Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to mount a directory on one server to another? Post 302318485 by vincaStar on Thursday 21st of May 2009 04:23:16 PM
Old 05-21-2009
I was hoping for an answer for dummies Smilie What do I need to do to export the /home/userme/reports dir on server 1?

From what you said I am guessing the steps here...

1)Create a user with no privleges on server 1 (where dir will be mounted)
This will be the owner of the mounted volume

2)Export dir from server 2 via cmd >export dir

3)Mount dir via cmd >mount -t nfs ipaddress.server2:dir

4)Change owner of mounted volume to newly created user from step 1

Is this right?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NFS mount home directory

Hello All, I have a question that I think I have the answer to but I'm not sure. All the information I get kind of dance around it. Well, my question is if you have NFS running, automount running, with auto_master and auto_home on a server. If a user logs in form cleint machine that has... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
3 Replies

2. Solaris

How to mount a directory on another server?

Hi, I have two solaris 10 servers, and I want a directory (test) in server A be accessible in server B. I searched the web and the concept should be as follows: Server A: # share -F nfs /home/nms/test Server B: # mount -F nfs serverA:/home/nms/test /home/nms/test But when I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: racbern
1 Replies

3. AIX

mount directory as cdrom

Hi guy's, my first post here on the forum :p I did a quick search here, but did not find a direct hit, so decided to post my question. I'm taking my first steps into AIX, and right now I'm trying to install some software that I've downloaded as a zip file, and have this extracted into a mounted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psyduck
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mount directory on Linux problem

folks; I have 3 similar Linux SUSE 10 servers A, B & C I log as root and when i'm on B server & try to mount a directory on A server it works fine, but when i try to mount the same directory when i'm on C it doesn't and i get this error: Server C# mount 172.32.5.2:/var/local/export/... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mount a file or directory

Hi All, I am very new to Linux. I have just started preparation for RHCE. Can anybody pls tell me the meaning of mount a file or directory. When we mount particular file at that time what exactly we do with the file. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunalpatil09
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Can not change timestamp on directory inside cifs mount

Greetings, I have an rsync server that is unable to change the timestamp on any directories inside of cifs mounts. The same thing happens on all of my red hat machines. These machines are all patched, touch -t works on directories inside any other filesystem including NFS mounts. This is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Create
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find Mount Directory

HI , I am trying to find directories/folder for the mount path . Ex mount path : /real/path/oracle/ora/ output is drwxr-xr-x 2 oracle dba 37888 Feb 10 08:36 realdum drwxr-xr-x 2 oracle dba 16384 Feb 10 09:08 delete Is there any unix command to get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
3 Replies

8. Linux

Make directory used as mount point read-only

For my backup , I mount and external hard disk to /mnt/mybackup and then I do an rsync to /mnt/mybackup If for some reason the rsync fails, I want to prevent it from writing data on the server hard disk itself since the external hard disk will no longer be mounted on it. I want /mnt/mybackup... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can we have 2 mount point under the same name but at different directory?

guys i would like to know can we have 2 mount point which is same name but on different directory? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leecopper
3 Replies
MOUNT_FTP(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      MOUNT_FTP(8)

NAME
mount_ftp -- mount a FTP filesystem SYNOPSIS
mount_ftp [-i] [-o options] ftp://host[:port][/path] node DESCRIPTION
The mount_ftp command mounts a FTP-enabled server directory at ftp://host[:port][/path] at the mount point indicated by node. If the -i option is not used, all the required information to establish a login to the remote server must be available in the ftp URL, including username & password if needed. The user ID for all files and folders is set to the user's real user ID. The group ID for all files and directories is set to unknown, and the permissions default to read and execute for user, group and other. The options are: -i Interactive mode, you are prompted for the username and password if you did not supply one in the url. -o Options passed to mount(2) are specified with the -o option followed by a comma separated string of options. See the mount(8) man page for possible options and their meanings. The rdonly option will be set even if it was not specified because mount_ftp does not allow files to be opened with write access on servers. ftp://host[:port][/path] The FTP-enabled server directory to mount as a volume. If port is not specified, then port 21 is used. If path is not specified, then the path "/" is used. node Path to mount point. EXAMPLES
The following example illustrates how to mount the FTP-enabled server directory ftp.apple.com/ at the mount point /Volumes/mntpnt/ mount_ftp ftp://ftp.apple.com/ /Volumes/mntpnt/ SEE ALSO
mount(2), unmount(2), mount(8) HISTORY
The mount_ftp command first appeared Mac OS X Version 10.2. RETURN VALUES
0 mount_ftp successfully mounted the server directory. [ENOENT] The server directory could not be mounted by mount_ftp because the node path is invalid. [ENODEV] The server directory could not be mounted by mount_ftp because it is not FTP-enabled or because it does not exist, or because node does not have proper access. [ECANCELED] The server directory could not be mounted by mount_ftp because the user did not provide proper authentication credentials. BUGS
mount_ftp only supports mounting read-only. Mac OS X June 6, 2003 Mac OS X