Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers calculate the difference between numbers in lines of file Post 302319135 by ahidayat on Sunday 24th of May 2009 07:23:29 AM
Old 05-24-2009
Thanks,
the complete example above is like this:
a/fruit/mango/1
a/fruit/mango/6
a/fruit/apple/3
a/fruit/apple/7
a/fruit/jackfruit/4
a/fruit/jackfruit/8

what i want is remove the previous line when its third field contains the same value as the third field of current line. so the result will be like this:
a/fruit/mango/6
a/fruit/apple/7
a/fruit/jackfruit/8

would you or someone help me please?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate the time difference...

Hi All, I've written a script which reads all the systems backup information and saves it in a log file. ssh -l ora${sid} ${primaryhost} "tail -2 /oracle/$ORACLE_SID/sapbackup/back$ORACLE_SID.log" |head -1 | awk '{print echo "PREVIOUS:-- Start Date&Time: " $3,$4,echo "|| End Date&Time:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suri.tyson
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate the time difference between a local file and a remote file.

I m stuck with a issue. I need to calculate the time difference between two files.. one on the local machine and one on the remote machine using a script. Can any one suggest the way this can be achevied Thanks, manohar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meetmano143
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate difference between consecutive data points in a column from a file

Hi, I have a file with one column data (sample below) and I am trying to write a shell script to calculate the difference between consecutive data valuse i.e Var = Ni -N(i-1) 0.3141 -3.6595 0.9171 5.2001 3.5331 3.7022 -6.1087 -5.1039 -9.8144 1.6516 -2.725 3.982 7.769 8.88 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: malandisa
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate age of a file | calculate time difference

Hello, I'm trying to create a shell script (#!/bin/sh) which should tell me the age of a file in minutes... I have a process, which delivers me all 15 minutes a new file and I want to have a monitoring script, which sends me an email, if the present file is older than 20 minutes. To do... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: worm
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate the mean of numbers

I have a text file which has 3 columns. The first two columns are shown below. 57 7 23 8 14 17 23 1 I need to print mean using the following formula . mean =sum of the numbers of $2/total numbers of $1 output:- sum of $2 = 33 total numbers = 4 mean= 8.25 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andreaalex
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate difference:?

Experts, file1 : Want to find the difference of $3 field from next line's 3rd field, The difference to be calculated from next lines 3rd field, to current lines lines 3rd field. file1 : Jun24_2013.06242013 3301244928 3133059904 167370640 95% Jun25_1124.06252013 3301244928... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate date difference

Hi All Can you please help me with UNIX script code that will work with ksh shell on UNIX server My Requirement Time1: 09/17/13101536 Time2: 09/16/13101536 I want to calculate the difference in minutes for the dates with format given above. I have a requirement to wait for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyb
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two files with numbers and taking difference in third file

Hi All, I have two files in the following format, with numbers being defined under columns(described by a set of headers) and rows(again defined by a set of identifiers) 2013 2013 Make200 Make201 Merc BMW Jpur Del ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate time difference between two lines

i grepped the time stamp in a file as given below now i need to calculate time difference file data: 18:29:10 22:15:50 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekn
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to calculate difference of split and sum the difference

In the awk I am trying to subtract the difference $3-$2 of each matching $4 before the first _ (underscore) and print that value in $13. I think the awk will do that, but added comments. What I am not sure off is how to add a line or lines that will add sum each matching $13 value and put it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
NL(1)								   User Commands							     NL(1)

NAME
nl - number lines of files SYNOPSIS
nl [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Write each FILE to standard output, with line numbers added. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --body-numbering=STYLE use STYLE for numbering body lines -d, --section-delimiter=CC use CC for logical page delimiters -f, --footer-numbering=STYLE use STYLE for numbering footer lines -h, --header-numbering=STYLE use STYLE for numbering header lines -i, --line-increment=NUMBER line number increment at each line -l, --join-blank-lines=NUMBER group of NUMBER empty lines counted as one -n, --number-format=FORMAT insert line numbers according to FORMAT -p, --no-renumber do not reset line numbers for each section -s, --number-separator=STRING add STRING after (possible) line number -v, --starting-line-number=NUMBER first line number for each section -w, --number-width=NUMBER use NUMBER columns for line numbers --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit By default, selects -v1 -i1 -l1 -sTAB -w6 -nrn -hn -bt -fn. CC are two delimiter characters used to construct logical page delimiters, a missing second character implies :. Type \ for . STYLE is one of: a number all lines t number only nonempty lines n number no lines pBRE number only lines that contain a match for the basic regular expression, BRE FORMAT is one of: ln left justified, no leading zeros rn right justified, no leading zeros rz right justified, leading zeros AUTHOR
Written by Scott Bartram and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report nl translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/nl> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) nl invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 NL(1)