Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Monitor capacity of directory Post 302321528 by cfajohnson on Monday 1st of June 2009 11:58:10 AM
Old 06-01-2009
Code:
alert=80
partition=/lcl/prd/apps/Tivoli/playground

df -hl "$partition" | {
 read ## discard header
 read fs size used available percent mount
 if [ ${percent%?} -gt $alert ]
 then
   host=$(hostname)
   date=$(date)
   fmt='Running out of space "%s (%s)" on %s as on %s\n'
   printf "$fmt" "$partition" "$percent" "$host" "$date" |
     mail -s "Alert: Almost out of disk space $usep" $ADMIN
 fi
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Monitor which users enter my home directory

Hi, I would like to monitor which users enter my home directory. Is it possible to write a script or code to do this. I donot have admin privileges. I have given read permissions to access my home directory. Any pointers in this direction is helpful! Thanks, Pradeep Ps: I use the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnpradeep
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hep with script to monitor directory

Hello, I am a newbie who is attempting to write a script to monitor a directory for a set of 3 files that I am expecting to get ftp'd. Occasionally, we suspend operations for maintenance etc. but we still get the files so there can be more than 1 set. If there is more than 1 set, I would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmf00186
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor directory

What is the best way for a script to run to monitor a directory for the presence of files and then perform a function afterwords? I was hoping to have it continually run and sleep until it detects that files are present in the directory, then break out of the loop and go on to the next step. ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: nulinux
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capacity of directory... Pulling hair out :-)

I am new to scripting and thought I was doing rather well however I ran into a issue and I am not sure how to fix it. I am using the following command to obtain the capacity percent of the directory listed however it seems that this command gets the capacity of the whole mount rather then just the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
8 Replies

5. AIX

monitor directory events

I'm am looking for a cheap way to trigger a script when a new file is written in a specific directory. AIX 5.3. It is a production system, so no kernel patching (i.e. inotify). Filemon and audtiing are too expensive. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbillast
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Monitor directory and email

Hello all, Can anyone please guide / help me in the following task.... I have a directory where some external users will upload pdf files. The filename of these pdf will be of a particular format (<id>-<first name>_<last name>_<some number>.pdf) I want to make a script such that it takes... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhawalkv
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory Monitor in KSh

Hi, I need to write a directory monitor, i.e. a korn shell script which would Report changes to the directory contents, like: added file1, deleted file2, updated file3 , created subdir (optional)... There is no specific file pattern. So far I have written a little script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: olegkon
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

howto monitor a directory for files then sftp them

Morning all I hope I have put this in the correct forum. I have a requirement to monitor a directory on a server for files being sftp'ed in and then to sftp them of to another server. The issues I have though of are making sure the files have completely transferred onto the server before they... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ltodd2
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

monitor(audit) and log changes inside directory

Hi, everyone I would like to write ksh script in ksh (HP-UX), to audit any changes inside target directories. My enviroment has many constrains, so I can only use ksh and cannot install any 3rd party soft or command (include perl or other languages) The script functions like below 1) take a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stev.h
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to monitor size in directory

i'm trying to find the most efficient way to monitor specific files in different directories in one go. /var/log/ /var/app/ /var/db/ each one of these directories can have subdirectories which need to be looked into as well. I want to find any file in this directory that has the name... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies
dkio(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   dkio(4)

Name
       dkio - disk interface

Syntax
       #include <sys/fs.h>
       #include <sys/ioctl.h>

Description
       This  section  describes  the ioctl (input/output controller) codes for all disk drivers.  The basic ioctl (input/output controller) format
       is:

#include <sys/fs.h>
       #include <sys/ioctl.h>
       ioctl(fildes, code, arg)
       struct pt *arg;

The applicable codes are:

DIOCGETPT       Indicates to the driver to store the information in the current partition table in the address pointed to by arg.  The file
		       descriptor must be opened on the raw partitions, a or c.

DIOCGETPT does not change the partition table, but it does provide access to the partition table information.

DIOCSETPT       Indicates to the driver to modify the current partition table with the information pointed to by arg.

The file descriptor must be opened on the raw partitions, a or c.

If  the a or c partition is not mounted, only the partition table in the driver is modified.  This temporarily modifies the
		       partition table of the disk.  The modifications are overwritten with the default table when the disk is turned off and on.

If the a or c partition is mounted, both the partition table  in  the  driver  and  the	partition  table  in  the  primary
		       superblock are modified.  This permanently modifies the partition table of the disk.  This is not recommended.  To change a
		       partition table permanently, use the command.

DIOCDGTPT       Indicates to the driver to store the default information of the current partition table in the address pointed to  by  arg.
		       The file descriptor must be opened on the raw partitions a or c.

DIOCGETPT does not change the partition table, but it does provide access to the partition table information.

DKIOCGET        Allows the user to receive generic disk information as defined in structdevget.

DKIOCACC        This code is defined in It is currently unused.

Restrictions
       These restrictions apply when using the DIOCSETPT ioctl code:

o   You must have superuser privileges.

o   You	cannot	shrink	or change the offset of a partition with a file system mounted on it or with an open file descriptor on the entire
	   partition.

o   You cannot change the offset of the a partition.

Examples
       This example shows how to use the DIOGETPT ioctl code to print the length and offset of the a partition of an RZ23 disk:
       #include <sys/types.h>
       #include <sys/param.h>
       #include <sys/fs.h>
       #include <sys/ioctl.h>

main()
       {
	    struct pt arg;
	    int fd, i;

/* Open the "a" partition of the disk you want to see */

if ( (fd = open("/dev/rz0a",0)) < 0 ) {
		 printf("Unable to open device
");
		 exit(2);
	    }

/* Get the partition information */

if ( ioctl(fd,DIOCGETPT,&arg) < 0 )
		 printf("Error in ioctl
");

printf("Length		Offset
");

for ( i = 0; i <= 7; i++ ) {
		 printf("%d		%d
",arg.pt_part[i].pi_nblocks,
			     arg.pt_part[i].pi_blkoff );
	    }
       }

Files
See Also
       rz(4), disktab(5), fstab(5), chpt(8), diskpart(8), fsck(8), MAKEDEV(8), mkfs(8), tunefs(8)

RISC								   dkio(4)