Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Any Way to pause/unpause system execution in HP-UX 11.11 and 11.23? Post 302318391 by deckard on Thursday 21st of May 2009 12:14:32 PM
Old 05-21-2009
Any Way to pause/unpause system execution in HP-UX 11.11 and 11.23?

This may seem like an odd question, but I've heard that on old Alpha servers running OpenVMS, you could pause the system so that the OS is essentially suspended for a small period of time, then unpause it and it would pick up where it left off. During the pause, all CPU cycles would be halted, all i/o would be essentially dead. So I'm wondering if it's possible to do something like this on HP-UX 11.11 and 11.23.

My goal is to stop the systems from accessing or changing data on SAN hosted file systems long enough for me to get snapshots and then unpause the systems again. This would minimize our downtime for snapshots (to use for backup to tape). Since the file systems are on a SAN, the pause would not affect them. The reason I need to make sure that NO I/O happens is that all of the SAN hosted file systems are striped using LVM (for load balancing across the dual HBA and fiber paths to the SAN). I suspect that if even the most minute I/O happens while trying to make a snapshot in serial succession that the stripes would be out of sync and I'd have hosed snapshots.

So is there any way to do this, or am I dreaming?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

system("PAUSE") Problem.....

Ok, here's the situation....I have this code... #include <iostream.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main() { cout << "\nBlah, and Blah\n\n"; system("PAUSE"); return 0; } Now, "system("PAUSE")" gets executed before "cout" does, and I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbolthouse
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to pause another process?

I guess I posted in wrong forum before. How do I pause another process and then restart it on linux? The other process doesn't listen for anything. Thanks for any help you can offer. Dane :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daneensign
1 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

Parallel Execution on Multiple System

Hi All, I am working on a project where I need to execute set of arguments (around 500) on a Simulator. If I execute this on one linux (RedHat 8.0) machine it will approximately takes 2~3 days. Since I am having more linux machines am thinking of executing these on different machines in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 123an
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pause() problems

well is gets stuck and i dont know why....... pid=fork(); if(pid==0) { pause(); write(1,"child",5); exit(0); } else { sleep(1); kill(pid,SIGCONT); write(1,"parent",5); wait(0); } all=1; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IdleProc
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pause a shell script

Hi, I've written a shell script to take photos with my camera. After every picture taken, the picture is transmitted to the computer via usb and then deleted on the camera. But sometimes there's an error and the picture is not deleted and so, after a certain time, the camera chip will be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: McLennon
4 Replies

6. Programming

Problem with execution of fork system call if i use \n

hi all, i tried the following source codes: fork1.c: main() { printf("demo of fork\n"); fork(); printf("hello"); } output: demo of fork hello hello fork2.c: main() (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnirmala
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ring the system bell many times without pause?

I am writing a ksh script in cygwin though it could just as easily be bash and am trying to make an alert for myself where the bell rings many times like print '\a'or echo '^G'except I want it to ping me many times not just once. For some reason doing print '\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a'or similar... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: benalt
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pause processes in remote host and resume execution in another remote host

Hi, Given addresses of 2 remote machines, using a shell script is it possible to get the state of running processes in "src" stop all the processes in "src" exit out of "src" ssh into "dest" resume the state of executing processes captured in step 1 in "dest" Assumption: "src" is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saeya Darsan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pause before exit

6) printf "\n GoodBye! \n\n"; exit ;; I am trying modify the above command to pause a couple of seconds before exiting, so a message can be displayed. Thank you :). (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies
curl_easy_pause(3)						  libcurl Manual						curl_easy_pause(3)

NAME
curl_easy_pause - pause and unpause a connection SYNOPSIS
#include <curl/curl.h> CURLcode curl_easy_pause(CURL *handle, int bitmask ); DESCRIPTION
Using this function, you can explicitly mark a running connection to get paused, and you can unpause a connection that was previously paused. A connection can be paused by using this function or by letting the read or the write callbacks return the proper magic return code (CURL_READFUNC_PAUSE and CURL_WRITEFUNC_PAUSE). A write callback that returns pause signals to the library that it couldn't take care of any data at all, and that data will then be delivered again to the callback when the writing is later unpaused. NOTE: while it may feel tempting, take care and notice that you cannot call this function from another thread. When this function is called to unpause reading, the chance is high that you will get your write callback called before this function returns. The handle argument is of course identifying the handle that operates on the connection you want to pause or unpause. The bitmask argument is a set of bits that sets the new state of the connection. The following bits can be used: CURLPAUSE_RECV Pause receiving data. There will be no data received on this connection until this function is called again without this bit set. Thus, the write callback (CURLOPT_WRITEFUNCTION) won't be called. CURLPAUSE_SEND Pause sending data. There will be no data sent on this connection until this function is called again without this bit set. Thus, the read callback (CURLOPT_READFUNCTION) won't be called. CURLPAUSE_ALL Convenience define that pauses both directions. CURLPAUSE_CONT Convenience define that unpauses both directions RETURN VALUE
CURLE_OK (zero) means that the option was set properly, and a non-zero return code means something wrong occurred after the new state was set. See the libcurl-errors(3) man page for the full list with descriptions. AVAILABILITY
This function was added in libcurl 7.18.0. Before this version, there was no explicit support for pausing transfers. MEMORY USE
When pausing a read by returning the magic return code from a write callback, the read data is already in libcurl's internal buffers so it'll have to keep it in an allocated buffer until the reading is again unpaused using this function. If the downloaded data is compressed and is asked to get uncompressed automatically on download, libcurl will continue to uncompress the entire downloaded chunk and it will cache the data uncompressed. This has the side- effect that if you download something that is com- pressed a lot, it can result in a very large data amount needing to be allocated to save the data during the pause. This said, you should probably consider not using paused reading if you allow libcurl to uncompress data automatically. SEE ALSO
curl_easy_cleanup(3), curl_easy_reset(3) libcurl 7.18.0 17 Dec 2007 curl_easy_pause(3)