Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help to print lines contains particular string format in a file Post 302317811 by vidyadhar85 on Wednesday 20th of May 2009 04:11:54 AM
Old 05-20-2009
you can use grep ,sed or awk
just go through the man pages

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print current month - 1 in string format

I need to get the current month -1 in string format, like Feb-2006. I am using k shell. Any help is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mogli4
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the number of lines from a file, the starting string should be passed`

Hi , I have file, which has the below content: line 100 a b c d line300 a s d f s line200 a s d a (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print string at the end of lines in text file

hello, I go text file like this E:/DDD/Dyndede/wwww E:/DDD/sss.com/ffffg/fff E:/DDD/vvvvvv/dd E:/DDD/sss.com/bbbbbb E:/DDD/sss.com/nnnn/xxI want to print /alpha.jpg at the end of every lines like that E:/DDD/Dyndede/wwww/alpha.jpg E:/DDD/sss.com/ffffg/fff/alpha.jpg... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidkhan
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print #of lines after search string in a big file

I have a command which prints #lines after and before the search string in the huge file nawk 'c-->0;$0~s{if(b)for(c=b+1;c>1;c--)print r;print;c=a}b{r=$0}' b=0 a=10 s="STRING1" FILE The file is 5 gig big. It works great and prints 10 lines after the lines which contains search string in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash184u
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines between two lines after grep for a text string

I have several very large file that are extracts from Oracle tables. These files are formatted in XML type syntax with multiple entries like: <ROW> some information more information </ROW> I want to grep for some words, then print all lines between <ROW> AND </ROW>. Can this be done with AWK?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbruce
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare 2 files print the lines of file 2 that contain a string from file 1

Hello I am a new unix user, and I have a work related task to compare 2 files and print all of the lines in file 2 that contain a string from file 1 Note: the fields are in different columns in the files. I suspect the is a good use for awk? Thanks for your time & help File 1 123 232 W343... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KevinRidley
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the lines in a file for the given string?

Hi, I have a file with contents test id text day test sah dh dhs yeay fg jsh jsjk my need: I give a string as a input, it check the file and display the lines with the given string e.g input : test output: test id text day test sah dh dhs (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for the string and then print the next 4 lines

RHEL 5.8 I have a text file like below. I want to grep for a string and then print the next 4 lines including the line with the string I grepped for For eg: I want grep for the string HANS and then print the next 4 lines including HANS $ cat someText.txt JOHN NATIONALITY:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print all lines after a string

My file has the following contents... User:SYS,O/SUser:oracle,Process:10813484,Machine:host123.xxx.xxx.xxxxxxx.com.au,Program:sqlplus@host123.xxx.xxx.xxxxxxx.com.au(TNSV1-V,LogonTime:24-JUL-2014 15:04 I would like to print all character appearing after the string LogonTime: My output... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagesh_1985
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string and print all lines upto another string

Ok I would like to do the following file test contains the following lines. between the lines ABC there may be any amount of lines up to the next ABC entry. I want to grep for the filename.txt entry and print the lines in between (and including that line) up to and including the last line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: revaroo
3 Replies
NPRINT(1)							      nprint								 NPRINT(1)

NAME
nprint - NetWare print client SYNOPSIS
nprint [ -S server ] [ -h ] [ -U username | -n ] [ -C ] [ -q queuename ] [ -d job-description ] [ -p pathname-in-banner ] [ -B username-in- banner ] [ -s ] [ -f filename-in-banner ] [ -l lines ] [ -r rows ] [ -c copies ] [ -t tab size ] [ -T ] [ -N ] [ -F form-number ] filename DESCRIPTION
With nprint, you can print files on print queues of a NetWare file server. There are a lot of options, so you should probably wrap some default configurations into some shell scripts. nprint looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of .nwclient MUST be 600, for security reasons. OPTIONS
filename filename is the name of the file you want to print. If file is '-', or no filename is given, standard input is used. -h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U username username is the user name to use for the print request at the server. -P password password is the password to use for the print request at the server. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connec- tion to the server, nprint prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the print request. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. -q queuename queuename is the name of the print queue to use at the print server. At present, you must specify it in upper case characters. -d job-description job-description is the string that appears in pconsole when you list the jobs for the print queue. It will also appear in the "Descrip- tion" field on the banner page. -p pathname-in-banner pathname-in-banner is the string (up to 79 characters) you want to be printed in the "Directory" field on the banner page. -B username-in-banner username-in-banner is the string (up to 12 characters) you want to appear on the lower part of the banner page. It will also appear in the "User name" field. -s Supress printing of banner page -f filename-in-banner filename-in-banner is the string (up to 12 characters) you want to appear in large letters on the lower part of the banner page. Default: the name of the file that is printed, or 'stdin'. -l lines lines is the number of lines to put on one page. Default: 66. -r rows rows is the number of rows to put on one page. Default: 80. -c copies copies tells the print server to the specified number of copies. Default: 1. -t tabs tabs is the number of spaces to print for a Tab-Character. Default: 8. -T tells the print server to expand Tab-Character and use 8 spaces -N tells the print server not to use Form Feeds -F form-number form-number is the the number of the form to be put into the printer. If it's different from the one currently in the printer, your job is only printed if a printer operator has put in the correct form. NOTES
The '-B' option was formerly '-b'. But it conflicted with 'bindery only' login option. SEE ALSO
nwclient(5), slist(1), pqlist(1), ncpmount(8), ncpumount(8) CREDITS
nprint was written by Volker Lendecke (lendecke@math.uni-goettingen.de) nprint 12/27/1995 NPRINT(1)