Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk getline
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk getline Post 302321557 by garethsays on Monday 1st of June 2009 12:52:35 PM
Old 06-01-2009
awk getline

How do you make the getline function return to the original line?
The example below should make it clear where I am currently going wrong.

Thanks

AWK SCRIPT:
-------------
awk -F '-' '{
tmpLine = "EMPTY"
print "CURRENT LINE :"$0
getline tmpLine
print "NEXT LINE :"tmpLine
}' testawk.txt

testawk.txt
--------------
1-TEST-FILE-NEW
2-TEST-FILE-NEW
3-TEST-FILE-NEW
4-TEST-FILE-NEW
5-TEST-FILE-NEW
6-TEST-FILE-NEW
7-TEST-FILE-NEW

output:
-------
CURRENT LINE :1-TEST-FILE-NEW
NEXT LINE :2-TEST-FILE-NEW
CURRENT LINE :3-TEST-FILE-NEW
NEXT LINE :4-TEST-FILE-NEW
CURRENT LINE :5-TEST-FILE-NEW
NEXT LINE :6-TEST-FILE-NEW
CURRENT LINE :7-TEST-FILE-NEW
NEXT LINE : EMPTY

desired output
--------------
CURRENT LINE :1-TEST-FILE-NEW
NEXT LINE :2-TEST-FILE-NEW
CURRENT LINE :2-TEST-FILE-NEW
NEXT LINE :3-TEST-FILE-NEW
CURRENT LINE :3-TEST-FILE-NEW
NEXT LINE :4-TEST-FILE-NEW
CURRENT LINE :4-TEST-FILE-NEW
NEXT LINE :5-TEST-FILE-NEW
CURRENT LINE :5-TEST-FILE-NEW
NEXT LINE :6-TEST-FILE-NEW
CURRENT LINE :6-TEST-FILE-NEW
NEXT LINE :7-TEST-FILE-NEW
CURRENT LINE :7-TEST-FILE-NEW
NEXT LINE : EMPTY

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk:Problem with getline

$ echo |awk ' BEGIN {"date" | getline current_time;close("date");print "Report printed on " current_time}' Report printed on Thu May 11 14:57:29 METDST 2006 This example works fine but how can i print all the output when is longer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk getline help maybe?

hello collegues, I am attempting to use awk to search file1 (serverlist.csv) from each row with file2 (supported.txt). If the is no entry exists in serverlist then output to a file called notsupp.out if there is an entry output to supp.out I can do this with basic shell scripting however... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlawren
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and system getline

Hello, Need some help here. I have this script (test.sh): #!/bin/sh var=$1 (( var = 2 * var )) echo $var Now I want to call this script from awk with one argument and then capture the result in a variable, something like: echo 40 | awk ' { x = $1; "test.sh " x | getline y; print y }... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fbg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using getline in awk

I am using awk and want to use getline from a file like below getline x < file However file consists of two columns and I only want to store $2 Any way I can do this? ---------- Post updated at 06:54 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:45 AM ---------- Done something like this.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk getline question

Hi there, I have an ifconfig output and i want to write a script that determines whether there is a line "groupname ipmp" on a particular interface here is my example ifconfig -a output lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1 inet 127.0.0.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Some Awk Getline help?

Greetings, I have about 3000 files that I want to search. The first column in all of these 3000 files has a unique serial number on each line. The subsequent columns have lots of data. I have another masterfile with three columns to help me find all the data I need in a moments notice: col 1... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeeplou
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk getline t file

I want to import a textfile with getline into var t which has several lines. How do import all lines, since it only imports the last line: while < ((getline t "textfile") > 0) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk getline problem

Hello, I want to print out the DNA sequence entries (tens of thousand!) that are longer than certain value (i=200) from a file (FASTA file) as: >S94D_ctg_8004 Average coverage: 402.95 ATAATGCCTGTGAATATGACATGTGTTCCTGTTTCTACATCAGACTACTATTCTTGCATA... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk getline

Hi, I have an awk script with the following function in it . function cmd( c ) { while( ( c | getline foo) > 0 ){ return foo ; close( c ); } } c =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MetaMan
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk with if, getline, and another if

Howdy Folks, It seems like it is always awk that confuses the heck out of me and I even have books and examples. I have this line: awk '{if (/clientIP/)(SRV = $NF); if ($2 ~ /BUNDLE-GIM/) getline; if ($2 ~ /r100595/) {print SRV,"BUNDLE-GIM",$2}}' post.txt to parse this text: <api... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: port43
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)