know when and where memory for static variables are allocated in a C program. If it allocates during compilation will memory be allocated for the variable "i" during compilation itself. int count(); int main(){ printf("%d", count()); return 0; } int count() { ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathanmca
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HOw to get a variable allocation

HI Gurus, I had a requirement where i want to allocate a file name into a variable and get the file name in the subj of email. Suppose i have a file File002.pdx in the folder /home/pcs/system/files/File002.pdx Iam using a variable a = `ls /home/pcs/system/files/*.pdx` Iam using *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
2 Replies

4. Programming

Dynamic memory allocation

Hi, I am trying to process line by line of a file. But I should not be allocating static allocation for reading the contents of the file. The memory should be dynamically allocated. The confusion here is how do I determine the size of each line, put it into a buffer with the memory allocated... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
11 Replies

5. Programming

array dynamic allocation

Hi, I have the following problem: i must allocate a dynamic array from a subroutine which should return such array to main function. The subroutine has already a return parameter so i thought of pass the array as I/O parameter. I tried the following program but it doesn't work (segmentation... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
11 Replies

6. Programming

global variables and dynamic allocation

Hi, is it possible in C to allocate dynamically a global variable?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
3 Replies

7. Programming

Memory allocation in C

Hi Experts I need some help in static memory allocation in C. I have a program in which I declared 2 variables, one char array and one integer. I was little surprised to see the addresses of the variables. First: int x; char a; printf("%u %u\n', &x, a); I got the addresses displayed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx_freak
2 Replies

8. Programming

Dynamic Memory Allocation

Hello Guys I have a small confusion in the dynamic memory allocation concept. If we declare a pointer say a char pointer, we need to allocate adequate memory space. char* str = (char*)malloc(20*sizeof(char)); str = "This is a string"; But this will also work. char* str = "This... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tene
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Block-based allocation and Extent-based allocation in Solaris

Hi guys! Could you tell me what's this figure about? (See the attached figure below.) This is a representation of block allocation filesystem and extent allocation filesystem in Solaris. Does this mean that in a block-based allocation, data are placed in individual blocks while in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arah
0 Replies

10. Programming

Memory Allocation Query

When we dynamically allocate the memory say 100 integers say int *x = new int(1000); then does entire chunk of memory gets allocated at once after the completion of the statement? I mean will the the concept of page fault come into picture over here? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
3 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)