Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Static variable in shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Static variable in shell Post 302320892 by JerryHone on Friday 29th of May 2009 08:25:34 AM
Old 05-29-2009
Simply, no! There isn't in 'C' either for what you're describing! Each invocation of a shell script is a new process with its own allocated memory.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fake Static IP... (shell script)

I'm working on a script that runs on remote hosts and sends their dynamic IP address' to a server (which of course has statics). All the client computers run linux (as does the server). basically... the idea was: 1) Host a webpage on the server with a php script that displays only the IP... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heith
2 Replies

2. Programming

static variable storage

Hi, Where are the static variables actually stored in memory. Is it in .bss? In that case how is its storage different from global variables? From the ELF data is it possible to see the storage of different variables used in the program? eg: static int temp1; int gtemp1; main() {... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Static variable in shell

Hi All, I want a static variable in shell script. I have a script in which I want to send mail on certain condition and it happens that when that condition is met it start mailing as i have set my cron job to execute every 15 mins. And what i want is to run that script after every 15... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yagami
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

I need HELP to Set up Coyote Linux router with 1 static IP & 64 internal static IP

hello, i need help on setting my coyote linux, i've working on this for last 5 days, can't get it to work. I've been posting this message to coyote forum, and other linux forum, but haven't get any answer yet. Hope someone here can help me...... please see my attached picture first. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlwoaud
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge Static and dynamic parts in variable declaration

Dear Unix experts I want to define a variable which contains dynmic and static part, daynamic part is the first field. Sample of data dddd aaaa sssss 12345 ssss 2323 234234 4242 dddd 3223 34234 54353 ssss 24234 3434 42342 dddd rwrw 423423 werwer nawk 'BEGIN {FS=" "}{... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahyaaa
4 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Merge Static and dynamic parts in variable declaration

Dear Unix experts Moved from "Shell Programming and Scripting " I want to define a variable which contains dynmic and static part, daynamic part is the first field. Sample of data dddd aaaa sssss 12345 ssss 2323 234234 4242 dddd 3223 34234 54353 ssss 24234 3434 42342 dddd rwrw 423423... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahyaaa
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

8. Programming

C++ program is crashing on re-assigning const static member variable using an int pointer

Hi, Can any one tell me why my following program is crashing? #include <iostream> using namespace std; class CA { public: const static int i; }; const int CA::i = 10; int main() { int* pi = const_cast<int*>(&CA::i); *pi = 9; cout << CA::i << endl; } (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
6 Replies

9. Programming

Even the Static cURL Library Isn't Static

I'm writing a program which uses curl to be run on Linux PCs which will be used by a number of different users. I cannot make the users all install curl on their individual machines, so I have tried to link curl in statically, rather than using libcurl.so. I downloaded the source and created a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrandonShw
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SHELL: /bin/sh] For loop using variable variable names

Simple enough problem I think, I just can't seem to get it right. The below doesn't work as intended, it's just a function defined in a much larger script: CheckValues() { for field in \ Group_ID \ Group_Title \ Rule_ID \ Rule_Severity \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)