Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers replace string with a newline string Post 302321442 by shubhendu on Monday 1st of June 2009 07:35:01 AM
Old 06-01-2009
# sed 's/uid\
> uid/g' <file_name>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search, replace string in file1 with string from (lookup table) file2?

Hello: I have another question. Please consider the following two sample, tab-delimited files: File_1: Abf1 YKL112w Abf1 YAL054c Abf1 YGL234w Ace2 YKL150w Ace2 YNL328c Cup9 YDR441c Cup9 YDR442w Cup9 YEL040w ... File 2: ... ABF1 YKL112W ACE2 YLR131C (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gstuart
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string with newline

Hi all I have the problem to substitute a string with newline in Perl. Can anybody help me? And also how to replace a string with opening bracket (e.g. (START ) with a whitespace/null character? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace text string with a newline

I want to replace a text string with a newline. I have a long text file of random characters. I want to replace all the occurences of "pe" with a newline. How can I do that in Unix? There's a thread from 2004 saying that you can do something like this with sed by actually pressing the return... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aaronpoley
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed matching <tag1> newline spaces <tag2> and replace the value in the same string format

Hi, I'm very new to shell scripting and have searched google and this forum for quite some time now. I have the following in my xml file: <recipients> <member>value1</member> </recipients> I need to find a string <recipients> that follows with a new-line and bunch of spaces and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgharios
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace String With Newline

Hi, I'm struggling with a string replacement. I have an XML file which is in the following layout <FUNCTION> <PRODUCTS> <PRODUCT CODE="PRODUCE" ACTION="amend" VALIDATE="no"> <SUPPLIER PRODUCT="PRODUCT" ACTION="amend" CODE="SUPPLIER"> <STOCK_QUANTITY DATA="21"/> ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ste_Moore01
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace newline in a string

I have a string like below: {\rtf1\fbidis\ansi\deff0{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 MS Sans Serif;}{\f1\fnil MS Sans Serif;}} \viewkind4\uc1\pard\ltrpar\lang2057\f0\fs16 19/11/2010 SOME DESCRIPTION. \par \lang1033\f1\par } I have to replace the newline character with null in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace string including newline

Hi, I am trying to do some transformation on a large file and I am getting some troubles trying remove newlines only when the last character of a line is a symbol (in this case is a pipe "|"). I have tried with sed like this: sed -i 's/|\n/|/g' my_file or sed -i 's/|$/|/gg' my_file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngb
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search partial string in a file and replace the string - UNIX

I have the below string which i need to compare with a file and replace this string in the file which matches closely. Can anyone help me on this. string(Scenario 1)- user::r--,user::ourfrd:r-- String(Scenario 2)- user::r-- File **** # file: /local/Desktop/myfile # owner: me # group:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
6 Replies
getpw(3C)																 getpw(3C)

NAME
getpw() - get name from UID SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
searches the password file for a user ID number that equals uid, copies the line of the password file in which uid was found into the array pointed to by buf, and returns 0. returns non-zero if uid cannot be found. The line is null-terminated. This routine is included only for compatibility with prior systems, and should not be used; see getpwent(3C) for routines to use instead. NETWORKING FEATURES
NFS This routine is implemented using (see getpwent(3C)) and therefore uses the Network Information Service network database as described in passwd(4). RETURN VALUE
returns non-zero on error. WARNINGS
The above routine uses which causes it to increase, more than might be expected, the size of programs not otherwise using standard I/O. Obsolescent Interfaces is to be obsoleted at a future date. AUTHOR
was developed by AT&T and HP. FILES
/etc/passwd SEE ALSO
getpwent(3C), passwd(4), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
TO BE OBSOLETED getpw(3C)