Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: @ sign in permissions?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers @ sign in permissions? Post 302321579 by aaronstella on Monday 1st of June 2009 01:59:10 PM
Old 06-01-2009
@ sign in permissions?

I am using Mac OS X version 10.5.7, and had a problem accessing a folder on our shared area network. I logged in via terminal (bash shell), and did a ls -l on the main directory, and the directory that isn't showing up has an @ sign at the end:

rwxr-xr-x@ 19 admin staff 2048 Jun 1 07:53 Users

I cannot find what the @ sign means anywhere nor how to change it. I am thinking maybe it accidentally got set to a hidden or system directory? The permissions are controlled via ACL and Apple XSAN 1.4

Any help would be appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of % sign

Does % sign have any impact, special meaning in unix shell scripts ??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sokash
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sign on/Sign off logging script

I'd like to make a script that I can execute every time I sign on to my linux box that keeps track of the time and allows to me to add a remark to a file. So basically once I log in, I run the script, and it outputs the date and time to a text file (log.txt). But that isn't my problem. I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glider
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

minus sign

why a minus sign is put for options in unix commands suggestions plz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Euro Sign and some other chars

First of all hello, this is my first post here. :) I have a problem with displaying the euro sign and two other characters from the ISO8859-7 greek set (the drachma sign and the ipogegrameni) in the UNIX platform. Either when I type them normally or if i try to read a text file with some of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavlos87
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what the %s does percent sign-s mean?

context: while reading tutorial on the read command, one of the first examples, demonstrating its use, follows as such: $ x=abc ; printf "x is now '%s'. Enter new value: " $x ; read x generating this output: x is now 'abc'. Enter new value: first, what does %s represent? I know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProGrammar
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count value between | sign

Hi I have a file inw which values are seperated by "|" I want to count number of values present in each line of the file Input file AS|23 34|BD|A2|890 AK|23 44|D|A2|89076|89 AF|23 34|BD|A2|8 Result 5 6 5 there are 5 values inside | sign hence o/p will be 5 similarly in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep $ sign help?

hi so I was debugging some scripts and I ran into a problem that did not come up before grep -n "$variable"$ ./file.txt I figured the second $ is meant to reference the end of the line but this gave me trouble in my c shell. anyone know whats wrong here or how to rewrite this??? Thank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vas28r13
2 Replies

8. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Unable to sign in

I am unable to sign in to the UNIX forum. I tried my username "timotei2" and the password - but access was denied. My email address - <removed> - was not recognised, either. This is strange as I registered some years back. Should I re-register, or can nyou re-set my log in credentials? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Unregistered
1 Replies

9. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Sign in issues

I tried logging in under my username (Michael Mullig) but as it's been a while I've forgotten my password. None of my email addresses are recognized either. Thinking that my username my have been purged due to lack of activity (understandable) I tried to re-register, only to find the name is still... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike Mullig
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable has value with = or == sign

I have a script which is reading value from property file and doing replacement in source location which contains multiple files. property file has values abc=xyz; yux=1;version=3.0; bcd=123;apple==mango when my script does search and reads value from property file. its replacing value... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shamkamde
1 Replies
STRMODE(3)                                                 BSD Library Functions Manual                                                 STRMODE(3)

NAME
strmode -- convert inode status information into a symbolic string LIBRARY
Utility functions from BSD systems (libbsd, -lbsd) SYNOPSIS
#include <bsd/string.h> void strmode(mode_t mode, char *bp); DESCRIPTION
The strmode() function converts a file mode (the type and permission information associated with an inode, see stat(2)) into a symbolic string which is stored in the location referenced by bp. This stored string is eleven characters in length plus a trailing NUL. The first character is the inode type, and will be one of the following: - regular file b block special c character special d directory l symbolic link p fifo s socket w whiteout ? unknown inode type The next nine characters encode three sets of permissions, in three characters each. The first three characters are the permissions for the owner of the file, the second three for the group the file belongs to, and the third for the ``other'', or default, set of users. Permission checking is done as specifically as possible. If read permission is denied to the owner of a file in the first set of permis- sions, the owner of the file will not be able to read the file. This is true even if the owner is in the file's group and the group permis- sions allow reading or the ``other'' permissions allow reading. If the first character of the three character set is an ``r'', the file is readable for that set of users; if a dash ``-'', it is not read- able. If the second character of the three character set is a ``w'', the file is writable for that set of users; if a dash ``-'', it is not writable. The third character is the first of the following characters that apply: S If the character is part of the owner permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by the owner, and the set-user-id bit is set. S If the character is part of the group permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by the group, and the set-group-id bit is set. T If the character is part of the other permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by others, and the ``sticky'' (S_ISVTX) bit is set. s If the character is part of the owner permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by the owner, and the set- user-id bit is set. s If the character is part of the group permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by the group, and the set- group-id bit is set. t If the character is part of the other permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by others, and the ``sticky'' (S_ISVTX) bit is set. x The file is executable or the directory is searchable. - None of the above apply. The last character is a plus sign ``+'' if any there are any alternate or additional access control methods associated with the inode, other- wise it will be a space. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), find(1), stat(2), getmode(3), setmode(3) HISTORY
The strmode() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD July 28, 1994 BSD