Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Impacts of emptying /var/adm/wtmp file ? Post 302319069 by candlejack on Saturday 23rd of May 2009 05:03:39 PM
Old 05-23-2009
I definitely wouldn't delete that file, but reducing it is OK else it'll fill up /var

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP! The '/var/adm/message' file increase every few seconds???

Hi, guys, I have a big problem. I've got a sun solaris 4.1.4 workstation, and the /var/adm/message file will add one row every few seconds. It becomes a large file in a short time. I wander if there are some mistakes configuring the workstation. the /var/adm/message is as follow: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cloudsmell
3 Replies

2. Solaris

diff b/w /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

hi sirs can u tell the difference between /var/log/syslogs and /var/adm/messages in my working place i am having two servers. in one servers messages file is empty and syslog file is going on increasing.. and in another servers message file is going on increasing but syslog file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

3. Solaris

/var/adm/messages file rotation

I have a solaris 10 machine, lately I had a drive error issue so the dmesg command would show a screen full, now that the drive issue is resolved I want to have a fresh start for my #dmesg command output. The root cron looks like this The /etc/logadm.conf file has this entry If I manually... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

4. Solaris

/var/adm/meesages file empty

Do not know the reason y messages file is empty already restarted the syslog daemon but still its showing empty . xxxxxxx# more /var/adm/messages xxxxxx# # ps -efo zone,pid,ppid,time,comm | grep syslog | grep global global 11861 1 00:10 /usr/sbin/syslogd svcs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
2 Replies

5. AIX

/var/adm/messages file is missing

Hi, The server is p570 with AIX@5300-10... The messages file is missing...how do I get it back and start logging the messages?? Can I just create the file again? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkr747
2 Replies

6. Solaris

/var/adm & /var/sadm

what is the difference between tha /var/adm and /var/sadm files in solaris 10 Os please can any one respond quickly thanking you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wkbn86
2 Replies

7. AIX

/var/adm/wtmp - few entries & huge size.

Hi all. I have a strange case on one of my AIX boxes. /var/adm/wtmp on server01 is ~ 400MB large but it only has ~1200 lines. For example on server02 there are ~85000 lines and the file is ~158MB large. I check lines through 'last | wc -l'. But when I check line directly with 'wc -l... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robroy
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Difference between /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

Hi, Is the contents in /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages are same?? Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vks47
3 Replies

9. AIX

ftpd failed to write /var/adm/wtmp not owner

dear all this attached photo is send to me from Arcsight admin can you please advice ftpd failed to write /var/adm/wtmp not owner ftpd failed to write /var/adm/wtmp error 0 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Not logging ftp connections in /var/adm/wtmpx file (in last command output)

Hi all, I have F5 load balancer on my system and checking service status by opening an ftp session in every 30 seconds. These ftp sessions are being logged in /var/adm/wtmpx and filling up the file. when i run the last command most of the output is this ftp session. I was wondering if there is a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cepxat
1 Replies
lreplace(3tcl)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						    lreplace(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
lreplace - Replace elements in a list with new elements SYNOPSIS
lreplace list first last ?element element ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
lreplace returns a new list formed by replacing one or more elements of list with the element arguments. first and last are index values | specifying the first and last elements of the range to replace. The index values first and last are interpreted the same as index values | for the command string index, supporting simple index arithmetic and indices relative to the end of the list. 0 refers to the first ele- | ment of the list, and end refers to the last element of the list. If list is empty, then first and last are ignored. If first is less than zero, it is considered to refer to before the first element of the list. For non-empty lists, the element indicated by first must exist or first must indicate before the start of the list. If last is less than first, then any specified elements will be inserted into the list at the point specified by first with no elements being deleted. The element arguments specify zero or more new arguments to be added to the list in place of those that were deleted. Each element argu- ment will become a separate element of the list. If no element arguments are specified, then the elements between first and last are sim- ply deleted. If list is empty, any element arguments are added to the end of the list. EXAMPLES
Replacing an element of a list with another: % lreplace {a b c d e} 1 1 foo a foo c d e Replacing two elements of a list with three: % lreplace {a b c d e} 1 2 three more elements a three more elements d e Deleting the last element from a list in a variable: % set var {a b c d e} a b c d e % set var [lreplace $var end end] a b c d A procedure to delete a given element from a list: proc lremove {listVariable value} { upvar 1 $listVariable var set idx [lsearch -exact $var $value] set var [lreplace $var $idx $idx] } SEE ALSO
list(3tcl), lappend(3tcl), lindex(3tcl), linsert(3tcl), llength(3tcl), lsearch(3tcl), lset(3tcl), lrange(3tcl), lsort(3tcl), string(3tcl) | KEYWORDS
element, list, replace Tcl 7.4 lreplace(3tcl)