Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: gethostname warning
Top Forums Programming gethostname warning Post 302318417 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 21st of May 2009 01:05:17 PM
Old 05-21-2009
You have to redesign your code somehow.

gethostbyname() is not guaranteed to work internally the same way on different architectures. If you know the architecure ahead of time, then get the source for gethostbyname for that destination system, and embed it in your code. Otherwise, you will have to figure out what version of gethostbyname you have to run for the box your code is running on, then jump to that routine. ie., include all of your possible versions of the code.

gethostbyname is part of libc, so, for example, for a red hat box try:
libc/inet/

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Programming

regarding gethostname()

i used stuct hosent h; h=gethostname("google.com"); if(h==NULL) printf("net down"); else printf("net down"); my question hoe this gethostname will verify whether net ia active or inactive i eman whether by usin ping or sending socket . if it is socket which type of socket it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani_sree
5 Replies
BYTEORDER(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					      BYTEORDER(3)

NAME
htonl, htons, ntohl, ntohs -- convert values between host and network byte order LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <arpa/inet.h> or #include <netinet/in.h> uint32_t htonl(uint32_t hostlong); uint16_t htons(uint16_t hostshort); uint32_t ntohl(uint32_t netlong); uint16_t ntohs(uint16_t netshort); DESCRIPTION
These routines convert 16 and 32 bit quantities between network byte order and host byte order. On machines which have a byte order which is the same as the network order, routines are defined as null macros. These routines are most often used in conjunction with Internet addresses and ports as returned by gethostbyname(3) and getservent(3). SEE ALSO
gethostbyname(3), getservent(3), byteorder(9) STANDARDS
The byteorder functions conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The byteorder functions appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
On the VAX bytes are handled backwards from most everyone else in the world. This is not expected to be fixed in the near future. BSD
March 20, 2005 BSD