Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Differentiate between MS Word and Excel files in Unix Post 302321403 by sysgate on Monday 1st of June 2009 04:10:54 AM
Old 06-01-2009
Hm... I just noticed that the 'file' utility does not make difference between Excel files and Word files - both are presented as "Microsoft Office Document". I'm out of suggestions but relying on the file's extension can also work, you can just warn the users to pay attention on file's names and especially extensions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Differentiate Between Files and Folders?

Hi All, I'm a rookie using HPUX and I know this is going to sound like a bonehead question, but when I list the contents of a directory, how can I determine which objects are files and which are folders? I'm using the ll and ls commands to lists the contents. So far I've been determining the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgower2
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Exporting files from unix to Excel sheet

How can we export a file in unix with certain number of columns to an excel sheet. It's very useful in time saving...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add multiple .csv files as sheets to an excel file in unix.

Hi, I am using Solaris 8. My script outputs 4 .csv files. Currently I am SFTPing the files and creating a new excel file with the 4 files as sheets. Can anyone suggest ways to do this in UNIX ? Thanks, David. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: libin4u2000
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple excel files processing on unix

Hi all, I am faced with a rather unusual problem regarding interaction between NT and UNIX. I am using an ETL (Extract-Transform-Load) tool on unix that has the capability to read .xls files. So, when I FTP an excel (.xls) file from a windows server to unix and attempt to read it with this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ucode_2482
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help Question about Excel Files and Unix

Hello I have an excel file , it has 4 tabs , each having specific details for example it has a customer tab , it has a payments tab and it has an address tab Question is How do I seperate each of these tabs and load them into 3 different excel files Using Unix That is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arnab1978
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to differentiate two tar files

Hi All, I am new to this unix stuff.I just have one doubt:suppose i have two tar files and sometimes it happens that when we just check these files from outside these two tar files look same "Eg: ls -lrt drw-r--r-- 1 oasis logadmin 37067 Apr 3 05:48 file1.tar drw-r--r-- 1 oasis ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: siri_14
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Code to get 5 unix files in 5 different tabs in a single excel

Hi All I need to put 5 different files from Unix box in 5 different tabs in a single excel. For this, I need to code only using Unix. Kindly help me on this. ---------- Post updated at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:24 AM ---------- Hi All I need to put 5 different... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: misssrinivasan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to differentiate between two machine in Unix?

how to differentiate between two machine in Unix,whether it is logged in from local machine or from Server( both may be 2 or more). Please help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpatel97
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to Merge contents of 2 different excel files in a single excel file

All, I have an excel sheet Excel1.xls that has some entries. I have one more excel sheet Excel2.xls that has entries only in those cells which are blank in Excel1.xls These may be in different workbooks. They are totally independent made by 2 different users. I have placed them in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anamika08
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differentiate 2 files name

Hello All, I have 2 Type of files. 1. MYTEST001_RKP_DORALDO_20150402120000.zip 2. CMP001_STD001_MOGANO_RPSL_20150409_C.zip I can receive these Two type of file at one location. If i receive second type of file CMP001_STD001_MOGANO_RPSL_20150409_C.zip I have to process without... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
9 Replies
Test::Excel::Template::Plus(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Test::Excel::Template::Plus(3pm)

NAME
Test::Excel::Template::Plus - Testing module for use with Excel::Template::Plus SYNOPSIS
use Test::More tests => 1; use Test::Excel::Template::Plus; my $template = Excel::Template::Plus->new( engine => 'TT', template => 'test.tmpl', config => { INCLUDE => [ '/templates' ] }, params => { ... } ); $template->write_file('test.xls'); # compare the file we just made with # an existing example file ... cmp_excel_files("test.xls", "t/xls/test.xls", '... the excel files matched'); DISCLAIMER
This module is woefully incomplete. It works for my very basic purposes right now, but it is surely going to need lots or work in the future to make it really usable. DESCRIPTION
This module attempts to provide a means of testing and comparing dynamically generated excel files. Currently it only supports comparing two excel files for some approximation of strutural (values within cells) and visual (formatting of said cells) equivalence. As a by product of the implementation, elements may get compared which don't really need comparing, and things which do need comparing may be skipped. This will get refined as time goes by and the module is used in more heavyweight situations. FUNCTIONS
cmp_excel_files($file1, $file2, $msg) BUGS
All complex software has bugs lurking in it, and this module is no exception. If you find a bug please either email me, or add the bug to cpan-RT. AUTHOR
Stevan Little <stevan@iinteractive.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2007-2010 by Infinity Interactive, Inc. <http://www.iinteractive.com> This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-06 Test::Excel::Template::Plus(3pm)