Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script Pause Until Rsync Is Done Transferring Post 302321589 by d.f. on Monday 1st of June 2009 03:38:19 PM
Old 06-01-2009
If I understand this correctly, you're looking for a way to make sure that the rsync completes successfully before moving on to the rest of your script. bash would allow you to do this with the '&&' operator (in this case rsync is command1 ):

Code:
command1 && command2

From the bash man page, "command2 is executed if, and only if, command1 returns an exit status of zero."

So, something you might be able to use would be :

Code:
rsync -options file.xx remotehost:/path/to/store && rm file.xx

The gotcha here is that rsync can fail for a couple different reasons and if it does, the second command would not execute.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pause a shell script

Hi, I've written a shell script to take photos with my camera. After every picture taken, the picture is transmitted to the computer via usb and then deleted on the camera. But sometimes there's an error and the picture is not deleted and so, after a certain time, the camera chip will be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: McLennon
4 Replies

2. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

rsync transferring multiple files issue

Hi, I want to specify multiple remote directories but want to transfer them in a single command with one connection with remote server. This avoids entering passwords repeatedly and is also efficient. e.g. rsync -vrt --size-only --delete user@host:/home/user1/dir1... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sardare
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pause for remote computing in Telnet script

I am running a telnet script that connects to a database server and executes sql scripts. While the remote database is processing the commands within the sql scripts, my telnet script continues to send commands. Okay, that's fine. They get queued up in the remote server and executed sequentially.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldjuke
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pause shell script till folder doesn't change size anymore

Hi, I recently would like to write a shell script that 1. Runs in the background (can be done with "&", but i'd be happy for other solutions to keep programs running) 2. Does its stuff 3 THEN checks a specified folder for a size change over time (say, each 5 seconds. AND ONLY continues with... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for transferring files

Hi Guys, I have to transfer a few files in my system . The commands to be used are as follows . Will it be possible to send the output of the following in the form of a mail . cd /export/home/teja ls -lrt Quote.java* mv Quote.java Quote.java.20121023 cp /tmp/Quote.java . ls -lrt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi_Teja
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script for transferring bulk files from one format to text format

"Help Me" Need script for transferring bulk files from one format to text format in a unix server. Please suggest (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kranthi Kumar
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to have my ksh script pause, until something appears in the logs.?

All, Is there some way to have my KSH script pause, until the word "DONE!" appears in the logfile /logs/log.txt? Difficulty: The word "DONE!" may already be present in logs from the past. So I anticipate tail -0f may (somehow?) need to be done in the background, instead of grepping in a... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatguy
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a script requiring a pause for user input

Hi I'm trying to create a basic script that pauses for user input to verify a file name before generating the output. I have numerous SSL certificate files which I am trying to determine the expiry date so what I'm trying to do is write a script so that is pauses to request the name of the .pem... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Buddyluv
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can we overcome Broken pipe error during scp,SFTP,Rsync while transferring big files.?

Hello All, Hope all are doing well. We use scp (some times sftp and rsync also) for transferring big files (around 2GB each ) from 1 Network to another Network. The Issues which we face :- During transfer some times( Once in 1 week (or twice)) , the speed of transfer gets down to 30 kb/s,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Upendra Bhushan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync Error: rsync: link_stat failed: No such file or directory (2)

I wish to copy all the files & folder under /web/Transfer_Files/data/ on mymac1 (Linux) to remote server mybank.intra.com (Solaris 10) /tmp/ location I am using Ansible tool synchronize module which triggers the unix rsync command as below:rsync --delay-updates -F --compress --archive --rsh=ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
dtc-xen_migrate(8)					      System Manager's Manual						dtc-xen_migrate(8)

NAME
dtc-xen_migrate - migrate a VPS to another Xen server SYNOPSIS
LOCAL_VPS_ID DESTINATION_HOSTNAME [ DEST_VPS_ID ] DESCRIPTION
dtc-xen_migrate This shell script is a part of the dtc-xen package that is to be used by the dtc panel to manage a Xen VPS server. Note that you need rsync in both the source and the destination dom0. This script is used to move the content of a Xen virtual machine (VM) managed with dtc-xen to another Xen server of the same type. The VM destination will first be prepared, then the local VM will be shut down, then it's content will be transfered over using rsync. Note that this is NOT a live migration, and down time of approximatively the time needed for the rsync will occure. PARAMETERS
LOCAL_VPS_ID The DTC-Xen id of the VM, from 00 to 99. DESTINATION_HOSTNAME Destination Xen server hostname to migrate to. DEST_VPS_ID Destination DTC-Xen id of the VM, from 00 to 99. EXAMPLE
dtc-xen_migrate 19 alpha.example.com 21 This will migrate the content of xen19 on the local machine to the destination server alpha.example.com using xen21 as VM name. SEE ALSO
dtc_reinstall_os(8), dtc_kill_vps_disk(8) dtc-xen_migrate(8)