Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: GUI for Unix
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting GUI for Unix Post 302321198 by repinementer on Sunday 31st of May 2009 12:51:10 AM
Old 05-31-2009
I think what Xmessage is doing adding files buttons nothing more than that as I understand.
correct me if I'm wr0ng
It doesn't define how to add the file code to a button and how to load a file into the command????
The function of mnessgae is

Display a message or query in a window

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GUI on UNIX

Dear friends; I have Hp9000 series of Unix servers with s800 11.0 range Can i make it GUI? I heard that if you have xinit installed on the servers you can make the servers Graphical User Interface. Is it possible to make this possible? Plz. help me out... Thanx in advance... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nileshjoshi
6 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Unix GUI rendering

Does anyone know why Fonts and most Graphics in KDE and Gnome are rendered rather badly. There are some text editors in KDE where the font is just horrible as far as legible. Any links or knowledge on this topic would be grealy appreciated. A Huge Unix/Linux Fan Gregg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gdboling
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rp-7410 + Unix 11.0i + Gui(oracle)

I am running the above compination ..my server is HP rp7410 my operating system Unix 11.0I and my DB oracle.. my problem i cant print through GUI or any application only i can print through command line and text only ... where my problem to not print graphics is thier special config ot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khalid99
1 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

GUI for UNIX

Help a newbie! Just wodnering if there is an application (emulator, etc...) that will be able to read UNIX commands and bring back responses on the screen in Windows-like environment. I am looking for an app that will reside on a workstation (PC) and will querry the AIX server. If anyone can help,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leok
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If a is windows gui ( client), b is a unix gui ( Server for a) and c is a shell scrip

Hello all, 1) I want to have a GUI application that will call Unix shell scripts, 2) that GUI application should be able to reside on windows ( if possible) and then call Unix shell script either directly or through a server residing on unix. That is for example. If a is windows gui (... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hchivukula
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Unix autostart in GUI mode

hi, i'm a newbie in UNIX. i have a disk crash and re-install the unix. But the new installation does not boot the server automatically. Then i set the auto-boot to true, and it's ok. But now the system is booting in text mode. Before this, when i type boot, the system is booting in GUI mode.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lwll
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GUI For UNIX

I have used FreeBSD for sometime now and i find it great lest its ACPI support My Question is for a recent laptop AMD TURION X2 2GHZ TL-60 Tyler 3GB RAM 8400M G Are there any other GUIs that is great with these specs I have been using GNOME lite I hate KDE because of the K What will i lose... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: weinter
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX without GUI

Hello guys, I am new to Unix, because of low RAM, i want to install Unix terminal (command line) without the GUI. Basically, i want to install two Unix OS (without the GUI) on VMware and make a TCP connection between them. I have a total of 2GB RAM on the host computer running window 7, so i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Omar_M
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX with GUI

Dear Experts, My application is running on linux, which makes me connect to lot of different servers manually through putty, and execute the commands. Is there a way, i can create a GUI, or something, where click on few buttons can be translated in to predefined commands at BE and i need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
2 Replies

10. Programming

Python gui or C++ gui or java gui?

python gui or c++ gui or java gui? and when to use etch one? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaja
1 Replies
XMESSAGE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       XMESSAGE(1)

NAME
xmessage - display a message or query in a window (X-based /bin/echo) SYNOPSIS
xmessage [ -buttons label1[:value1],label2[:value2], ... ] [ options ] -file filename xmessage [ -buttons label1[:value1],label2[:value2], ... ] [ options ] message ... DESCRIPTION
The xmessage program displays a window containing a message from the command line, a file, or standard input. Along the lower edge of the message is row of buttons; clicking the left mouse button on any of these buttons will cause xmessage to exit. Which button was pressed is returned in the exit status and, optionally, by writing the label of the button to standard output. The program is typically used by shell scripts to display information to the user or to ask the user to make a choice. Unless a size is specified, xmessage sizes itself to fit the message, up to a maximum size. If the message is too big for the window, xmessage will display scroll bars. OPTIONS
These are the command line options that xmessage understands. -buttons button,button,... This option will cause xmessage to create one button for each comma-separated button argument. The corresponding resource is but- tons. Each button consists of a label optionally followed by a colon and an exit value. The label is the name of the Command but- ton widget created and will be the default text displayed to the user. Since this is the name of the widget it may be used to change any of the resources associated with that button. The exit value will be returned by xmessage if that button is selected. The default exit value is 100 plus the button number. Buttons are numbered from the left starting with one. The default string if no -buttons option is given is okay:0. -default label Defines the button with a matching label to be the default. If not specified there is no default. The corresponding resource is defaultButton. Pressing Return anywhere in the xmessage window will activate the default button. The default button has a wider border than the others. -file filename File to display. The corresponding resource is file. A filename of `-' reads from standard input. If this option is not sup- plied, xmessage will display all non-option arguments in the style of echo. Either -file or a message on the command line should be provided, but not both. -print This will cause the program to write the label of the button pressed to standard output. Equivalent to setting the printValue resource to TRUE. This is one way to get feedback as to which button was pressed. -center Pop up the window at the center of the screen. Equivalent to setting the center resource to TRUE. -nearmouse Pop up the window near the mouse cursor. Equivalent to setting the nearMouse resource to TRUE. -timeout secs Exit with status 0 after secs seconds if the user has not clicked on a button yet. The corresponding resource is timeout. WIDGET HIERARCHY
Knowing the name and position in the hierarchy of each widget is useful when specifying resources for them. In the following chart, the class and name of each widget is given. Xmessage (xmessage) Form form Text message Command (label1) Command (label2) . . . RESOURCES
The program has a few top-level application resources that allow customizations that are specific to xmessage. file A String specifying the file to display. buttons A String specifying the buttons to display. See the -buttons command-line option. defaultButton A String specifying a default button by label. printValue A Boolean value specifying whether the label of the button pressed to exit the program is written to standard output. The default is FALSE. center A Boolean value specifying whether to pop up the window at the center of the screen. The default is FALSE. nearMouse A Boolean value specifying whether to pop up the window near the mouse cursor. The default is FALSE. timeout The number of seconds after which to exit with status 0. The default is 0, which means never time out. maxHeight (class Maximum) The maximum height of the text part of the window in pixels, used if no size was specified in the geometry. The default is 0, which means use 70% of the height of the screen. maxWidth (class Maximum) The maximum width of the text part of the window in pixels, used if no size was specified in the geometry. The default is 0, which means use 70% of the width of the screen. ACTIONS
exit(value) exit immediately with an exit status of value (default 0). This action can be used with translations to provide alternate ways of exiting xmessage. default-exit() exit immediately with the exit status specified by the default button. If there is no default button, this action has no effect. EXIT STATUS
If it detects an error, xmessage returns 1, so this value should not be used with a button. SEE ALSO
X(7), echo(1), cat(1) AUTHORS
Chris Peterson, MIT Project Athena Stephen Gildea, X Consortium X Version 11 xmessage 1.0.2 XMESSAGE(1)